This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

Oh my goodness I don't think I can imagine telling most of my family about my religious leanings. Friends and family both pretty much knows what I'm NOT, they just don't know what I am!

Where I live people that are not Christian are harassed. A little girl my daughter went to preschool with had an older sister that literally had children throwing dirt clods at her because her parents are Atheist. I cannot subject my child to that kind of treatment so I will refrain from admitting anything to anyone, including my daughter. If she asks questions I usually answer in a vague sort of way, but I always tell the truth. When she asks if I believe in God or Jesus I tell her that I do believe in things, but I see them differently from most people we know. I don't want her to have the burden of keeping a "secret" or feeling that being pagan is something to be ashamed of. I am NOT ashamed. If someone were to ask me something point blank I would of course tell them the truth. But in all honesty, who's business is it but my own anyway!?

As far as family goes it's not like it's going to ruin our relationships, but it would really upset them, so I don't see it as a necessary thing to tell them. It's not really something I think they need to worry about, and my spirituality is a personal thing so it's not really a big deal or something that I think about.

If anyone asks why I don't go to church I just say that we do our own "worshiping" at home and that I've had bad experiences with churches. All true!

Comment

I told my family and friends about my religious choice a long time ago and for the most part they are okay with it. My boyfriend chooses to not believe in a higher power but is not judgmental on my faith of choice. However I found it kind of hilarious the other day when I was having dinner with my family. I was wearing this ring (the only difference is mine is silver)

So anyway my mom sees it and asks... "Is that.. a... are you wearing a... hmm... I guess I don't know what to call it, and I don't want to offend you dear. But is that a witchy ring?" I laughed so hard that spaghetti came out of my nose. :
      sigpic

Comment

I have the same ring ... But mine is silver with a gold star ... Also the edges cut into my fat finger so I had a jeweler put a sterling plate on the inside to flatten and smooth the inside of the band ... Fits right nice now ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I am not out yet. I have brought the subject up with the two people that I'm most close to: my mom and my boyfriend. With Mom, I asked her, "What if I told you that I was a witch?" (she wouldn't recongnize the words Pagan or Wiccan, I'm pretty sure) and she told me that she wouldn't want to know. She said that if I choose to believe that sort of thing it would be better for the whole family if I kept it to myself. So that is what I plan to do with the family.

I may tell my brother some day, since he is pretty cool. But not yet.

My boyfriend is cool with it so far, but I haven't really told him fully. I just told him that I was looking into it.

I'm a work in progress!

Comment

[quote author=newgirl24 link=topic=49.msg12094#msg12094 date=1289506705]
            I am not out yet. I have brought the subject up with the two people that I'm most close to: my mom and my boyfriend. With Mom, I asked her, "What if I told you that I was a witch?" (she wouldn't recongnize the words Pagan or Wiccan, I'm pretty sure) and she told me that she wouldn't want to know. She said that if I choose to believe that sort of thing it would be better for the whole family if I kept it to myself. So that is what I plan to do with the family.
            [/quote]

I'm going to make the suggestion that it *might* have been easier (in the long run) to explain in brief Paganism than to use the (often more highly charged and negatively connotated) term "witch". TBH, most people don't know what Pagan or Wiccan as words mean, unless they know someone that is, or have a religious outlook that is very negative or very liberal.

For example...my mom knows I'm Pagan--to her, that means I call God by a different name, I leave Jesus out of the equation, and my holidays are a little bit different. If I told my mom I practiced witchcraft, she's probably think I needed a shrink...but if I say I use a ritual, prayer, meditation and such to accomplish my goals in both a spiritual and physical sense, she gets that without too many issues.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Good point! I may bring it up again some day. Time will tell.

Comment

On that note, a hillarious recent conversation between a family member of mine and an outsider:
                other person: are you christian?
                family member: no
                other person: are you jewish?
                family member: no
                other person: do you believe in god?
                family member: yes
                other person: ???
                end of conversation

Anyhoo, I am more of a pagan-new ageish mix, so usually when people ask me about my faith my reply is that I am "spiritual, but not religious" unless I know enough about the person to discuss it in depth. I don't consider spellworking to be part of my religion so to speak since I really don't have one... its just me and the universe and its just something that is part of my way of life. When we learned Reiki though, that really did create quite a stir... and there are some people that just don't come around this way anymore, lol! Its really an eye opener when you discover who really loves and accepts you for who you are and who doesn't... its a blessing really.

Comment

[quote author=newgirl24 link=topic=49.msg12094#msg12094 date=1289506705]
                  I'm a work in progress!
                  [/quote]I have been a work in progress for over 40 years ... 55 if you count my youth ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I've never really been in the closet about my faith, but it was awkward first telling people at school and not knowing how to answer all their questions. Even when i did answer their questions, they still didn't believe me XD oh well... :P
                    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

I'm still in it. At least with my family and most of my friends. One of my friends has an idea, and my husband knows that I am looking into different religions (mainly Paganism in some form). He's not a very religious man, believes in the Christian God but doesn't go to church and believes the Bible is "just a book". My mother-in-law is not very religious but she did ask me if I believe in God and I said "yes, I believe there is a God", then she asked "Do you believe Jesus died on the cross?", my response " yes". That was the extent of the conversion. I guess she was satisfied with that.

My mother, on the other hand, is not religious, but believes in the Christian God and is a big believer in angels and guardian angels, but I can't tell her. She is not easy to talk to and not supportive AT ALL! Example: When I told her that my husband and I were (still are) planning on having a baby, (good thing, right, wrong) her response was (and I quote) "I hope it never happens!" Yes we are on speaking terms now, we just don't talk about babies, until it happens. So telling her about my beliefs, well, our relationship is not that good now, I think it would be over if I told her. And she's my mom (bitchy or not) I still love her. So in the closet I will stay. Besides, it's my beliefs, my business.
                      ~~~TigerGypsy~~~

Comment

If my grandmother is around, I'm so far in the broom closet I'm playing Quiddich in Narnia. To everyone else, it's just a fact of life. If anyone asks, they'll get the truth. If religion comes up in conversation, well, I'm knowledgeable about a lot of faiths. If someone is in my living room, there's a small shrine atop my desk complete with two tiny Sekhmets and a blood fountain (water plus red and a little blue food dye, and just a dash of actual fake blood). It's a little hard to hide that.
                        Oh yeah and I wear a great big pendant with Her likeness above my clothing, even at work. I'm sure lots of people have guessed from that.

Funny though, it doesn't really come up much.
                        Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

My friend outed me to my wife when he invited us to this years witch's ball. It turned out OK and she had fun.
                          Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Well...my mom has always kinda known. I asked for alot of books when I was younger. It's really not discussed though. Not yet. Yesterday she caught me reading a book on Sabbats, she hasn't said anything yet.

My dad died last summer, and he never knew. I guess I assumed he'd always make a joke of it. I guess now I'll never know.

My step family will never know. They're not religious, but very judgemental, and they already think of me as strange, this will knock them right over the edge.

My SO shares my beliefs and let me tell you, it feels SO to be with someone I don't have to hide myself from.

Comment

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=49.msg12955#msg12955 date=1289731083]
                              If my grandmother is around, I'm so far in the broom closet I'm playing Quiddich in Narnia.
                              [/quote]

You just earned some serious Deseret points for saying that.

I know the feeling...but have never expressed it so humorously.
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Monk link=topic=49.msg14934#msg14934 date=1290186403]
                                My friend outed me to my wife when he invited us to this years witch's ball. It turned out OK and she had fun.
                                [/quote]

Your friend probably still feels bad about that. But look at the bright side - you're too big to fit comfortably in a broom closet anyway...
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X