Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals

Originally posted by QuercusRobur View Post
    There are quite a few Irish triple deities, both male and female. Among the female ones are The Morrigu triplet, the aforementioned Brigit and the three sisters who gave their names to Ireland : Banba, Fodla and Eriu who married the male triplet Mac Cuill, Mac Greine and Mac Cecht. Also among the male ones are what the Lebor Gabala Erenn names as the Three Gods of the Tuatha De Danann : Brian, Iuchar and Iucharba.

I guess Graves couldn't shoehorn a triple male god into anything like he did with the triple females.
    The Morrigna tripplet only appears in the Ulster Mythological cycle, and they appear as 3, sometimes even 4, different women, quite specific to themselves, and not in any maiden mother crone sort of way. In the Mythological cycle sometimes the names were used interchangable with the Morrighan, but for the most part again it was 4 names, not just 3, there are some interresting mental gymnastics (to borrow a phrase from Tyullan Penry...) which have to be done to shoehorn Morrighan into the wiccan form of triple goddess. Banba, Fodla, and Eriu, again were 3 different people, and none of them even remotely fit the maiden, mother, crone triad, the only one that even remotely works is Brighid, and I have not spent as much time studying her, as I have the Morrigna.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Re: Calling all Celtic witches, Druids, Recons or generally well-informed individuals

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
      .. On that note, the only goddess who really fits the bill when it comes to Wicca's triple goddess ideal is the Greek titaness Hekate. She is explicitly depicted in art and statuary as having three heads or faces that look in different directions--youthful past, nurturing present, and ageing future.
      Not Celtic but the three formed statuary of Hecate / Hekate does not have separate faces depicting a youthful path, nurturing present and ageing future. Since no example of the original in Athens survives it is assumed that it was based upon a Hekataion or the three masks hung upon a pillar at the crossroads. Some debate whether it was a fully formed human woman or simply three masks upon a pillar. About the only tri-formed figure of Hecate / Hekate that has differing faces is the Chaldean inspired one which has three different animal heads.

While I am no expert of the various statuary pieces that have survived none of those I have seen show differing faces based upon age. It especially seems unlikely given that anyone entering a crossroads (wilderness located or within a city such as the one in Athens was supposed to have been located) would not see the same facial imagery both arriving and leaving. The same would be applicable to the statuary placed at doorways or gateways into homes or temples in her guardian of transitional / liminal places / spaces persona.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I am looking for any info about the celtic picts, any photos videos or books
        or web sites

Comment

There is a Brethonian magickal tradition and you can try to find it on a search engine. I heard about it from a Pagan friend in CA but am not in touch with him Aso can't tell you where to look. Also, you might want to read Michael Gorman's History of the Celts, available on Amazon - I'm pretty sure I have the title right. Also, there are books on Celtic Shamanism, I think Kenneth Meadows or Phillip Carr-Gomm may have written one and those are both good, reliable authors.
          Good luck!

Comment

Celtic is perhaps a sort of misnomer, because the Celts actually spanded a LARGE territory, from British Isles to parts of France and remote areas of Italy.(some even say the Ogham is based on Etruscan italic writing, and some historians argue that celts originated from an even more primitive, germanic culture, which influenced the La Ten culture, but that's disputable)

But largely, Celts are seen as two main tribes. The Britons or Brigands, (brythonic is another common term), which is between British/welsh/irish, and Gaul or Gaelic celts which are Irish/scottish.

Then there were seperate tribes, all over, and some were bread in heavily with scandinavians and germans.(particularly the Beonercian Scotts, who were a mix of Picts, Vikings, and Angelns)

There are a wide pantheon of deities, and most of them are localized. In fact, the term deity is perhaps a little confusing, because most of these were actually "spirits" or examples of things in nature, taking a material form.

Then there is a non-localized pantheon, which is basically, the gods they all share in common.

Perhaps the most known and revered is Lugh, who is depicted as a three-headed man(looks like three heads squished into one, representing a kind of trinity, or triquette, but also a certain duality, or idea that this was a very chaotic, split personality type god)

He is often mistaken as being a water god, but he is actually depicted in mythology countless times as weilding lightning and spears. Which is why I liken him with Thor, because they both wield a hammer(tho Lugh not as often as Thor)and they both are of the lightning element.(explains my name)

My favorite, though, is probably Cernonnos, the god of the forest, who is depicted as a bearded man with antlers.(actually, he bears some resemblence to Baphomet, in terms of the way in which he is sometimes depicted in sculptures, which I find more than a little amusing and not-so-coincidental perhaps?) Should note, though that he isn't really documented much traditionally, outside of later sources, and his actual "role" in the pantheon is a bit merky.

I'll compile a list of deities later, as I've a bus to catch, but there's some insight. Of course, you can also wiki and that'll produce an extensive list, though it doesn't seperate them from local and across-the-board, so expect to be sifting through quite a bit.(there's at least 30 on the page)
            Last edited by LuThorgh; 29 Jan 2014, 13:09. Reason: SW

Comment

Hi All Im new here and struggling with these same questions,trying to pinpoint the differences in the celtic Pagan traditions is a nightmare cause they all resonate ,but Im Scottish by heritage so please does anyone have any book titles relating to the scottish pagans or faery faith.It's so good to see im not the only one battling these questions.good luck in your quests for information all.
              Kitty

Comment

Originally posted by celtickitty16 View Post
                Hi All Im new here and struggling with these same questions,trying to pinpoint the differences in the celtic Pagan traditions is a nightmare cause they all resonate ,but Im Scottish by heritage so please does anyone have any book titles relating to the scottish pagans or faery faith.It's so good to see im not the only one battling these questions.good luck in your quests for information all.
                Kitty
                The relationship between the Celtic gods/goddesses and the fairy faith is something that I have been interested in. Most of what we know comes from the literature from Ireland because the Monks of Ireland made the decision to write down the pre-Christian beliefs. Now we knew they were modified it to some degree but it is likely they captured at least some of the beliefs. Long after the stop hearing about the specific gods we continue to hear about the spirits identified as fairies especially in Scotland. There is a book on the Norse religions that discuses the problems that can be found in the Celtic religions with reference to how they changed with time " Old Norse religion in long term perspectives". The information presented is especially useful when you consider that there may have been very little difference between the pre-roman Germanic and Celtic religions.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Not Celtic but the three formed statuary of Hecate / Hekate does not have separate faces depicting a youthful path, nurturing present and ageing future
                  Thank you for correcting me. It seems that I was mistaken from lack of research, and perhaps a little leftover dedication to the original path I was on, which set me on a firmer road towards Hekate--and Cernunnos as well, now that I think of it. Hekate's depiction of having many faces is indeed ambiguous, and it does deal more with her role as the goddess of boundaries and crossroads.

Which means that, truly, there isn't any historical goddess that fits directly to the Wiccan idea of the Triple Goddess. It's a completely modern construction, which doesn't make it any less right or meaningful for an individual that believes in that concept, even though I do not. Modern ideas can be just as true as old ones.

Comment

Working...
                  X