X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a deity is calling to me, but I don't know who it is

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum and I'm very new to Paganism in general. I'm still studying the religion, and it does very much appeal to me, but I know I still have a to learn. From what I already know, I enjoy Wicca, except for the common, duotheistic God/Goddess/All One way of worship and the entire religion typically being based on the gods of the British Isles. I'm more interested in a polytheistic, separate-but-interconnected type of worship and I've always been drawn to the Kemetic/Egyptian deities.

Anyway, that's just a little background information. Here's my real issue: I still haven't found my patron god or matron goddess, but I think one or the other is trying to connect with me, but I have no idea who it is or how to find out. About a week and a have ago, I made a simple offering of bread and water to the gods, basically telling them that I am ready to accept them into my life. I buried the bread and water under the earth in my backyard, thanked them, and that was that.

Fast forward about a few days, I leave my home and go on vacation in another state. After staying there for about two days or so, when I'm about to leave to go back home, I smell a distinct scent of pine in my hotel room. The smell seemed to come out of absolutely nowhere, and I was the only one that seemed to smell it. There were no pine trees where I vacationed, neither I nor anyone else had come in contact with any kind of pine-scented thing, and I know the hotel servers didn't scent the room with pine fresheners. So, I figured it's a deity trying to get in contact with me, but there are so many out there and pine is so common that I'm having trouble figuring out who it is. Part of me really does hope that it is an Egyptian deity, but I know that just because I'm interested in a certain god/goddess doesn't mean they're interested in me, so I'm keeping my mind open.

I know this isn't a lot of information, but can anyone help me out at all? If you need to know more, I'll be glad to provide the information.

Re: I think a deity is calling to me, but I don't know who it is

The only pagan deity who I know was associated with the pine tree is Attis.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Yazichestvo View Post
      The only pagan deity who I know was associated with the pine tree is Attis.
      Looking into it now, I see that Attis is associated with the pine tree, but I see many deities listed along with him, such as Artemis, Rhea, Dionysus, Bacchus, and more. However, I'm using the internet to research this, so I'm not sure how credible these sources are or even what criteria I should be using to figure out who it is. Thank you for your help, though!

Comment

It might help to just make yourself available. Meditate,pray, whatever feels comfortable and ask if someone is trying to get in touch with you.

Don't worry if you don't get anything concrete,either, or if you don't get anything right away. Everyone experiences the divine differently(if they experience it at all), and you'll find that there are many different perspectives on here, ranging from gods as archetypes or functions of the subconscious to hard polytheism. Each of those might give you a very different response about what to look for, but I'm pretty sure most would say keep your mind and heart open, and see what happens!
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by JSMitchell View Post
          Looking into it now, I see that Attis is associated with the pine tree, but I see many deities listed along with him, such as Artemis, Rhea, Dionysus, Bacchus, and more.
          I actually haven't seen much in the way of historical evidence for Artemis being associated with pine (although it may be out there), but speaking from personal experience she does seem to like them...

However, since there are several Deities that may be associated with pine, I would try out Dez's advice. See if any other information (or even a direct name, it does happen sometimes) comes up.
          Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Like Dez said, just keep yourself open and you'll figure it out eventually. Mythology tells us that the gods aren't infallible, but in my mind they're pretty close; that is, if they want your attention they'll get it in one way or another as long as you let them.

On a side note, I don't see why Artemis wouldn't enjoy pine. As a huntress I'm sure she's around it often enough.
            Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
            -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
              On a side note, I don't see why Artemis wouldn't enjoy pine. As a huntress I'm sure she's around it often enough.
              She'd also be around a great number of animals, and while a protector and hunter of them all, there are only (traditionally) a few that she has strong ties to. It's the same for plants and trees. Just because one is around something a lot doesn't mean they have any special fondness for it. While I wouldn't remove her from the list of possibilities just because it's not necessarily a traditional association, it is something to keep in mind while searching.
              Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Thank you all so much for your help!

I already meditate, since I'm also practicing Buddhism, but I guess I'll try to meditate with an open mind and with a different focus more often. I also just made another, simple offering to the gods as a gift of appreciation, so I'm feeling good and confident right now.

Thanks again for everyone's advice, and feel free to add in anymore input, since I'm new to Paganism and still learning.

Comment

Oh, either last night or a few nights ago, I had a dream. I don't remember much of the dream, but I clearly remember looking up at a full moon during the night. There weren't many stars that I remember, but it was in the middle of the night and the moon seemed abnormally large in the sky/close to the earth.

Does this, along with the pine scent, give out anymore clues? I'm looking into it myself, but does anyone have any information to share?

Comment

Originally posted by JSMitchell View Post
                    Does this, along with the pine scent, give out anymore clues? I'm looking into it myself, but does anyone have any information to share?
                    As far as I'm aware, the only deity mentioned so far with ties to the moon is Artemis. (Although it might also be possible that these are unrelated events?)
                    Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Gardenia makes a good point.

It's always good to assume that something is chance unless you get enough evidence to at least satisfy you that it's the case.

There's also the possibility that once you open the door, more then one deity will be in touch.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                      X