This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan mom challenges Bibles in North Carolina school

I was a bit supprised that Fox news was the first to put this up,but follow the link below.

A pagan mother's challenge to the distribution of donated Bibles at a local school has prompted the Buncombe County Board of Education to reevaluate its policies regarding religious texts.

When told the school would also accept other religious texts,the mom offered some spell books,but was rejected.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Pagan mom challenges Bibles in North Carolina school

This is interesting and the fact fox did it is surprising. This is one of the reasons there is a separation of church and state. They shouldn't have distributed bibles, there should be no religion in schools. The way they take the bibles but not the spell books is just plain hypocritical. If they want to muddy school with religion at the very least they could muddy it equally with all faiths
    Circe

Comment

This has been news in the Pagan blogosphere for the past few weeks...I'm not terribly surprised.

...though, I'm not surprised their online news ran this--they are less biased than their TV network news. Heck, our local FOX channel is one of the better local newscasts.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I can actually understand a school not accepting 'spell books'. Most spellbooks, especially spell encyclopedias, are short on actual religion and philosophy. I've donated plenty of copies of the Farrars' Witches Bible, Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (aka Big Blue Book), Drawing Down the Moon, etc. to hospital chaplains, prison libraries & administrative staff, school libraries, regular ol' library-libraries, and never had a single one refused. I've even seen books I've donated on actual library shelves, which always makes me feel good, like, "hey, they didn't just relegate this to their used book sales!"
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I agree that I don't think spell books were the best idea to donate. But good for her for standing up for her path!
          Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I think there could have been a better choice than spell books.....though, she may have taken other books too, and all the media picked up on was "spell books", or she might have chosen spell books thinking that while they might accept something like DDTM, they would reject "How to turn your ex-boyfriend into a toad and other spells".

FWIW, I'm not terribly surprised either way that the end result of a (I believe, rural) North Carolina school district was a big fat no.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Its nice to see someone stand up for the separation of church and state. I used to dislike school when I was younger because of the strong Christian traditions. Bibles were handed out, prayers were said before every event, and I got in trouble once for refusing to bow my head during a prayer. Looking back, I wish I had known what proper actions to take.

And as for the spell book bit, are we sure they were actually spell books? I mean since she practices Witchcraft, they may have just assumed they were spell books. Most books I own on Wicca have a few spells in them or at least how to write a spell. That could be all they paid attention to. Articles don't always word things correctly in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by GypsySeaWitch View Post
                And as for the spell book bit, are we sure they were actually spell books? I mean since she practices Witchcraft, they may have just assumed they were spell books. Most books I own on Wicca have a few spells in them or at least how to write a spell. That could be all they paid attention to. Articles don't always word things correctly in my experience.
                Every article I have read (including commentary from Pagan authors, some of which are closer to the story than I am) have specifically said "spell books". And more than one person has pointed out in comments of blogs discussing the event some variation of "spell books are a bad call". So really, who knows?
                sigpic

Comment

Dude. North Carolina Public Schools need to quit provoking religious lawsuits. I considered suing a few years ago, and I should have, but the limitation is up.

Comment

I'd have offered my copy of the Satanic Bible, the Koran, the Tao Te Ching, the Principia Discordia, the Upanishads, and all sorts of goodness.
                    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

Also, it's funny that the Generic Christian voice (I say "generic" because of the way that he responded) spoke about how the U.S. was founded on Christian belief when most if not all of the founding Fathers were Deist Masons. I know that's not exactly what this thread is about, but I think it's a funny glimpse into the mindset of the average American.

Comment

The one thing that sticks out to me: "They were made available for the students that wished to have one."

Sounds like some sort of idiotic legal loophole, to me. The administration wasn't forcing a bible to be handed out to every student, but rather offered. I do agree though that the lady from the story should have been able to make a LEGITIMATE donation of religious materials regarding her own personal beliefs. Spell books do not fall into that category. Magic(k) is not a religion.
                        "A situation with no return; I yield to the bright lights."- The Interbeing

Comment

interesting developments: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhun...be-county.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X