This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone heard of Jocelyn Almond?

She has written a few books with someone called 'seddon', on Egyption paganism and I am interested to know what people think of her as an author.

I ask because I trained under her for a while and I am currently exploring and questioning everything I've learned over the course of my Pagan journey. I won't be hurt if you think her writing is a load of bum gravy, but I'd appreciate if you're able to be specific so I can consider those points for myself.

Although she was my teacher, I must confess that I never actually read most of her books (I know, I know). The only one was the 'Egyptian Book of Shadows' which I think the publisher later changed the name of. The book attempted to describe a possible yearly wheel, from Egyptian festivals, and this just didn't work at all for me. While the rituals were similar to those I was being taught, there was actually not much in it that was like the material I was being taught in person.

One thing that struck me was how shamanic her course was. Considering how rigid and cerimonial the rituals were, there was a lot of dreamwork and working on astral planes. After attunement, I decided the Egyptian path really wasn't for me, so switched to a generic 'Goddess' course. I actually got a lot from that, but never completed the course.

So.. what are your honest thoughts?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Re: Anyone heard of Jocelyn Almond?

I've Read Egyptian Paganism for Beginners. There were some sources used I found questionable. I don't have the book anymore, so I can't be more specific. Since I'm a Recon I also felt she just kinda used eclectic practice to fill in gaps (something I don't condone but won't get too irate if others do it). If you don't want something purely Ancient Egyptian she seems ok.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Thanks Caelia! I'm going to be on this task for a while yet, so I was thinking I might ask a few specific things in the 'Ask a Kemetic' thread as they pop up. That's if you wouldn't mind offering some thoughts there?

I realise I am pretty active and full of questions on the forum right now. It won't be forever, I promise.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Go for it! I've never heard of anyone minding questions in a question thread
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Working...
        X