Night Attacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night Attacks

I've been waking up with scratches on me that weren't there when I went to sleep. This isn't exactly new for me--it will happen for a few days to a week, then drop off fo a while, and has for the last several years. But, I'm really confused about it and I was wondering what could be causing it and what it could mean.

So far, the scratches have appeared on my hands, my arms, and my chest; the most recent one I noticed today is on my right inner forearm. If they have anywhere else, I haven't noticed.

A few things to consider:

-I don't sleep with any animals in my bed, so they couldn't be something like cat scratches. My own fingernails are kept very short.

-They don't hurt unless I touch them. In fact, I often don't notice them until I just happen to glance at them or someone asks me how I got them. They're red line scratches; it doesn't look like any of them have drawn blood.

-There's nothing sharp on my bed. I don't even have a headboard (I sleep on a futon). I sleep on my stomach with my hands tucked under the pillows.

-I haven't had any particularly violent dreams lately. Or at least, I don't remember having any.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Night Attacks

I don't know what to tell you. I wake up with bruises all the time but I always chalked it up to the fact that I bruise easily (and sometimes bruises take time to form) and I might not notice if I bump into something that gives me a bruise. I've had the odd scratch like that too, but I think it's the same sort of thing.

Do you have a high pain threshold? If you do, you might not notice when you scratch yourself.

Comment

This seems to be quite common but there is often no obvious explanation. Last week, I think the day after the assault, my boyfriend woke up with three scratches on his neck. They had not been there before we went to bed, because of course he was checked all over for injuries. I DO have quite long nails, so I guess it could have been me, but we also sleep on a futon (one of the foam base ones that can be folded up and shoved in a cupboard when not in use, so no sharp edges at all) and we have no cats or dogs living with us. It's very strange and I'd be interested to see if anyone can offer any possible explanation.
      Last edited by Jembru; 11 Jan 2012, 15:42.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Aside from a supernatural explanation I got nothing. Whenever my brother particularly pisses me off though (sorta like now actually) he wakes up with long scratches that do bleed. Of course there might be an alternate explanation but after some, I'll call it experimentation, I think I might be causing it.

**EDIT after I thought a bit**
        If it's any kind of spirit or demon then there are a few possible options. For the most part spirits cannot cross a line of salt, cold iron is also a deterrent (I have several steel rings for this, since iron jewelry sorta sucks), of course there are exceptions to both of these and while neither is really practical it's something to think about. Any kind of holy symbol would be useful against harm from malignant entities (specifically a symbol which evokes the power of a deity or other force of protection).

If there is an entity attacking you (and sticking around to do so continually) doing a banishing ritual might help. Doing this at nighttime would probably be most useful. Some people burn Sage, Sweet grass, lavender, ect. to cleanse an area. Songs (especially uplifting tunes) can be used to repel spirits, though this might be because they make you feel better. Chocolate is my preferred material honestly for it's different uses. Sweets have been offered to spirits for centuries, it's easy to get and when eaten it causes the release of endorphins. Plus it just tastes good.

If I recall you have spirit guardians? Have you consulted with them yet?
        Last edited by Corvus; 11 Jan 2012, 20:59.
        Circe

Comment

Waking up with scratches is almost always a symptom of a psychic attack. Obviously try and eliminate and physical causes first. Then begin doing some thorough cleansing - never put outdoor coats or shoes on the bed while an attack is current. Put a cut clove of garlic in the room - cut side uppermost, replacing it every day and burning the old pieces. Are there any other symptoms - odd sounds (especially bells) bad smells (rotting flesh, excrement)?
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It's probably one of two things. Either your skin feels itchy while you are sleeping so you keep scratching yourself. Which is why they often happen at spots which your hands can easier reach to, as opposed to your back.

Or
            Originally posted by habbalah View Post
            In fact, I often don't notice them until I just happen to glance at them or someone asks me how I got them.
            These scratches happen during the previous day, and you just happen to notice them after you go to bed. It's also common to discover bruises the next day because they don't develop (get their color) right away.

I don't think you should be worried about anything. Especially since you are just getting scratches as opposed to bruises which could indicate a blood clotting problem.

You can always try sleeping with mittens on (Just kidding!)
            [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              Waking up with scratches is almost always a symptom of a psychic attack. Obviously try and eliminate and physical causes first. Then begin doing some thorough cleansing - never put outdoor coats or shoes on the bed while an attack is current. Put a cut clove of garlic in the room - cut side uppermost, replacing it every day and burning the old pieces. Are there any other symptoms - odd sounds (especially bells) bad smells (rotting flesh, excrement)?
              Interesting.

Kind of unrelated but there's a weird smell in my hall all the time that doesn't seem to be related to the litter box in the bathroom, kind of like chicken that's gone off (but not quite rotting). Do you think that could be something like that? It's ONLY in the hall and sometimes the doorway to my bedroom (and by my bed).

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                Interesting.

Kind of unrelated but there's a weird smell in my hall all the time that doesn't seem to be related to the litter box in the bathroom, kind of like chicken that's gone off (but not quite rotting). Do you think that could be something like that? It's ONLY in the hall and sometimes the doorway to my bedroom (and by my bed).
                I have a feeling you do this regularly, but don't forget to check any garbage cans you have in the bathroom. Toilet water can sometimes do that too.
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

Interesting.

I think maybe a mouse died inside your wall, DanieMarie. We got something a lot like that when a stray cat died in the crawl space under our previous house.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                    I have a feeling you do this regularly, but don't forget to check any garbage cans you have in the bathroom. Toilet water can sometimes do that too.
                    I have a litter locker! It's amazing :P

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    I think maybe a mouse died inside your wall, DanieMarie. We got something a lot like that when a stray cat died in the crawl space under our previous house.

That's what I'm afraid of. But I don't think I can do anything about it, because I live on the top floor of a brand new condo building and everything is totally sealed. I'd almost rather it be an entity to be honest :/

Comment

Do you have a high pain threshold? If you do, you might not notice when you scratch yourself.
                      I do have a high pain threshold, but I wake up very easily if something touches me. Still, this is entirely possible.

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                      If I recall you have spirit guardians? Have you consulted with them yet?
                      Stupidly, I hadn't even considered asking them. I should ask them about it tonight.

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      Are there any other symptoms - odd sounds (especially bells) bad smells (rotting flesh, excrement)?
                      To both you and Corvus, I was planning on doing a clensing of my room after I recovered from being sick, just to get rid of that negative energy. Maybe I should do it earlier.

I haven't noticed any odd smells (but I can't smell anything right now with my nose so plugged up!). As for odd sounds, no, but I've had odd...not dreams, but thoughts? I'm not quite asleep, but between awake and asleep, I'll feel like there's a lot of conflict going on around me.

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                      It's probably one of two things. Either your skin feels itchy while you are sleeping so you keep scratching yourself. Which is why they often happen at spots which your hands can easier reach to, as opposed to your back.
                      I'd never notice if they were on my back--I never look at my back! But this, or having a scratch that hasn't colored in yet, is still very possible. Maybe I should sleep with mittens.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Interesting.

I know the intake for our central a/c/heat unit sometimes gets a smell (well, to me, anyway) like old hamburger meat packaging. We've had pros come in & tell us there's no mold in our vents, and we had the actual unit replaced last summer, but the odor will still sometimes be there. It's more noticeable when the a/c is on, vs. the heater, and worse during our humid seasons.

Our hallway is also 'active' - footstep noises, knocks, pictures we have in the hall fall off the walls or get tilted without us being around, that kind of thing. My husband's bedroom is right there, too, and sometimes one of our resident goms will knock on his headboard. To me, the odor steps up a little after a particularly noisy incident, and humid weather also stirs up the goms... but I still attribute it more to something that's happening to the outside air as it passes through the a/c system - maybe picking something up that's been moldering in the ceiling crawlspace or insulation or something. :P
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Don't have AC and there's no heater in the hall (and my heater is a different smell...kind of smells like farts lol). I really do worry it's a dead rat. I don't know how it would have gotten in, but it's a new building and it could have just got trapped when it was being built, and there are tons of huge, gross rats here. Ew.

It doesn't smell all the time though. Just sometimes. And not seasonally...all year.

Comment

I asked my cards about this issue and drew the one for Reconcilliation. Talking to my Guardians about it, they brought up a couple of relationships that ended badly with no possibility of reconcilliation; how they're still weighing heavily on my mind, even years later, and how I still feel stung by the negativity from them. So, tonight I will purify my room and finally confront those negative feelings hanging around and ask my Guardians to help to banish them and for me to find inner peace. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Hopefully it works out for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X