DIY shampoo/no 'poo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY shampoo/no 'poo

Thal's recent comment in the toothpaste thread got me thinking about the no shampoo thread we had going ages ago.

That never worked out so well for me...my hair is very fine, so it looked greasy fast, and never developed additional body like some of the adamant no 'poo folks say it will.

Lately though, I've been trying something new. I've been trying to pick and choose the chemicals I deal with more carefully. I've recently stopped buying my volumising shampoo and conditioner. Instead, I'm using a shampoo made with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, and an herbal hair rinse, no conditioner. The difference has been very interesting. Also some success with using coffee grounds to tint my hair a little darker.

Anyone else with similar luck?

I'll post recipes tomorrow.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: DIY shampoo/no 'poo

I did well with just a baking soda/water slurry and a herbal infused ACV rinse when we were trying the no 'poo deal. I like LUSH's bar shampoos ($$$, thhough) when I can get them...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I've always been interested in homemade shampoo. The idea of not using shampoo doesn't work for me either. After one day, my hair is oily enough for friends to ask if I just got out of a shower. I also don't enjoy the chemicals put into shampoo. My great grandmother used to talk about the ingredients commonly found in them and their known side effects. One was even linked to hair loss! Ever since, I've wanted to make my own shampoo or switch to a more natural one from the health food store. Problem is the ones from the health food store are expensive and I got no idea how to make my own. Therefore, please post some recipes. I'd really like to see them.

Comment

I never saw the old thread so now I am intrigued.. what kind of things did people use instead of shampoo?
        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
          I never saw the old thread so now I am intrigued.. what kind of things did people use instead of shampoo?
          I think we did this about 3 or 4 years ago...before the forum crashed though, I know that. Basically, the idea is that you don't need to shampoo your hair (or even do any more than rinse and brush it), because your scalp will come into balance on its own (supposedly it takes about 6 weeks). I think most of us couldn't get past the idea of doing *nothing* (either because if felt or looked gross once we tried, or we couldn't see ourselves not being able to)...and turned to other stuff. I ended up using baking soda, vinegar and honey--you "wash" with a slurry of baking soda and vinegar, "rinse" with apple cider vinegar (which you can turn into an herbal rinse) and "condition" with honey (also works as a facial cleanser).

As a result though, I can wash my hair less. I used to be one of those people that thought they *had* to wash their hair every day (and indeed, it looked funky if I didn't), but now I can go 2-3 days, and as a result, only have to wash my hair about two or three times a week--the rest of the time, I just rinse it well, and then brush it well once it is dry.

Some example info:
          http://thehairpin.com/2011/04/how-to...ing-disgusting (this is pretty much how I did it, minus going cold turkey...so I never go "the balance")
          http://www.collegefashion.net/beauty...r-curly-girls/ (specific advice for people with curly hair)
          Going without shampoo and finding natural products to clean your hair can be good for your health.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=102062969 (...even NPR did a story, lol!)

ETA: When I told my great-grandma (92) about this, she laughed her head off. She said "Sweetie, when I was a girl, we soaped our head and rinsed with beer!"

...you know, being a stay at home mom and all, I could try this again. And (unintentionally), it should work--my kids *maybe* get their hair washed once a month (they hate shampooing), and their hair doesn't look gross.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Not entirely relevant, I suppose, but I use a high quality shampoo from a hair dresser's, and ever since then, my thick, curly hair has only needed to be washed maybe twice a week, and I haven't touched a bottle of conditioner since.

http://moroccanoil.com/products/Mois...nd-Conditioner <---that stuff. It's paraben free, sulphate free, free of - all that bad shit that goes into shampoo. It's like $20 a bottle, but I've been using the same little bottle for my entire 3 month trip in Asia, and I've still got enough left for another month.

I only use the shampoo, not the conditioner, and yeah...basically, it makes my hair awesome. I didn't really mean to plug this, but I really do like my shampoo, haha! ...so I mean, there's options out there if you don't want to go 'no poo'

Mostly art.

Comment

Hahaha, the no 'poo thing again! I actually wasn't a member of the forum then - joined just a few months after the experiment started, but I was doing it at the same time. I have never gone back to using shampoo. 99% of the time when my hair was 'normal', I'd do nothing but a vinegar rinse. Now that my hair looks like this...

I use the baking soda slurry. I never realized how hard it was to get a shot of the back of your head...

And no, my hair didn't form dreadlocks because I wasn't washing it. It actually took a lot of work to get those going!
              The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Ooo, nice madness!

Here are the recipes I've been using.

Shampoo:

Old plastic shampoo bottle
                2T to 1/2 cup Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap (depending on the size of bottle you're filling)
                Filtered water
                1T olive oil
                Essential oils

Put the soap,and olive oil in the bottle...fill the rest of the way with filtered water. Use essential oils that add a scent you like, or help with something ( we have orange and eucalyptus, since L gets dandruff with the cold weather).

Just be sure and shake it up well before you use it. It doesn't lather as much as regular shampoo, but you only need a little. If your hair feels oily after, start by trying a rinse with vinegar in it, then if that doesn't work, reduce the olive oil a little at a time. Don't get rid of it all the way, though...just the soap makes your hair tangle and get very dry!

Herbal rinse

Basically a tea you put in an old shampoo bottle. I'll see if I can find a good list of herbs again, but right now I'm using rosemary to promote hair growth, with black tea and cinnamon for color. A little apple cigar vinegar for shine and because it helps as mentioned above.
                Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

<---have not washed my hair with 'poo since a couple days prior to posting last...

the hair is fabulous...

I'm getting ready to blog about it. blogged

Of course...I'm still *washing* my hair, so there's no biggie.

ETA: Dez, I'm supposed to nag you about blogging your recipe in your blog...I said so that I would in my post, lol
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't know much about this kind of stuff, but my hair obsessed 18 year old daughter is doing dreads. I'm not sure what she's washing with, but I bet it's uber expensive. I'll have to show her this...
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

There's no real reason to use shampoo as we know it. Cleansing conditioner yes, but shampoo not so much. All it does is cause the scalp to produce more oils.

A recipe for a great Cleansing Conditioner,

3 cups water
                      1 cup Dr Bronner's unscented liquid soap
                      1/2 cup shea butter
                      1 Tablespoon Jojoba Oil
                      1 Teaspoon Tea Tree Oil (which is also great for clearing up dandruff if you have it)
                      1 Teaspoon Lavender Oil (again also great for dandruff)

In a nonreactive sauce pan heat the water and shea butter just enough to get the shea butter to melt, add in dr bronners and stir until well blended should be slightly thin but creamy. Allow to cool then add in the oils. Mix well and transfer to a bottle that will work in the bathroom. Make sure to shake it before you use it, sometimes it does separate.

Your hair will be clean, your scalp will LOVE the added moisturizing (yes to stop oil production you need to ADD oil), and your hair will stop being dry at the ends.

My hair is down to my hips and very thick and healthy.

Comment

This is really interesting. My hair gets noticeably oily after a day, and it's been driving me crazy. I have very thick, curly hair. Does anyone know what the best recipe would be?

Comment

I have long hair,but I also have psoriasis of the scalp. I use a pine tar shampoo first to help with the itching,leave it in a while,then shampoo with a normal(Cheap) shampoo to get the pine tar stuff out. But then I just use a thing to tie it back into a pony tail,and let it dry that way. Only wash it once a week.
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            I have long hair,but I also have psoriasis of the scalp. I use a pine tar shampoo first to help with the itching,leave it in a while,then shampoo with a normal(Cheap) shampoo to get the pine tar stuff out. But then I just use a thing to tie it back into a pony tail,and let it dry that way. Only wash it once a week.
                            Try no 'poo! I have long hair (before the dreadlocks too) and psoriasis. I've had it horribly my whole life...until no 'poo. I still get some small outbreaks in the dry of winter but NOTHING like I used to, even when using pine tar and nearly every single other treatment (prescription and OTC) on the market.
                            The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

Originally posted by Peri_Dot View Post
                              This is really interesting. My hair gets noticeably oily after a day, and it's been driving me crazy. I have very thick, curly hair. Does anyone know what the best recipe would be?
                              You might want to check out some of the hair fourms---there are both long hair and curly hair forums, and both usually have people trying out different things, that probably have some ideas.

My hair is fairly straight with a bit of wave and thick but fine. Baking soda and vinegar twice a week with an every other week or so oil treatment seems to work pretty well for me so far...but every head is different/
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X