Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Magic Power of Witchcraft. Opinions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Magic Power of Witchcraft. Opinions?

A while back I was browsing through the books at a local Goodwill when I came across one titled "The Magic Power of Witchcraft" by Gavin Frost and Yvonne Frost. Some of the stuff I read in there made me go "WTF?" (perhaps I'm misremembering--it's been a few months since--but I seem to recall chapters on how to put curses on peoples, and the tagline on the front cover included "unbelievable riches") and I didn't buy the book because I was with some other people that probably would not have understood why I was buying it. lol.
    But after a quick online search, it seems this book gets a lot of positive reviews from some folks. I'm curious to see if any witches--or anyone who has read this--on this board has an opinion on this book. Good? Bad?

Re: The Magic Power of Witchcraft. Opinions?

ZOMG ITS BRAN!

in other news...
    i usually chalk up anything published that claims to be so miraculous you'll get rich from magic as a crock of something smelly mushy and brown.... mainly because if word got out then people would be all like We are the 99% Occupy the Occult! XD however sometimes its nice to read through and get a chuckle... also every now and then you can find some good out of books like that too. see if you can find a pdf sample on google or something... i might look sometime tomorrow and get back in here.. lol
    "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

The Frosts are some of the 'Grand Old Folkes' of the Wiccan world. They founded one of the first correspondence courses in Wicca - the Church and School of Wicca - back in 1968. I've always found their writing similar to stuff done by Selena Fox (probably because they are contemporaries), and no better or worse than most books on witchcraft & Wicca.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Branflakes View Post
        A while back I was browsing through the books at a local Goodwill when I came across one titled "The Magic Power of Witchcraft" by Gavin Frost and Yvonne Frost. Some of the stuff I read in there made me go "WTF?" (perhaps I'm misremembering--it's been a few months since--but I seem to recall chapters on how to put curses on peoples, and the tagline on the front cover included "unbelievable riches") and I didn't buy the book because I was with some other people that probably would not have understood why I was buying it. lol.
        But after a quick online search, it seems this book gets a lot of positive reviews from some folks. I'm curious to see if any witches--or anyone who has read this--on this board has an opinion on this book. Good? Bad?
        If it's the Goodwill I'm thinking of, I never find those books there /jealousy

That said, it depends. Perz already covered some of the stuff with the Frosts, but with their books in general it really depends on what you want. I can't recall if that book gets deeper than the "presto-chango riches", but it does have some unorthodox methods.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, the book just kinda gave me a weird feeling like, "wtf..." The creepy melty font on the front cover didn't exactly help, either. :P

Originally posted by Dufonce View Post
          ZOMG ITS BRAN!
          lol, yeah...sorry I've been gone for a while! Hoping to be able to stick around a bit more often.

If it's the Goodwill I'm thinking of, I never find those books there /jealousy
          The Goodwill in Olathe? They have some pretty cool books once in a while.

Comment

I think that the fact this text was in the goodwill to begin with should give you an idea of its previous owners opinions regarding its usefulness...

Comment

Originally posted by Branflakes View Post
              ... the book just kinda gave me a weird feeling like, "wtf..." The creepy melty font on the front cover didn't exactly help, either. :P
              Hey, just because it's the Comic Sans of spellbooks doesn't mean it's bad, lol.

There are some goofy spellbooks & witchcraft books out there. Everything usually rhymes, too.

I've never been very creative, so when one of the High Priestesses I studied under told us that spells work better if they rhyme, I went with it. One of the spell 'formulas' she gave us was 'Money money, come to me/Money, money, set me free/Money, money, come to me/As I do will so mote it be'. So from that point on, every spell I did used those exact words.

'Lover, lover, come to me/Justice, justice, come to me/Good job, good job, come to me/Better sales, better sales, come to me...'
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                I think that the fact this text was in the goodwill to begin with should give you an idea of its previous owners opinions regarding its usefulness...
                lol, hey now, there's some good books at Goodwill! :P

Originally posted by perzephone
                Hey, just because it's the Comic Sans of spellbooks doesn't mean it's bad, lol.

There are some goofy spellbooks & witchcraft books out there. Everything usually rhymes, too.

I've never been very creative, so when one of the High Priestesses I studied under told us that spells work better if they rhyme, I went with it. One of the spell 'formulas' she gave us was 'Money money, come to me/Money, money, set me free/Money, money, come to me/As I do will so mote it be'. So from that point on, every spell I did used those exact words.

'Lover, lover, come to me/Justice, justice, come to me/Good job, good job, come to me/Better sales, better sales, come to me...'
                haha. I've heard about that "rhyming scheme" before. I could never take it seriously.

Comment

I really wouldn't read Gavin and Yvonne Frost if I were you...as far as I know they are considered beyond the pale due to their advocacy of child sexual abuse by parents in one of their books.

Comment

Working...
                  X