Weird question about hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird question about hearing

Just wondering if anyone else has freakishly good hearing. I think it's a singer thing....when I went to music school, we had to take a recording class, and one class we talked about frequencies and our teacher played different frequencies. At a certain point he said 'most people can't hear above this', and a few people could, and after it got really high all the vocal majors could still hear it, but ONLY the vocal majors. So we were all kind of writhing in pain, and everyone else was like 'wtf'. I can hear dog whistles, and the frequencies that electronics and some lights make (my washing machine lets out a particularly loud and high-pitched one....I can't be in the same room as it when it's running).

Mostly, this is all fine. It seems pretty common with singers (maybe that's where the ability comes from), but sometimes it's really, really annoying. I think there are a few other singers here (and it's not -only- singers who can hear like this anyway)...what do you do to tune it out? I have to play music or have the tv going or something else that makes noise 24/7, even when I'm sleeping. I even had to when I was a baby. It kind of takes over and is distracting from the various white noise in my place.

Re: Weird question about hearing

Oh gods! That pitch...

Yeah, I wish I could help. I usually just leave the area if I can.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I'm in no way a musician, but I can hear everything from lights running to other sounds that most people don't. I just sort of tune it out subconsciously.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

LOL yeah if it's dog whistle pitch I have to leave. Isn't it awful?

The appliances are harder to avoid though haha. But they're also quieter at least.

Comment

Yeah, the only thing that's reduced it for me in recent months I wouldn't recommend. Now I have to deal with tinnitus.
          my etsy store
          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
          surrounded by plush, downy things,
          ill prepared, but willing,
          to descend."

Comment

I have pretty good high frequency range. I can certainly hear most things people in my age group can't (did you know that your frequency range decreases as you get older? so to cure your ability to hear those noises...keep living!). There are many horrid noises where I work. I find white noise is the only way to make my brain not hurt. As a side note, I'm probably the worst singer you'll ever hear - or not hear for that matter, as I don't subject people to that kind of torture.

By the by, some people take advantage of the fact that the younger you are, the higher pitches you can hear. There is a device called The Mosquito in the UK that emits a high frequency noise in front of shops where "unruly teenagers" are known to congregate. So it makes it unbearably annoying to those folks but fine for the older client who are obviously there to buy things!
            The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

OMG I HATE those things! Also, there's something that emits a dog whistle when dogs in the neighbourhood bark to shut them up, and my mom was going to get one and I'm like "IF YOU WANT ME TO VISIT DO NOT BUY THAT!"

Not saying that it's just a singer thing, just that it's common in singers.

Comment

I actually think my hearing is terrible. One of the reasons I hate night clubs is that I can't hear people talking to me. I do hear electrical appliances and especially TV's, but I just thought everyone could. I am a singer too, well, I used to be. I don't perform anymore and actually hate my singing voice and don't see why other people like it.

One thing though... a few years ago there was this big thing here about trying to control this gang culture we have amongst the youth. In some areas they were installing a device that played a high pitched sound that apparently only people under 21 could hear. This was meant to keep them away from the areas they tended to hang out. I could hear this sound, as could many over 21 year olds I spoke to. I'm not sure if I could hear it now though, I haven't tried. Around here, youths are kept away by playing classical music and it oddly enough seems to work! Although the speakers are frequently being smashed up.

Ah I didn't get to see Madness's reply. It was submitted while writing mine. Yeah the mosquito.. that's what it is!!
                Last edited by Jembru; 24 Jan 2012, 12:50.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  I'm in no way a musician, but I can hear everything from lights running to other sounds that most people don't. I just sort of tune it out subconsciously.
                  This sounds like me. At work, we have a scratch-off ticket lottery machine that makes a very high pitched hum when customer service is messing with it. It doesn't matter what lane I'm working, the ones next to it or the ones at the opposite end of the store from it, I will still hear it. Also, the electric carts we have make a very high pitched beeping when backing up. Drives me insane. I hear many sounds that others my age (and some people even younger) can't hear. I just tune the stuff out. I personally think it's pretty cool that I've got this. It's like I've got super hearing.

Comment

When the school nurse did that hearing thing I threw the headphones because the highest noise hurt my ears. I have really good hearing though regrettably its a lot less since I moved in with dad's girlfriend and everyone seems to be deaf (I mean really does music need to be that loud?). I used to be able to hear dog whistles but I can't anymore.
                    Circe

Comment

Musician. I can hear pretty well at high range, and can't sleep with things like the computer tower on. It wakes me up.

Here's the funny thing, though: In older Jr. High, early High School, I spent several years at the back of the first violin section, directly in front of the trombones. I have a chunk of bass range now that I can't hear, even though lower or higher is fine. It affects the way I hear music, because something like bass guitar will be playing along and then gone. It also means that L's voice will sometimes hit that range, and for a moment I can see his lips are moving, but can't figure out what he's saying for the life of me.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                      X