Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

Personally, I wouldn't unless I felt I needed to. On the one hand you get cool robot powers, but I still haven't found the perfect root beer!

If I did put my brain in a robot body, I'd be one of those terrible old timey robots with vacuum tube arms, clamps for hands, and treadmill based locomotion.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Re: Would you put your brain in a robot body?

Nope.

My brain in a robot body wouldn't be me any longer. And I suspect that I wouldn't like the new me very much.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Maybe.

Depends on if there's anything that I really need to accomplish that can't be accomplished without one. It also depends on the body in question and the technology being used for the transfer. It's not high on my list of entertaining things to do with a day but I expect that given enough sufficiently extreme circumstances it could happen.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yeah I would, But only when I was close to death, because I've always wondered which bit of you dies first, and how long a brain would survive, if the heart stopping is what kills us, our brain could live longer or the brain could be what dies first, It would just be cool to know because then we could prolong life
        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

My husband is all for artificially extended life. He welcomes the day when he can put his brain in a robot.

As for me, I welcome the day that I finally die. The longer I have to live means the longer I have to work and pay bills, and that just doesn't appeal to me.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
            The longer I have to live means the longer I have to work and pay bills, and that just doesn't appeal to me.
            This is why I'm a writer, I get payed to do something I'd do for free. Plus, what bills does a robot need to pay?

All you really need is regular maintenance and a power supply, which are things that can be gotten cheaply or free.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            My brain in a robot body wouldn't be me any longer. And I suspect that I wouldn't like the new me very much.
            I am not the me I was yesterday, but do I weep for his passing or scorn the coming morrow? Of course not, because I've reached a sort of narcissistic nirvana.

I am fine letting a new version of me take over because I trust myself, I know that no matter what I won't let myself down. Plus, living life dreading the future is hardly living at all.

Change is as much a rebirth as it is a death, and I'm fine with that. My essense lives on, and as long as a version me exists to do awesome things and stuff... That's an accomplishement, whether I'm robot me, or clone me, or alien thrall me, or nanite swarm me, or whatever.

I don't define ME as exactly what I am now, I am also all I once was as well as all I can be. There is no truer death than forgetting the past or ending the future.
            Last edited by Denarius; 20 Oct 2011, 12:49.
            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
              This is why I'm a writer, I get payed to do something I'd do for free. Plus, what bills does a robot need to pay?

All you really need is regular maintenance and a power supply, which are things that can be gotten cheaply or free.
              If it was just another robot, yeah, sure, stick 'em in a garage or something. But you're talking about adding the sentient portion of a human to the robot body. That adds a human element of basic necessities that a regular ol' robot doesn't have. And who says robot maintenance would be cheap, especially one with the capability to support a brain? If I was a cybernetic-body-engineer/mechanic/surgeon, I would want to be paid for my time and expertise.

Comment

If you were an advanced brainbot, you would be a cybernetic-body-engineer/mechanic/surgeon. You'd just download the knowledge to do so like they did on the Matrix.

Basically, there's an app for that.

Comment

If you were an advanced brainbot, you would be a cybernetic-body-engineer/mechanic/surgeon. You'd just download the knowledge to do so like they did on the Matrix.

Basically, there's an app for that.
                  Not everyone may switch over to a robot body, which means the 'real' people will still need to feed, shelter and clothe themselves, and unless it's a post-apocalyptic scenario giving rise to cybernetic bodies, those 'real' people are still going to engage in commerce.

So where do you get the materials to build your replacement parts? How do you manufacture the stuff? How do you obtain the power & resources for the manufacturing process? Even if you're working with nanotechnology, the raw materials don't just coalesce out of thin air. Someone controls it, owns it - and will want some sort of goods or services for their product. Which means payment or work of some fashion. Even a 3D printer requires raw materials.

Comment

Raw materials are easilly scavenged, and cheaply bought. I bet I could get a couple hundred pounds of mixed metals by the end of the month! Without spending a dime more than I would have already.

Comment

Uhhhhh... no.

I like me just fine this way. Even if something happened to my body to the point that, in order to remain conscious, I would have to use a robot body, I'm not sure I'd even consider it.

Comment

I am fine letting a new version of me take over because I trust myself, I know that no matter what I won't let myself down. Plus, living life dreading the future is hardly living at all.
                        LOL - yes, well, I'm not much afraid of change either. But you misunderstood...

My body and I are very tight - we've been working together for years. I don't know about you, but as a result of that close association, I have a huge chunk of my conciousness stored in my body. Replace my meat with metal and I think I'd be a retard - at least I'd feel like one. And that's what I don't think I'd like.

Also, I don't know what you dread about the future, but I can't find much dread of the future in me. I'm looking forward to it.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Raw materials are easilly scavenged, and cheaply bought. I bet I could get a couple hundred pounds of mixed metals by the end of the month! Without spending a dime more than I would have already.
                          So what, exactly, are you going to do in your robot body that makes you so insistent that it will be a moneyless endeavor?

Comment

Working...
                          X