This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended Reading

I've been looking around for a thread devoted to recommending good Pagan books, but I can't seem to find them.

So, could you recommend some books for me here? Any path will do--I'm not looking for any one thing, but to expand my knowledge. Thank you very much!
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Recommended Reading

I have a reading list on my blog that might interest you.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I have a reading list on my blog that might interest you.
      Oh, wonderful! Thank you very much!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
        Oh, wonderful! Thank you very much!
        You are very welcome!
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I was just wondering if there was a thread like this anywhere on the forum, so this is handy.

Thanks for the great list Thalassa.
          "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..."

Comment

There is this,though I can't vouch for the content.

Internet Sacred Text Archive - Quiet place in cyberspace devoted to religious tolerance and scholarship.

Some interesting stuff,and they do sell a CD full of these also.
            Downloads are free
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

There is also a fantastic book (and some web linky) list ( a bit heavy on Celtic stuff) here (I don't think its linked on my blog list, though I should probably add it)...some of my recommendations undoubtedly overlap, largely because it was my first personal reading list!
              sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the reading list! I see a few I've browsed before, particularly the Higginbottoms' book. It's a very good book that helps the reader sort out what they know from popular culture/mainstream religions, and what they know because of their own experiences and knowledge. I second/third/vote for that one!

Comment

"A History of Pagan Europe" by Prudence Jones and Nigel Pennick. The book is pretty good.

Comment

I'm not sure if you're looking for just the religious side of the equation or if your interested in the witchcraft side. The Inner Temple of Witchcraft by Christopher Penkzak is really fantastic. It's the first in a series by him, and it's all about establishing your inner temple, awakening to your psychic potential, ect. The whole series is how covens train their new recruits. So the next one is the priest/priestess level, then the shamanic journey, followed by the fourth which is the Temple of High Witchcraft.

Comment

Originally posted by Arneci View Post
                      I'm not sure if you're looking for just the religious side of the equation or if your interested in the witchcraft side. The Inner Temple of Witchcraft by Christopher Penkzak is really fantastic. It's the first in a series by him, and it's all about establishing your inner temple, awakening to your psychic potential, ect. The whole series is how covens train their new recruits. So the next one is the priest/priestess level, then the shamanic journey, followed by the fourth which is the Temple of High Witchcraft.
                      My particular path doesn't involve spellwork or witchcraft, but this certainly sounds intereting. Thank you!

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Bummer... a former covener and I were thinking of writing a series of books based on the training material of our coven. We were irritated by what some authors were passing off as 'advanced wicca' and thought it would be nice to offer another approach and show how the degrees can actually build upon one another. Seems we were beaten to it. Never mind.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          Bummer... a former covener and I were thinking of writing a series of books based on the training material of our coven. We were irritated by what some authors were passing off as 'advanced wicca' and thought it would be nice to offer another approach and show how the degrees can actually build upon one another. Seems we were beaten to it. Never mind.
                          You should still write it! Don't let the existence of another book keep you from writing.

Comment

You should still write it! Don't let the existence of another book keep you from writing.
                            Hmm.. I might do. Right now, I am working on my own beliefs, going over my BOS with a fine toothed comb. When I am done, I might do the same with the coven material. If I can get them cheap, I might have a look at the books you've mentioned to see if they're anything like our material. I can be unfairly critical of such things though, because I have a kinda 'no one makes brownies like my mum's' attitude towards the coven. Although I don't really think our way was better and I value the traditions of other groups. It's just that I am precious about our ways, if you know what I'm saying?
                            Last edited by Jembru; 24 Jan 2012, 15:43.
                            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              Hmm.. I might do. Right now, I am working on my own beliefs, going over my BOS with a fine toothed comb. When I am done, I might do the same with the coven material. If I can get them cheap, I might have a look at the books you've mentioned to see if they're anything like our material. I can be unfairly critical of such things though, because I have a kinda 'no one makes brownies like my mum's' attitude towards the coven. Although I don't really think our way was better and I value the traditions of other groups. It's just that I am precious about our ways, if you know what I'm saying?
                              Definitely. I've never taken part in a coven myself, but I definitely have that attitude myself. My coven tends to be my "tribe", the people I meet that are like me in that way. One of my best friends turned out to be a very open-minded Christian, and came to his own personal awakening. I walked him and trained him in a brisk way that I was trained: "So this stuff is real, and yes, you can do it...ect, ect." We practiced for a while, and then he was like: "You're not getting any info that way. Let me try mine." To say the least it worked, and I felt a little shocked at seeing something else work. It was kind of funny, but I think I'm getting off topic.

Here's the amazon link for the first one:
                              http://www.amazon.com/Inner-Temple-W...7469848&sr=8-1

My particular path doesn't involve spellwork or witchcraft, but this certainly sounds intereting. Thank you!
                              Hmmmm...it's funny. I was going to say that my list doesn't end there, but I just realized as I looked through my books that all of them on paganism in any way have some connection to spellwork and witchcraft. I could recommend a lot of books for that, but none that haven't already been mentioned for paganism in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X