Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best reason for choosing a particular religious world view?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best reason for choosing a particular religious world view?

In your opinion, what is the BEST reason for choosing a perticular religious (or atheistic) world view?

A. It is currently popular
    B. It is "true"
    C. It "feels" right
    D. It is "good for society"
    E. The "depth" of it's metaphysical teaching
    F. Other???

Explain your reasoning, if possible.
    A. It is currently popular
    0%
    B. It is "true"
    0%
    C. It "feels" right
    0%
    D. It is "good for society"
    0%
    E. The "depth" of it's metaphysics
    0%
    F. Other???
    0%
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Best reason for choosing a particular religious world view?

I voted for B. It is "true".

In my opinion, it's just the one options that makes the most sense. If I believe in something, and I don't think it's true, then I wouldn't really be believing in it, would I?
    [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
      I voted for B. It is "true".

In my opinion, it's just the one options that makes the most sense. If I believe in something, and I don't think it's true, then I wouldn't really be believing in it, would I?
      That does seem to be the most logical choice, doesn't it?

I suppose that a problem might come up, though, if a person finds truth in several different religions, or finds some degree of non-truth in all religions, or if there are problems deciding whether to interpret certain things in a religion as metaphorical truth when they clearly violate direct observation.

In other words, which (if any) religion is truly true isn't always clear enough for a person to pick just one.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Generic truth is subjective. Personal truth is more truthful.

I've tried a lot of different religious philosophies on for size, and none of them taken as a whole pie (or cake) felt 'right'. It's that Goldilocks thing. Christianity and its analogues were too exclusive, the New Age was too inclusive, Scientology was too expensive, various cults were too... cultish, atheism and agnosticism weren't cultish enough. I never felt comfortable in religions that insisted their path was the One Right Path because what rings true for one person may not ring true for another.
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          I never felt comfortable in religions that insisted their path was the One Right Path because what rings true for one person may not ring true for another.
          I have the same problem.

Oops. I meant "virtue."

Comment

I voted for it feels right. I don't think a religion can be true to you if it doesn't feel right. And as long as your religion feels right I think it is harder for you to care if someone agrees with you or not, and who wants to spend time worrying over whether or not someone agrees with you religiously? Religion is one of those things almost no one agrees 100% on with another individual, so it feeling right to you is all that should matter, at least in my opinion.

Comment

I've noticed that as well, Emeryth - people who are confident and comfortable in their choices tend to be better able to tolerate differences, and are less likely to get emotionally upset in discussions when people disagree with them.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                That does seem to be the most logical choice, doesn't it?
                At least to me

I suppose that a problem might come up, though, if a person finds truth in several different religions, or finds some degree of non-truth in all religions,
                I can understand finding some truth in different religions, but my problem is with finding non truth in religions. Why would you follow that religion (or all of them) if there are clear non truths in them?

If you don't believe the world rests on a giant turtle, why would you believe a religion that makes that claim? If you don't believe that the earth is only 6000-10000 year old, why would you follow a religion that makes that claim?

or if there are problems deciding whether to interpret certain things in a religion as metaphorical truth when they clearly violate direct observation.
                You should use your own intellect in deciding whether or not a statement was made as a metaphor or not. Usually the author makes a distinction between the two.

In other words, which (if any) religion is truly true isn't always clear enough for a person to pick just one.
                I firmly believe one should always seek the truth and pursue knowledge as long as they live. And this is just my own opinion here, but I do think truthfulness stands very clear from falsehood.
                [4:82]

Comment

If it feels right, then I'm probably being true to my needs, if it doesn't feel right, then I'm not being true to myself really am I?
                  "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                  - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I voted "feels right", but I don't care for that wording.

Most people who follow something that appeals to them spend years, if not a whole lifetime, studying it, researching, praying, meditating, etc, etc. "Feels right" seems slightly flippant at that point, if unintentionally so.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

In my search, I feel I've used both of the more popular reasons to help narrow things down. I think most people do, to some degree.

For instance, I chose to accept ancient polytheistic and animistic world views because I felt they were true, and sincerely do believe in multiple Gods and spirits. All of the alternatives to this view rang a little false to me. However, I chose to be a Slavic polytheist because it feels right for me, even though I see validity in most if not all ancient traditions.
                      Last edited by Yazichestvo; 18 Nov 2011, 12:30.
                      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I'm somewhere between B and C...like "feels right"= (personal) "truth"

...so...other?
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                          I voted "feels right", but I don't care for that wording.

Most people who follow something that appeals to them spend years, if not a whole lifetime, studying it, researching, praying, meditating, etc, etc. "Feels right" seems slightly flippant at that point, if unintentionally so.
                          Many times, though, people won't start the research unless they hit on something that rings true for them, or 'feels right'.

I've known a lot of people who are uncomfortable or unhappy with their religion and spirituality (mostly Christians & Catholics, but I've known a few 'lifer' Wiccans), and stay that way, simply because at some point someone told them, "this is religion, this is who you are, this is who God is, this is the One True Path". Because that's how they were raised or indoctrinated, they never think to look for other paths or faiths - and when exposed to other beliefs, they dismiss them out of hand because the religion they're practicing is 'the One True Path'. But because they're not really comfortable with their own beliefs, they also never look deeper into their own faiths and end up paying lip service to it, becoming Christmas/Easter Christians/Catholics or Samhain/Yule Wiccans.
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I said "if it feels right".

Reason? Well "if it feels right" covers all religions, all spiritualities and lack thereof. It "feels right" for me to be an atheist and not believe in anything as equally as it "feels right" for a theist to believe. It makes religion/spirituality a personal thing which is as it should be and it allows for me to have my own option and own thoughts about the universe and not be judged on it.
                            "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I said other. My first thought was "it feels right", but it's not really that simple. When I first learned about Wicca, I was instantly attracted to it because it was a fairly close match to what I already believed. However, I also try to maintain a logical approach too, which is why I cannot label myself "Wiccan". So, I kinda feel like a "religious world view" is something that evolves from experience and perspective over time. What you label your view may be based on what "feels right" or seems to fit best, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X