X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

Originally posted by wisp View Post
    My father was mildly interested, my sister and brother-in-law consider this a phase.
    lol yeah the whole 'it's just a phase' reaction always makes me smile...like you've just discovered a new flavour of ice cream or potato chips lol.

The other day a family relative and I were watching a news item about a Hindu religious festival. There were quite a few Westerners taking part. He said he was sure that their participation - in the festival and, on a larger scale, polytheism - was just a fad, a phase.

I said (politely and good-naturedly) that strict monotheism hasn't been around all that long and that who knows...in time, it might just be the Abrahamic traditions that prove to be a blip on the scale, a 'phase'...

Comment

Originally posted by iskander View Post
      lol yeah the whole 'it's just a phase' reaction always makes me smile...like you've just discovered a new flavour of ice cream or potato chips lol.
      Heh, So true. And it's been 'just a phase' for me for just over a year now, with my interest and curiosity reaching much, much further back than that, so maybe they'll come around to accepting that it's part of who I am, even if that's all they accept.
      I wonder if part of the 'fad' reaction is that people in general are resistant to change, so to feel safe and protected they label anything that challenges their personal status quo as a 'fad'. But this is just me throwing guesses out.
      My Tumblr
      My Webcomic
      My Twitter

Comment

Well, I'm semi out of the broom closet. Yesterday I was feeling so frustrated about an argument with my dad and I ended up doing some heavy hinting that I'm Pagan. First I told him that I will not be going to the church meetings unless he really needed my help getting there and I told him I didn't want any of the brothers or sisters their pestering me and preaching at me. Oddly enough he said that he understood and he would make sure no one bothers me. So than I started saying to him "Ya know that one of the definitions of Pagan is country dweller? and you know I love nature and the outdoors and the country! so I guess technically I'm a Pagan!" He gave me a "what are you talking about" look and I gave him a look back and said "I am Pagan". He gave me a kind of sad look at first and then he smiled a little bit and gave me another look that told me he knew what I meant, but he also knows that there would be problems if any body at his KingdomHall or our family found out. So his response was, "what you do is between you and God and I will always be there for you":shy: I know he hasn't given up the idea that I might return to being a Witness again and I know if I don't want to cause any grief for him or myself I will stay quite about being Pagan around family and his friends (or anyone I think might snitch) but it felt good to say it out loud to my dad, to anyone really that I am Pagan

Comment

At least he responded in a postive way. I'm so glad for you! Mine just thinks I'm an evil devil worshipper.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
            At least he responded in a postive way. I'm so glad for you! Mine just thinks I'm an evil devil worshipper.
            I'm sorry your dad thinks that way. I'm actually surprised by my dad's reaction, I thought he would have been upset or freaked out. I didn't really get into specifics with him but I told him that I don't worship satan or anything and to help put his mind at rest I told him that anything that has to do with magic will stay in my room or go outside when possible (witchcraft is what bothers him the most about this so I wanted to respect that)

Comment

I maintain a "Don't ask, Don't tell" concept with my family. I will say what I like and what I don't, and if they don't ask then I won't explain. I do my magick when I have the privacy, and I don't flaunt my differences from them. I guess I just feel that I don't need to tell them about it. My personal beliefs are just that, personal. No use debating it or being rebellious over it. So...

I guess you could say I'm not technically out of the broom closet, but I am pretty sure my family knows I am not christian. Though, I do actually wear a cross. But because it has sentimental meaning to me, not for religious purposes. Sound's silly, but I'd never give up my special cross.
              Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Grats on coming out, Chris I feel you on the keeping quiet around family thing. It's getting harder to do lately, especially since there's been a recent splurge of friends/family posting how there is no life without the Christian God all over facebook that makes me sort've go :/ A rebellious side of me want to start posting all the things I've been discovering and deciding for myself lately.
                My Tumblr
                My Webcomic
                My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
                  I maintain a "Don't ask, Don't tell" concept with my family. I will say what I like and what I don't, and if they don't ask then I won't explain. I do my magick when I have the privacy, and I don't flaunt my differences from them. I guess I just feel that I don't need to tell them about it. My personal beliefs are just that, personal. No use debating it or being rebellious over it. So...

I guess you could say I'm not technically out of the broom closet, but I am pretty sure my family knows I am not christian. Though, I do actually wear a cross. But because it has sentimental meaning to me, not for religious purposes. Sound's silly, but I'd never give up my special cross.
                  That's exactly what I feel. I will tell my family what I am interested in or like to an extent but I will not go into details with them. I actually do wear a necklace with Chalice with a Pentagram on it (it makes me feel calm to have it on me even though it's a little risky). Sometimes I hide it under my shirt just out of paranoia that someone from my dad's church may see it. Thank you wisp! and I get that with the whole Christian God thing. I respect their beliefs and I want them to believe what they want, I just don't like it when they try to push it on me:=S:

Comment

Yeah, I don't really describe stuff to them. I will say "I really like candles. Can I buy some?" And they will just think it's a natural thing, or they'll forget I even asked after I get them to my room. I use my candles for my magick. I even got it so they'd let me set up an altar, but I didn't lie about anything. I said I'd be using it for meditation purposes, which was the truth. I don't like working magick at my altar. I feel like it gets rid of the special quality.

They only pagan-y necklace I own, is an Anhk.
                    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I like to keep my spirituality as mysterious as its contents.

Comment

Some family members know that I USED to be pagan. I let my spirituality fall by the wayside, I guess. As far as they know, it was just "a phase." I caught a lot of crap from people and got a lot of strange looks when people knew.

Now, the only person that I've come out to is my boyfriend. I also set it as my religious preference on Facebook but set it to where only I can see....just testing the water to see how it feels. I feel like I'm almost there.

Comment

lol, I've found that most people that have asked me about it have been round my house and seen my bookshelves....it's quite obvious!
                          Most people are curious, and I've never had any hostility

- - - Updated - - -

lol, I've found that most people that have asked me about it have been round my house and seen my bookshelves....it's quite obvious!
                          Most people are curious, and I've never had any hostility

Comment

Re: Coming out about your religion

Originally posted by Pallas View Post
                            Your mother sounds exactly like mine! It must be a Southern baptist thing. haha I see so many into spiritual and supernatural things in one mood but freak out at it the next. I think southerners are supernatural by nature, it was only a few decades ago we believed in only making soap by the moonlight and other random rituals. It's still very much there.

As for me coming out. I've never officially came out giving myself a label. But my beliefs have always been clear to those who ask, including my mom. She's pretty much only upset that I don't recognize Jesus as my savior. Everybody else is really cool with it. I always explain it in a chill and unagrressive way. "I don't pray, I send positive energy.", "It's not about believing in Jesus or not, it's taking lessons from everybody and being a good person.", etc. Once you say it that way, only the most biased can see issue with that.

Exactly this. I dont go around shouting "I'm a pagan" r have "pagan" in my Facebook name, but anyone that visits my house normally asks about my book collection. It's actually a nice ice breaker, and I've never had any negative comments. I'm always honest with people, but TBH I don't think I've ver seen anyone ever ask anyone their religion!

Love and peace.

Comment

My coming out was pretty uneventful. My grandparents are open minded catholics and i was kind of halfway raised christian. What i mean by that is I was baptized and went to sunday school like i was supposed to but i really don't think my parents believe any of it. So when i found my path there wasn't much of a coming out it was more like i found who i was supposed to be and kept it in the open from the beginning. Only a few extended family members have any kind of problem with my choice.

Comment

My coming out wasn't too big of a deal. My grandmother says she's still praying for me (She's very Christian). Other then that most people don't care.

Comment

Working...
                                X