Music and a spiritual connection.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music and a spiritual connection.

How does everyday music affect your connection to your spirituality?

Today I was feeling pretty down, hadn't found a new job, hadn't done anything around the house, basically felt depressed and started falling into old habits. Then around late afternoon I was sitting there and decided to listen to my Pandora, created a dub-step station for the heck of it, and started feeling pretty good. But it wasn't even that I felt better, it was like I had some one behind me, pushing me forward, keeping me on track and up in spirits. I even pulled out my Tarot deck and did a reading, which had gotten pretty hard to do lately. What I would like to know is if anybody else has ever had a connection like that from music, or if I'm just reading too much into the situation, because even I'm having a little bit of difficulty acknowledging that dub-step may have given me a deeper connection to my gods.

Re: Music and a spiritual connection.

Cornelius Agrippa wrote in one of his books about the ties to certain modes of music and occult workings. If it's something you want to read I can find it for you.

Otherwise I think there's a way to link music to spirituality. In fact certain gods and goddesses are linked to music, some of whom I worship. I have certain tracks set up on my iPod to help me connect with my gods.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

There is definitely music that resonates with me in different ways, or makes me feel more connected with the divine. I don't pray with music playing, but I will sometimes trance out and just let myself drift and be lost in it.
      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Absolutely! It sounds odd, but hardcore and punk do it for me. I've been a hardcore kid for just a bit longer than I found paganism and I truly believe the two are intertwined in their own little way. They've both spoke to me in the same manner, and have both pulled me from my darkest days.

Of course, I listen to everything and can find value in anything. I'm just artsy-fartsy like that.
        "A situation with no return; I yield to the bright lights."- The Interbeing

Comment

I tend towards heavy metal for my catharsis.

If it's actual religious music, then it's Christian and Muslim chant. I'm fond of Old Roman and Greek Byzantine.
          There once was a man who said though,
          It seems that I know that I know,
          What I'd like to see,
          Is the I that knows me,
          When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
            Cornelius Agrippa wrote in one of his books about the ties to certain modes of music and occult workings. If it's something you want to read I can find it for you.

Otherwise I think there's a way to link music to spirituality. In fact certain gods and goddesses are linked to music, some of whom I worship. I have certain tracks set up on my iPod to help me connect with my gods.
            That's really cool Caelia, and I'd love to see that book!

I think the thing that was bugging me most was that it was Dubstep, I mean I had only been listening to it for maybe a few days before, and only one or two songs.

Comment

LOL I understand the feeling. This year is marked with all sorts of syncronicity for me and music. I'm waiting for musicians to pop up while I'm listening to one of their songs at this rate!

As for the book in question: http://www.esotericarchives.com/agrippa/agripp2c.htm

If you scroll down a bit you should find the bits I mentioned.
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

Music really does help me get my mind in a space where I connect with the cosmic all. The type of music depends on what I am trying to do. Relaxing chants(buddest) electronic trance is good for stepping away from the world for a bit,Metal for when I need an energy boost,and a little Leonard Cohan for inspiration about the reality of life,and my role concerning other people.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I had actually forgotten until this thread reminded me, but I used to use songs in my spell design when I was at university. I actually found this really helpful. I guess I was more into music back then though. It's something I would consider doing again and it might be relevent to my current ritual style.

Recently, I have been feeling compelled to sing rather than speak my rituals. As with almost everything I am doing now, this started when my patron deities changed. I'm spending quite a bit of my time trying to learn about these deities and the people (brythonic celts) who used to worship them, and I'm keeping an eye out for any evidence that the celts sang their spells. Music appears to have been important but that's as much as I can gather. Regardless of what the ancients did, I am not a reconstructionist. I'm a devotee willing to listen to her patrons with an open mind and heart. Brigantia wants me to sing, so I've started singing!

It's interesting that you mentioned punk. The coven I worked with for many years, was only 3 members for a while. We all liked punk and ska so started skanking to raise energy. That was surprisingly powerful!
                  Last edited by Jembru; 06 Feb 2012, 19:48.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I've always felt as if music affects me on a spiritual as well as emotional level. I particularly find that playing New Age meditation while meditating helps me to concentrate. I have quite broad musical interests although I mainly listen to metal, some rock, and dark ambient music.

Comment

Music was a big part of my life for a long time. I studied music and I used to be a musician. A big part of me wishes I didn't give up the idea of being a professional singer, and I might give it another go. So music plays a big role in how I feel and how I connect to things. Recently, I started hearing music in every day sounds, and it's really trippy. I feel there's something spiritual there because it's helping me get out of my head and more into the world.

Comment

Music is my whole life, when I'm listening to or creating music I feel at peace and kinda like I'm in a peace bubble. My i-pod the other day literally sounded like it was playing my life story in the shuffle's choices (sounds weird I know) and I use music to connect to everything.
                        "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                        - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I listen to a lot of acoustic folk-y stuff and it definitely helps me relax and feel connected. Sometimes I'll be listening to a song and a line will just hit me, as though some higher power is trying to tell me to listen closely. This has given me some really good inspiration in the past.

Comment

The sound of bagpipes always got me in a better mood. Whenever I feel down and out, I pick up my bouzouki or guitar and play a few songs and connect to the power of nature, I feel 100% better.

Comment

I use music as an offering pretty often. I play my guitar and sing for my ancestors and whoever else is listening. I also use it during meditation and yoga. But it depends, really, on what I want to accomplish. If I'm looking to really sink deep into my meditation, I find silence works much better than music.

But when I want to offer something, it's usually in song in some way.
                              "All four winds blow steady, singing 'hie, the open road is home!'"
                              http://hagstones.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X