This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mind/Body Duality

C. My Tai Chi instructor always said, "The mind moves the energy, and the energy moves the body."

Comment

Originally posted by Arneci View Post
      C. My Tai Chi instructor always said, "The mind moves the energy, and the energy moves the body."
      Arneci, I pretty much agree with your Tai Chi instructor. But I'd ask "What does the body move?" I'd answer myself "The mind."
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think you are your mind/brain. Chop off an arm you're still you. Chop off a chunk of brain and you forget your kids exist. The body is just a protective shell encasing organs needed to power the brain, or self.

I can understand how unromantic and potentially depressing that idea is, which I why I think it's hard for some people to come to terms with. It's not nice to know that the entirety of your being is a series of electrical, machine-like impulses in a little 3 pound lump of flesh. Then again, that idea is something that actually comforts me when I'm going through bad stuff in my life. Puts how small my problems are into perspective.
        Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Wondering View Post
          I can understand how unromantic and potentially depressing that idea is, which I why I think it's hard for some people to come to terms with. It's not nice to know that the entirety of your being is a series of electrical, machine-like impulses in a little 3 pound lump of flesh. Then again, that idea is something that actually comforts me when I'm going through bad stuff in my life. Puts how small my problems are into perspective.
          You know, I know people do find that idea to be, well, uninspiring, but I like to look at it the other way...

Isn't it absolutely amazing that that little three pound lump of flesh has the power to contain an entire universe of personal and collective experiences? I mean really... It's mostly fat, but anything which is knowable can make itself known there.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The part about love and bonding reminds me of two pets I had,a miniature dachshund,and a grown Tabby cat. I got the Dachshund as a tiny puppy(Female) when the Cat(Female) was fully grown. The cat named tigger raised the puppy and they would sleep curled up togather all the time. When the dachshund died some years later,the Cat went into a funk for 3 months,and almost died from not eating.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              You know, I know people do find that idea to be, well, uninspiring, but I like to look at it the other way...

Isn't it absolutely amazing that that little three pound lump of flesh has the power to contain an entire universe of personal and collective experiences? I mean really... It's mostly fat, but anything which is knowable can make itself known there.
              I agree so completely with this. The brain is so effin' amazing!
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                This made me giggle. Taliesyn is an ex-chef and he's always saying "Fat carries flavor". Apply that to the brain and it makes me lol. I voted B.

However, there is evidence that not all of our memories and experiences are stored in our brains. How to explain the person who receives a heart transplant and begins to exhibit characteristics of the donor's personality? How to explain phantom limb pain? There are several forms of massage therapy that focus on emotional release from massage. One form says that we store certain emotions in specific body parts: resentment is stored around your IT band (outside of your thigh) for example. Here is a link to a "map". It isn't exactly what I was looking for, but it gives a general idea. http://www.energybalancing.com/health/love.html

Right now (I have to add that caveat, because my opinions are often subject to change. I'm a Gemini, I can't help it.) I believe that all of our cells carry an imprint of "who we are". Each cell of our body is capable of such amazing feats. And yes, it's a big complicated electrical system with the brain as the one running the show.

The personality is not to be confused with the concept of the soul. I believe that our soul can have many incorporations, but the personality is unique to each incarnation. Personality is a product of nature (our bodies) and nurture (our surroundings). As someone else has said, "We are spiritual beings having a human experience".

Comment

you can't break this down into parts. your mind is NOT your brain. your brain is part of your body, your body and your mind are both manefestations of your spirit.

Comment

Working...
                  X