• Show
Clear All

Re: Posting Style and Grammar Tips

Guilty...
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Watchadoin? ... Nuttin ... Jess gitndun ... Sup? ... Nuttin ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=410.msg9442#msg9442 date=1288745303]
        Watchadoin? ... Nuttin ... Jess gitndun ... Sup? ... Nuttin ...
        [/quote]

Goan t'th mall, yantu?
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by sd3189541
          I didn't get the topic so please explain it.
          It's a posting/style guide for using on-line forums. Unfortunately, during a recent move, the code for some punctuation marks has been mangled, turning contractions into html hash codes :P

Comment

I didn't know exactly where to put this, but I've found another grammar tool that people might find helpful: phras.in

It's designed to determine when to use certain easily confused words, like 'that' or 'which', 'affect' vs 'effect', lay/lie, layed/laid, that kind of thing.

For instance, by typing in 'that people might find' vs 'which people might find', it determines that 'that people might find' is the better wording.

Comment

Ok, the only thing I see a problem with is that instead of apostrophes there are ' or some other weird code there.

Comment

Ok, the only thing I see a problem with is that instead of apostrophes there are ' or some other weird code there.
                The site was previously in SMF. When the owners switched over to VB, it did funny things to a lot of the posts that were made with the old software. You'll see quote errors and odd code in a lot of the older posts. Anything within the 2+ (I think, may be less) years should be unnaffected.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  It doesn't look like we've got a thread like this on the new forum. Some people have been using online forums since the concept arrived on the internet. Other people have some experience with them, and some are brand new. I just figured a brief 'style guide' could help people make posts more readable and understandable for everyone.

1) Take your time and type out whole words. There isn't any need to use 'text' or 'leet' speak in a forum. If you're rushed but want to reply, the thread most likely isn't going anywhere.

2) If making a long post or reply, break it up into short paragraphs. It's easier to read and follow visually.

3) Add a space after punctuation, and capitalize the first letter of any word following a period.

4) Use relevant subject titles to give readers an idea of what the thread will contain. 'Job Not Giving Pagans Holidays Off' is probably better than 'OMGWTF!!! So MADDDD!!!'

5) If you're not sure how something is spelled, check an online dictionary or a word-processing program's spell-checker. You can always copy and paste an entire post into a word-processor or on-line spell-checker like this one: Free Public Spell Checker.

6) If you're making a list of items in a single sentence, use a comma after each item (a comma before 'and' designating the last item in a list is optional - some guides say use one, others say it's not necessary): "Today I ate peaches, potato pancakes, eggs, ham, bread and thirteen babies" not "Today I ate peaches potato pancakes eggs ham bread and thirteen babies".

7) Book & movie titles should be italicized.

Oh, and because I am a pompous ass:

If 'it' owns something, use its - 'its book, its cookie'. If 'it' is doing something, use it's (it is). It's annoying when people mix them up, isn't it?

Your sister is going if you are. You're (you are) going, aren't you? In days of yore, you'd both need a chaperone.

Their (possessive) book is over there (location). They're (they are) going to have to get it themselves.
                  I cleaned up the SMF-to-VB problems
                  Last edited by Ophidia; 21 Aug 2013, 23:42. Reason: The Code box is not working for me - it's italicizing instead of showing the [i]

Comment

Working...
                  X