Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pagan mom challenges Bibles in North Carolina school

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Pagan mom challenges Bibles in North Carolina school

I was a bit supprised that Fox news was the first to put this up,but follow the link below.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/01/18...test+-+Text%29

When told the school would also accept other religious texts,the mom offered some spell books,but was rejected.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan
    Phrase
    Words of power never disappear. They sleep, awaiting those with the will to rouse them

Re: Pagan mom challenges Bibles in North Carolina school

This is interesting and the fact fox did it is surprising. This is one of the reasons there is a separation of church and state. They shouldn't have distributed bibles, there should be no religion in schools. The way they take the bibles but not the spell books is just plain hypocritical. If they want to muddy school with religion at the very least they could muddy it equally with all faiths
    世の中に潜み落下した「アレ」はねえか? 誰が書き換える 世界の汚れは?
    Do you have 'that' which lies dormant within society? Who can overwrite it, the filth in the world?

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

This has been news in the Pagan blogosphere for the past few weeks...I'm not terribly surprised.

...though, I'm not surprised their online news ran this--they are less biased than their TV network news. Heck, our local FOX channel is one of the better local newscasts.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

I can actually understand a school not accepting 'spell books'. Most spellbooks, especially spell encyclopedias, are short on actual religion and philosophy. I've donated plenty of copies of the Farrars' Witches Bible, Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft (aka Big Blue Book), Drawing Down the Moon, etc. to hospital chaplains, prison libraries & administrative staff, school libraries, regular ol' library-libraries, and never had a single one refused. I've even seen books I've donated on actual library shelves, which always makes me feel good, like, "hey, they didn't just relegate this to their used book sales!"
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Dec 2011
    Religion
    Ecletic Pagan
    Phrase
    There is no mastery--only constant improvement.

I agree that I don't think spell books were the best idea to donate. But good for her for standing up for her path!
    “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

I think there could have been a better choice than spell books.....though, she may have taken other books too, and all the media picked up on was "spell books", or she might have chosen spell books thinking that while they might accept something like DDTM, they would reject "How to turn your ex-boyfriend into a toad and other spells".

FWIW, I'm not terribly surprised either way that the end result of a (I believe, rural) North Carolina school district was a big fat no.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Basic Wicca

Its nice to see someone stand up for the separation of church and state. I used to dislike school when I was younger because of the strong Christian traditions. Bibles were handed out, prayers were said before every event, and I got in trouble once for refusing to bow my head during a prayer. Looking back, I wish I had known what proper actions to take.

And as for the spell book bit, are we sure they were actually spell books? I mean since she practices Witchcraft, they may have just assumed they were spell books. Most books I own on Wicca have a few spells in them or at least how to write a spell. That could be all they paid attention to. Articles don't always word things correctly in my experience.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

Quote Originally Posted by GypsySeaWitch View Post
    And as for the spell book bit, are we sure they were actually spell books? I mean since she practices Witchcraft, they may have just assumed they were spell books. Most books I own on Wicca have a few spells in them or at least how to write a spell. That could be all they paid attention to. Articles don't always word things correctly in my experience.
    Every article I have read (including commentary from Pagan authors, some of which are closer to the story than I am) have specifically said "spell books". And more than one person has pointed out in comments of blogs discussing the event some variation of "spell books are a bad call". So really, who knows?

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Jan 2012
    Religion
    Hellenic Polytheist

Dude. North Carolina Public Schools need to quit provoking religious lawsuits. I considered suing a few years ago, and I should have, but the limitation is up.

Dec 2005
    Religion
    Chaote: It varies.

I'd have offered my copy of the Satanic Bible, the Koran, the Tao Te Ching, the Principia Discordia, the Upanishads, and all sorts of goodness.
    "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
    http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
    "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
    http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
    "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
    http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com