Summerian Spirituality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summerian Spirituality

Hi. I don't really post on here much, but I have recently started taking a great interest in Sumerian spirituality and mythology and was wondering if anybody could recommend some good books or sources of information on it. I am having a bit of trouble because I am finding a lot of conflicting views on Sumerian mythology and spirituality. Some talking about aliens and Planet X and UFOs, others saying that's wrong and that its another way. So Basically I am finding conflicting ideas. And I am sure everyone around here is familiar with Joy of Satan (not even going to go into that one...).

But I was just wondering if someone could recommend me some good reliable sources on it. Especially the spiritual and religious aspect. I have found myself drawn to it a lot lately for some reason. And just want to explore it and see if I can find out why.

Re: Summerian Spirituality

I would say that if anything is talking about aliens, to put it down or close it out and find another source. There is no reputable source on any ancient culture that includes alien visitation or influence, period.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I am not too big on the alien thing myself. Some of the ancient alien theories I find interesting. But eh, still find it hard to believe.

Comment

When it comes to ancient belief systems, there is always going to be conflicting views and theories. Because it is was so very long ago, anything we know is based on surviving writings and speculation. If you are looking for a scholarly point of view (as opposed to alien-seeped mythos), "The Sumerians: Their History, Culture, and Character" by Samuel Noah Kramer is an excellent place to start. There is also "Ancient Sumerians" by Shawn Cain. If alien intervention theories interest you, "There Were Giants Upon the Earth: Gods, Demigods, and Human Ancestry: The Evidence of Alien DNA" by Zecharia Sitchin and " The Ancient Alien Question: A New Inquiry Into the Existence, Evidence, and Influence of Ancient Visitors" by Philip Coppens (a some-what cynical approach to the question) are interesting.

I hope that one of these is what you were looking for. I think it's pretty disappointing that so many people lack faith that the human race could have developed socially and culturally on its own. Ancient astronaut theories seem, to me, to be a surrogate for creation theory. But that's just my opinion.

Samuel Noah Kramer, I believe, has written several books concerning Sumerians, but he repeats alot of information. The book I suggest by him is a pretty good summation of the rest of his works. The same goes for Zecharia Sitchin.
        Last edited by babyfyrefly; 09 Nov 2011, 12:41. Reason: OCD, correcting typos

Comment

Found Something on Sumerian Religion you might be interested in:
          http://www.templeofsumer.org/

Comment

There is some question as to what the Sumerian written text mean,there is mention as to the origin of the God's themselves as having come down from another planet.

Though the idea of Nibiru being an extra planet has many thinking it is a "Weird idea" these things do show up in the Sumerian texts.
            One can't simply ignore these writings,but everything must be viewed in context.

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Stregheria does have something of a connection to this,as there is the belief in the Watchers or the Keepers or the Guardians.
            Named the Grigori in Stregheria,they seem to reflect the Watchers in the book of enoch,and the Sumerian Annunaki.

It is an interesting subject,and you can learn more here about Stregheria.

Pour acheter des appareils sur internet ça nécessite un grand nombre de recherche, car chaque type de produit de consommation est unique et les
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Any good text will list references as well and when researching, these references can be very valuable. For instance, Wikipedia isn't very reliable. But if you go down to their references, you can often find at least somewhat reliable sources of information that you can go to to further your study. They same will probably be true of any book you find unless the author is relying completely on primary sources, like the actual tablets or whatever the text is on.
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

My path is rather well defined for me and has been for a long time. There are, however, exceptions. One of these is my irrational attraction to the goddess Innana. For the life of me I couldn't say why. It isn't Sumerian religion overall that calls to me. It is Innana herself. Maybe because she is said to be goddess of prostitutes (although I have never used a prostitute.) My only rationalization I can muster is that she may - in my mind anyhow- symbolize freedom from society's prudish mores. Who knows? Either way, Sumeria holds a fascination for me that defies my current understanding.

Let the learning continue!
                sigpicFor something different, visit my blog: http://theunknownwizard.blogspot.com

Comment

I find a lot of decent stuff under the google scholar mode.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Nahua View Post
                    Found Something on Sumerian Religion you might be interested in:
                    http://www.templeofsumer.org/
                    They do have alot of good information on there, but it largely reflects the person who runs its personal views more than the actual beliefs of the sumerians. I'd recommend reading books on the subject such as the ones he has listed on his site, as well as going to sites like:

The Electronic Text Corpus of Sumerian Literature, Faculty of Oriental Studies, University of Oxford

An interesting note about these sumerian ancient aliens thing is that they universally say that the Anunnaki are aliens. The reality is, the Anunnaki are Enlil, Anu, Enki, Utu, Nanna, and Inanna. All have names that limit them to Earth. Lord Wind, Sky, Lord Earth, Sun, Moon, Lady of the Datepalm Storehouses (at least that's what scholars think her name came from).
                    I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
                    I became Abdishtar this spring.
                    Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

Working...
                    X