Help! Disgusting dog habit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Disgusting dog habit!

Perhaps you guessed it? My dog is eating cat dook. I just moved in with a friend of mine who has three cats and my dog cannot resist eating out of their litter box. I've yelled at her and tonight I spanked her for the first time (for this, anyway) and I feel bad, but I don't know what else to do. She obviously doesn't like getting in trouble but negative reinforcement hasn't worked so far.

It is possible, for now, to put the litter box up on a higher surface, but that room is going to be remodeled soon so that is only a temporary solution. A few minutes ago I let Melody sniff some dried onion and she wasn't impressed, so I threw some into the litter box, hoping it would deter her. What can I do if that doesn't work?

I've read that dogs eat cat poo because it has a bunch of fiber in it from undigested cat food, so maybe I should give her a fiber supplement? Or maybe she's just a dumb dog who will eat anything remotely edible. I dunno. All I know is it's effing gross seeing her waltz in with litter hanging from her chin and licking her chops, and of course I don't want her to get sick.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Help! Disgusting dog habit!

Gag.

Sorry, not a dog person...the first thought that spings to mind is spray the beast with water every time it pokes around, but obviously, that's a cat thing....
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Cat poo is high in protein, which is why dogs believe that it is like an energy bar. The best thing to do is put the cat box someplace the dog can't get to it, or block it off w/child gates & leave a gap only big enough for the cat, and just stay vigilant about hollering at the dog every time it goes near the cat box area. You could also try getting some of the supplemental pills that supposedly make poo unpalatable - but you'll have to give your cat the pill, which may risk life and limb.

Please, don't put onion where your dog, or cat, can eat it - onion is extremely bad for them and can cause a fatal form of anemia.

Onion toxicity
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
        Cat poo is high in protein, which is why dogs believe that it is like an energy bar. The best thing to do is put the cat box someplace the dog can't get to it, or block it off w/child gates & leave a gap only big enough for the cat, and just stay vigilant about hollering at the dog every time it goes near the cat box area. You could also try getting some of the supplemental pills that supposedly make poo unpalatable - but you'll have to give your cat the pill, which may risk life and limb.

Please, don't put onion where your dog, or cat, can eat it - onion is extremely bad for them and can cause a fatal form of anemia.

Onion toxicity
        Yeah, unfortunately our place is small so it's not really possible to put the box in a place she can't get to, and giving these cats pills most definitely risks losing at least a finger - they're jungle hybrids and just picking them up will usually result in bloodshed.

So I guess I will just have to stay on her when she goes toward that room. She got a beating today, so maybe that'll do that trick. And no, for the record, I don't beat my dog to the point of abuse...just whaps on the butt when she needs to know she's doing something really wrong.

Thanks for the help.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Yup - that's dogs for ya. Mine does that, and also licks the duck poop off my boots when I come in from feeding them... One of the reasons why I don't bother buying the expensive dog food.

Anything that smells bad enough to keep the dog out of the boxes will keep the cats out too, so that's out. You don't have much room, so locations are limited...

Try this - get one of those litter boxes with a hood/cover over it. Turn the litter box so that the opening is toward a corner. The cats should still be able to get in, but it would be much more awkward for the dog to get it's head around and in there.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

This is why I don't let dogs kiss me on the face. They eat cat poop. They lick their own junk.

Hell to the no.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              Try this - get one of those litter boxes with a hood/cover over it. Turn the litter box so that the opening is toward a corner. The cats should still be able to get in, but it would be much more awkward for the dog to get it's head around and in there.
              Now that's an idea. The litter box does have a cover on it, so I'll have to see if the kitties are smart enough to still get in if it's facing a corner. They can be mean little jerks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they crapped on the floor out of spite. It's definitely worth a try, though. Thanks.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
                Now that's an idea. The litter box does have a cover on it, so I'll have to see if the kitties are smart enough to still get in if it's facing a corner. They can be mean little jerks, so I wouldn't be surprised if they crapped on the floor out of spite. It's definitely worth a try, though. Thanks.
                Save some of the used little to put a 'starter' smell in the new cat box. They may still poop in spite, but recognizing a familiar smell in the new box will help them adjust.
                The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                  Save some of the used little to put a 'starter' smell in the new cat box. They may still poop in spite, but recognizing a familiar smell in the new box will help them adjust.
                  It's the same box, but I'll keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks.
                  -Erik Erikson

Comment

Have you tried bitter apple?

Comment

I second bitter apple. My mom's old dog kept chewing on a corner of the wall (I don't even know); spraying it with bitter apple got him to stop.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I'm familiar with bitter apple but unfortunately don't have any money to spend on it right now. I'll keep it in mind, though...I didn't know you could use it for that. Thanks.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I didn't read but the first post, but I just had to say that yo should never throw onion anywhere near cats. They are allergic to onions, garlic, etc and throiwng onion in the litter box could make them terribly sick. Take it out!
                          Please disregard typos in above post. I browse the web on a Nook and i suck at typing on touch screens.

Comment

A friend of mine LOVES that her dog eats the cat poop. She says she hardly ever has to clean the box. *shudders*

I had to resort to putting the catbox in a room with a teeny cat door. A regular cat door, my 50 lb dog could squeeze through for the delicious tidbits the cats were trying to hide from her.

There is also a powder you can sprinkle of cat food that is supposed to make their poop unpalatable. I could only find one doing a quick search (I've seen it at the pet store) but it's to feed to dogs. I love the description:
                            "Gives feces a forbidding and unpalatable taste to discourage stool eating"
                            yeah...cuz feces is usually not forbidding and unpalatable...
                            The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Originally posted by Just_Wondering View Post
                              I didn't read but the first post, but I just had to say that yo should never throw onion anywhere near cats. They are allergic to onions, garlic, etc and throiwng onion in the litter box could make them terribly sick. Take it out!
                              The box has since been cleaned and the kitties are fine.

Originally posted by Madness View Post
                              A friend of mine LOVES that her dog eats the cat poop. She says she hardly ever has to clean the box. *shudders*
                              Ick.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                              X