Emotional experience during rituals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotional experience during rituals

As many of you will know, it was a full moon a few nights ago. I decided to hold Esbat as I haven't in a long time and I really feel ready to dive back in. I have a slight concern though. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I am testing all my previous, Wiccan-based, beliefs and practices to see what is relivant to me as a solitary and what I should drop.

Well, I had forgotten until I experienced it again, but I have a very strong reaction during rituals. As soon as deity is invoked, my body tingles, my breathing deepens and a really nice sensations runs through me. I usually cry too, but tears of joy. In the coven, I was not able to draw down because invoking INTO myself, makes this even worse. In the past, I believed this was just a reaction to experiencing deity, a Mystery if you will. But is it? Being blunt with me, is this something I should be learning to control? Is it a sign that I can't handle the powers I am trying to work with. Or do you experience this too?

I feel something similar but not nearly as strong, when I read or hear something that really hits home and speaks to me spiritually or religiously. I also feel this sometimes when I am out in nature, but again, only slightly.

Be honest with me. Should I be worried or just celebrate this as a part of my religious experience?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Emotional experience during rituals

When praying, I've gotten some interesting feelings. I've felt heavy, tight sensations, like something was wrapped around me and constricting like a snake. I've felt light-headed euphoria. I've felt sensations akin to having someone embracing my shoulders or holding my hands. I've cried; not always tears of joy. I've laughed.

I can't say what's exactly right for your path, but it sounds to me like your reaction to your deity is a positive one.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I think what you describe is an enviable experience. It's usually very difficult for me to feel a very strong surge of emotion during rituals. Part of this is because I'm very particular about whether or not I think everything was done correctly. That buoyant feeling I have, that makes me say to myself "I did a good job" is very elusive.
      If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

I too have emotional experiences sometimes with rituals. Nothing wrong with that at all, especially what you've described.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Honestly, I don't think crying or getting an emotional rush is something to worry about, unless it always interferes with whatever you're trying to do. When you enter into ritual space, you're opening yourself to the non-mundane to begin with. You're inviting that sense of 'Other'-ness - ASCs, possession, trance-states, mediumship, communication with your Higher Self or Higher Powers, whatever you prefer to call that 'Other'-ness. A lot of people experience more intense emotional responses in spiritual contexts - and it's no different for Pagans than for Christians 'getting the holy spirit'

I bawled a lot when doing full-blown rituals.

I'd also get a euphoric, energized sort of buzz from them, but it's hard for me to describe because I'm also prone to experiencing altered states of consciousness when that feeling would start happening - trances, possession, blacking out, that kind of thing. I always leaned more towards ceremonialism than to Wicca & other forms of emotional ritual magic(k) & techniques because ceremonialism encourages the practitioner to be fully alert instead of giving over to ecstasy. I'd get a 'high' off ceremonial magic(k) as well, but it was more mental than physical or emotional. I'm usually a control-freak and emotionally detached, so rituals were a way for me to loosen up without getting a hangover.
          Last edited by Ophidia; 12 Jan 2012, 18:38. Reason: Fergot sumfin'.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's encouraging. The only thing is that it DOES, slightly affect my ability to work spells. I had planned a spell for the Esbat but I had to skip it because I was in no frame of mind to be focusing on goals or raising energy. Having said that, I have started feeling that the new deities I work with, want me to work magic from myself, not through them as I have done with my patrons in the past. This makes sense too because around the time I started feeling an attraction to Brigantia, I was finding that most spells I planned or designed, were manifesting before I had a chance to perform them. So maybe I should start keeping ritual and spellcraft completely seperate. I might lose it a bit while raising energy, but that's if I even need to raise energy. I am still exploring these things.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I have several different books devoted to rituals and one for spells. It works for me right now. Just remember to label them clearly to avoid awkward situations (I speak from experience).
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

I have often had similar experiences to you during ritual - including my body tingling, deep breathing, feelings of joy, and tears of ecstacy. I would say such a reaction is a positive thing, nothing to worry about

Comment

Working...
                X