Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beauty of People and the World

dictionary.com)

I don't know why somethings are beautiful and others are not. I do know that my ideas of beauty are unconventional. Everything in the world is beautiful. People are beautiful, flowers, trees, the sky, tilled soil, the neighbor's cat and the beetles in the garden are all wonderful. Happiness, torment, disease, prayer, love, anger, blasphemy and rapture are all also beautiful. I don't expect everyone to understand why I find all these things beautiful but I'm interested in knowing what others do think is appealing to the eye and soul.
    Circe

Re: The Beauty of People and the World

I thing is beautiful when your soul touches it and feels pleasure.

Which means, less poetically, that each person is drawn, as if by hunger, to particular varieties of sensory experiences. In the population, there some general averages in types of sensory experiences to which people are drawn. That's why many people find certain types of things (like flowers) so attractive.

But each person is different in the particular mix and degree of of experiences to which he/she is drawn - which is why no two people will ever agree exactly on what "is" beautiful.

Then, when one perceives that to which one is drawn, one feels pleasure. We call the thing that creates that experience "beauty."

I find old, well worn machinery made of metal and wood, where both metal and wood have aged and developed a nice patina together. That's why I collect old rifles.

I also like tools which show age by being well worn from use, but which have been well cared for.

And bunnies and kitties, of course.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Music is especially beautiful to me. It's beautiful because it often makes me cry and I feel perfect when I'm playing it, writing it or listening to it, It lifts me out of my actual body and into some place awesome
      "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
      - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Beauty is what makes us feel good and appreciative of life and the world. A beautiful person is someone who tries to spread this good feeling and happiness, drawn from his/her own experience of beauty, to the surrounding world and fellow-beings.

Can anyone suggest blogs/sites that celebrate beauty and joy of life in a pagan spirit? I know Nelland < Link Removed by staff >
        Last edited by Juniper; 18 Jan 2012, 17:52. Reason: Read forum rules

Comment

Love is the most beautiful thing in the world. Fulfilling one moment, tragic the next...so spontaneous. =D

Comment

Hugh Jackman is f'ing beautiful.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

From a rather clinical perspective, beauty in human beings is most often what happens when we see a collection of traits that imply youth and health. The most attractive features are often the most standardized and even.

The funny thing to me, is that often the people who are the most truly attractive don't fit that standard. I have a massive girl-crush on Katharine Hepburn, for example, and she was not the stereotypical leading lady of her day.

Some things, like flowers, I think owe a great deal of their beauty to their fragility. Here is something that will be gone entirely, in a matter of days or hours.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                I thing is beautiful when your soul touches it and feels pleasure.

[snip]

Then, when one perceives that to which one is drawn, one feels pleasure. We call the thing that creates that experience "beauty."
                That's about what I was going to say. Beauty goes beyond mere physical attraction; true beauty is something that moves you, or someone that draws you. It's not always nice or even always pleasant, but you just know it when you experience it. Superficial beauty fades; true beauty is forever.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                  Superficial beauty fades; true beauty is forever.
                  Don't you think there is something beautiful about something which won't last forever?
                  Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                    Don't you think there is something beautiful about something which won't last forever?
                    Even if say, a beautiful flower dies or a beautiful painting is destroyed, that doesn't make them not beautiful when they're gone. There's tragedy in them being gone, but they're not no longer beautiful because of it, if that makes sense.
                    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                    X