Yule/Solstice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yule/Solstice

A friend of mine sent this to me. May you and yours not be doomed by an elder god!
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
      The local moot in the town where I live has rented a room from the Quakers who are happy for us to hold a Yule ritual there so I am debating whether to go to that.
      I love Quakers. They're just so nice!

Comment

So...today (with the kids) we are recognizing Hanukkah (since today is the 1st day) with the story of The Miracle of the Potato Latkes and we are cooking potato latkes, as well as a sweet potato variation.

(I really want to check these books out for the kidlets...there is a whole series of Jewish holiday kids books about Sammy the Spider and his first Hanukkah, Rosh Hashanah, Passover, etc...still looking for good Islamic kids books...)

For Yule itself, Phee's favorite story is this one, and we also have the book The Winter Solstice, which talks about different holidays of the season. I think this year we might include this story too.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

That sounds so fun!

Darn it, I was going to do something for Hanukkah this year, but my recent change in dietary needs kind of makes potato pancakes not an option
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

My toddler loves singing about the sun and saying hi so Solstice is perfect for her! We sing the song she loves all the time "Oh Mister Sun, Sun, Mister Golden Sun Please shine down on me!" We have a holiday tree up with a giant star on top. Some plastic flashing candles in the window. We are new to our pagan beliefs, and this is our first holiday season in our own place as a family, so we don't have any traditions/celebrations mapped out well yet... but next year I plan to exchange homemade gifts, and have more of celebration on Solstice. This year will be more of an inward reflection than outward celebration. We're having our feast on New Years Eve to say goodbye to old year and welcome the new one. I'm having my first attempt at making a turkey. We'll also be celebrating Christmas on the 24th since our families are all Christian. Just some gifts for the kids they bought. We hate the emphasis on huge expensive gifts during the holidays so next year I'm looking forward to being much more low key and focused on family and the meaning of the season.

Comment

For Yule I give an offering and thanks to the deities and nature spirits. I also light incense. This year is kind of weird with Hanukkah falling on basically the same day as Yule. I was raised Jewish so I also celebrate Hanukkah. I have four menorahs but I only use one of them. Then every year on Christmas day my cousins [who celebrate both Christmas and Hanukkah] invite me and my parents over their house and we order Chinese food for dinner. So I guess you could say I sort of, kind of celebrate a secular Christmas even tho I am not christian. It's more of a family time holiday for me. Have a wonderful and Blessed holiday season everyone!
              -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

I think I mentioned on another thread that I'm just lighting a special candle this year, since I'll be working most of today. However, I plan to clean my altar and everything on it on the first of the calendar year.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I like to hold a full ritual, but as I have limited space right now that won't be happening. I've decorated my smaller shrine/altar with holey stones for the Mother, Sun God plaque, an oak branch, fresh ivy from just outside, a red candle for the Sun, and a black candle paired with a white one to represent the Holly King passing his torch to his brother Oak.

My little annual tradition is to watch the Pee-wee's Playhouse Christmas Special. (Yup, I'm a big dork who loves Paul Reubens and Pee-wee Herman. ) That show is totally diverse, what with the ninety seconds they devoted to Hanukkah and Charo singing "Feliz Navidad." :P

I'll probably simmer some nice spicy potpouri later and maybe bake some cinnamon-spice cookies.

Last night, mere minutes after the actual Solstice began, I just happened to be outside walking my dog when I looked up at the sky and saw a shooting star. It was totally unexpected, made me jump a bit, haha.
                  Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

Okay...I just had to share, because its *hilarious-cute*

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X