Mental Static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mental Static

Over the past year, I've made a lot of progress in my path and understanding who my Guardians are and what they expect of me. One of the biggest problems I'm having, though, is with what I've been calling "mental static".

I was diagnosed with ADD about twenty years ago, and to this day, I still have a hard time focusing. My thoughts race and sometimes even trip over each other.

There are days when praying and communicating with my Guardians is easy. But there have been a lot where it's like trying to listen to a radio station when another is cutting into the feed--sometimes, I can't hear them at all because of it. Even putting on music in the background just leads to me focusing on that.

Oddly, I don't have this problem during guided meditation.

Do you have any advice on how to help me focus better so I can hear what they're trying to tell me?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Mental Static

If you're able to focus during guided meditations, maybe try some audio books or poetry. Just spoken-word things, without potentially distracting background music.

Something I found that works for me are soft rhythmic noises, like a clock ticking in another room, or a metronome, the sound of a neighbor sweeping a porch, or even one of those oscillating sprinklers.

The only other advice I have is to practice often, even if it's just a 3 - 5 minute burst every day. Trying to schedule meditation until you get the natural feeling for it is another way to help you focus. As you're waiting for your meditation 'appointment', you're already kind of gearing yourself up to enter an altered state of consciousness.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I don't think audio books would work for me, because I'd just focus on the story. Soft, rhythmic noises are something I hadn't thought of, though. I found a site online that simulates a metronome, so I will try that next time. I will also try scheduling.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Just as an update, I found a youtube file that was of windchimes and it's helped immensely. Thank you again for the suggestion, perzephone.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Anytime I've been meditating for a loooong time. Not sure what the overall goal is yet, but I keep practicing.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Glad you found something that worked. I was going to suggest rhythmic breathing which is along the lines of what you found and what perz suggested.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

I've never tried rhythmic breathing, but I would like an option that doesn't involve me having my computer on. I will try it, thank you!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
              X