This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"About the Transgender Verse of the Goddess Invocation"

There's an interesting article found here about transgender and gender-variant people and their relationship with the gods. Although short, it lists some gender-variant gods which may be interesting for those who identify as such themselves.
    Nu Cead Againn Dul Abhaile.
    "Not even the most battle-hardened warriors would willingly separate a man from his gods."

Re: "About the Transgender Verse of the Goddess Invocation"

Also, if anyone has experience/knowledge of gender-diverse deities, I'll be setting up a blog to chronicle information about them, so anything you'd like to share would be appreciated.
    "Not even the most battle-hardened warriors would willingly separate a man from his gods."

Comment

Hey Mothboy! I missed this the first time around somehow...sorry about that. I'm cis, but there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that Frey is very accepting of transgender individuals. One account (Gesta Danorum 6) by a follower of Odin speaks With seeming discomfort of a visit to Denmark during rites for Frey, and the "effeminate gestures" and "tinkling bells" of the priests, and so it is possible that the service of Frey was a bit of a haven for those who did not fit the Viking-era standard of masculinity, for whatever reason.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

You might look at Quan Yin,a buddhist Goddess that it seems started out as a male God.

Kuan Yin, The Compassionate Rebel : This article traces the concept of Kuan Yin - the Buddhist goddess of compassion. It talks about karuna - the central philosophy underlying Buddhism and how Kuan Yi

There are several spellings of her name.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Thank you both! I am looking into those now. The blog I mentioned is up and running now, hosted on Tumblr: Trans* Paganism. It'll be slow going for a while, as I'm juggling university assessments and job hunting with it, but by May I'll be able to fill it with all sorts or purloined knowledge.

Comment

While sometimes described androgynously, Ishtar isn't really a goddess who is transgendered, but she had priests that were transgendered.
            I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
            I became Abdishtar this spring.
            Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

Two gods that "transcend gender" are Ymir and Tuisto, the hermaphroditic progenitors of the N. European pantheons.

Another angle, that you might find some blogging inspiration in, is gods who aren't transgender in myth, but who become so as cultures shifts. Ex. Nerthus (female) becomes Njord (male) etc.

Comment

Working...
              X