There are good people in the world...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are good people in the world...

I read this and it made me cry. Seriously. After all the bad news this holiday season (people fighting to buy things on sale, Euro crisis, poverty etc) it's nice to read something like this!

To sum it up, people have been going into Kmart stores and paying for people's Christmas layaway orders.

Re: There are good people in the world...

I love stories like this; it helps to restore my faith in humanity.

Here's one I heard on the radio yesterday: Security guard goes above and beyond. The short of it is, a woman lost an envelope with $300 of her Christmas money. A mall security guard found it and, after a lot of detective work, personally returned it her.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I remember taking my children to the cinema on Boxing dAY (Dec 26th) and we were paying for it with money they had made by carol singing. On the way (we had to walk.... no buses that day) we got soaked by a car driving into a puddle near us, and then lost the money somewhere in town. We were standing on a corner, panicking, when a taxi driver drew up, asked what was wrong and it turned out he'd found our money (no idea how that happened) and gave it back to us. There are some truly lovely people in the world .... check out my blog entry here : http://tylluanpenry.blog.co.uk/2007/...rmour~3152776/ for another example
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Here's a place in Texas where the police hand out gift certificates to GOOD drivers -

http://www.nbcdfw.com/traffic/transi...135620058.html

---------- Post added at 08:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 AM ----------

And here's a guy who was once a homeless drug addict, but worked hard and earned a master's degree in social work. He thanks a judge for making the opportunity possible...

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/Miami-m...135553318.html

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

One more - here's a town with a population of 900 which manages to get through hard times by pulling together and working for their mutual benefit.

For example, they have managed to raise over $1,000,000 for the local hospital by putting on original plays they've written themselves, in the opera house they built themselves. Meanwhile, all he towns around them are going belly up:

http://www.happynews.com/news/121320...ving-ghost.htm
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Something Thal's mentioned elsewhere before: The town of Todmorden in England started growing all of it's own vegetables in garden strips around town. The veggies grown by the school help fund it. They are adding more projects with a goal to become self-sufficient, and have seen a reduction in crime.

The vegetable plots are the most visible sign of an amazing plan: to make Todmorden (resident Estelle Brown is pictured) the first town in the country that is self-sufficient in food.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
            Something Thal's mentioned elsewhere before: The town of Todmorden in England started growing all of it's own vegetables in garden strips around town. The veggies grown by the school help fund it. They are adding more projects with a goal to become self-sufficient, and have seen a reduction in crime.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...g-ALL-veg.html
            That's really cool! I love stuff like that!

I have visions of getting ahold of one of Berlin's many empty lots (brought to us by WWII) and starting a food gardening project and if it's big enough even throwing in chickens and goats (for milk).

The problem is here that there is SO much vandalism...someone tried to start a bunch of guerilla gardening projects last year and they were gone within a week. Some others have worked out though, and givebox (kiosks set up around the city where you can leave stuff you don't want and take stuff you do) has survived despite being vandalized. It's sad because we see so many good ideas here full of optimism but this city is rife with people FULL of hate (seriously, there are signs everywhere saying stuff like 'foreigners get out' 'Berlin is for Berliners' 'Yuppies Out' etc) and my neighbourhood is kind of in the middle of it (having lots of yuppies, people from wealthier southern Germany and well-off foreigners from places like France, Scandinavia, the UK and the US)...so we get a lot of the vandalism when people try to do nice things like set up book swap trees, charity bins and guerilla gardens

Comment

St. Louis's secret Santa
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X