This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coming out of the Broom Closet

I'm pretty lucky. My mom is unitarian and my dad isn't religious and my brother is atheist, so it wasn't really an issue with them. My dad's only worry is that having a religion will be distracting in my career, but I think it's not such a big deal anymore now that it's pretty clear that I'm not spending hours every week doing rituals.

I talk about it less with my friends...not because anyone really has a problem with it but because everyone has different views on these things. Some are atheists and a couple of those don't get religion in general so I just avoid talking about anything like that with them at all because they just don't really understand and think it's kind of illogical, some friends are liberal Christians, and a few have various other spiritual beliefs (Buddhism, general spiritualism, etc). I don't think there's anyone anymore that doesn't know I'm a pagan though.

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=49.msg14959#msg14959 date=1290192566]
      You just earned some serious Deseret points for saying that.

I know the feeling...but have never expressed it so humorously.
      [/quote]

teehee thanks. feel free to use it.
      if we can't make light of our situations, what use are we?
      Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

my hardest issue with admitting i'm pagan (to anyone really) is that they either assume i'm a satan worshipper (which of course i expect to get from the fundamentalists) or people assume i'm wiccan (which i'm not, seriously, i carry 'zero' wiccan beliefs) - just gets frustrating i guess when people can't understand that you follow a religion most people believe to be dead.

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=49.msg151#msg151 date=1286613861]
          What is your story on letting others know you are Pagan? How has it effected you for better or worse? Has it changed your relationships with them? What challenges have you had to overcome?
          [/quote]

I don't ever make a point of my spiritual persuasions. Why would I? Unless someone asks me, or I make an off-hand remark without knowing it, but I am most certainly NOT going to jump up and down going: "Wooooh! I'm a PAGAN baby!" I once woopsy posted a link to a pagan-oriented site about a topic on my FB. Nobody said nothing. They know I'm no Christian anyway.

Comment

I guess I'm sort of in the closet and sort of not. Its like I was never in there to begin with, I just was never OUT with my potions everywhere and asking them if they wanted Tarot readings.

Mostly, in my family, its a moot point. On both sides I am the only one who isn't Christian, but I have definitely led the most wild life of any of them, even if that life hasn't led me to jail like some of the others (because I would call that stupid, not wild). So when I stopped going to church it was a pretty good indication that I wasn't a Christian. I've spoken with my mother a bit about what I believe and she is ridiculously open about it, listening and asking questions, and generally being the most awesome Christian mother of a Pagan. My dad and I don't really talk much so we definitely won't talk about my faith. Or his.

The rest of my family, well, I guess to be honest I couldn't give a shit if they know. Its a waste of my breath and I know it will result in insults, jeers, a screaming match, and feelings hurt all around. They know I'm not Christian. To them, that's all they need. They're also smart enough to let me well alone about it after a few attempts to save me from hell. I don't bring my beliefs to them. They do their best to keep theirs from me, and frankly, I'm not worried or bothered by prayer, crosses, Jesus, or any other elements of Christian mythology. I just don't buy it.

So they just shake their heads and silently disapprove and equate every mistake I've ever made (that they know about) to it. Because, yanno, all those cousins of mine who gave their hearts to the Lord who have kids out of wedlock and spend time in jail are definitely the example of mistakes made in the Lord... so its ok... ?
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

lol I guess i'll update on my status.
              Everyone on my interent cites knows i'm pagan. and everyone on my fb if they care to ever look would know i'm pagain. one day duf and i jsut changed our religion to pagan. lol I got nothing from it. so i'm assuming they dont care.

my RL is pretty much the same tho very few people know of my beliefs and the ones that do either dont care or have the same beliefs.

my step-mom however is and always will be in the dark.... *shudder* on the day that she finds out....
              "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

[quote author=Tiger-Lily link=topic=49.msg22181#msg22181 date=1292304616]
                I don't ever make a point of my spiritual persuasions. Why would I? Unless someone asks me, or I make an off-hand remark without knowing it, but I am most certainly NOT going to jump up and down going: "Wooooh! I'm a PAGAN baby!" I once woopsy posted a link to a pagan-oriented site about a topic on my FB. Nobody said nothing. They know I'm no Christian anyway.
                [/quote]

But that's just how you let me know you were Pagan .

Comment

[quote author=Freyja link=topic=49.msg22212#msg22212 date=1292329232]
                  But that's just how you let me know you were Pagan .
                  [/quote]

Awwww, cute kitty! And I did not. :P

Comment

[quote author=Tiger-Lily link=topic=49.msg22263#msg22263 date=1292353019]
                    Awwww, cute kitty! And I did not. :P
                    [/quote]

;D

Comment

[quote author=B. de Corbin link=topic=49.msg14963#msg14963 date=1290193358]
                      Your friend probably still feels bad about that. But look at the bright side - you're too big to fit comfortably in a broom closet anyway...
                      [/quote]
                      Sorry I just found this. It's OK I was pretty tired of dancing around the issue anyways. Like I said the kids had it figured out for the most part.
                      So no Sweet bro.
                      Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Well, my parents found my twitter. The posts were locked, but my bio is available. Long story short, they know I'm Pagan now. I knew it woukd come out eventually, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet :S I'm having dinner with them on Thursday. So nervous!

Comment

I told my parents I was wiccan in high school, after I left catholism. My dad was upset and called me a devil worshiper but my mom was ok with it. I think it sparked an interest in her, because now we both call ourselves pagan. My dad is ok with it now, but every once in a while he'll call me an atheist, just teasing me. My siblings are more spiritual so it doesn't bother them either. Its my extended family that has a problem. I have a lot of born again Christians on my dad's side and they're constantly trying to "Save" me. One of my cousin's even tricked me into going to his church for 2 hours (it was his wedding day, he told us the ceremony was at 9....the wedding didn't start till 11. sitting thru 2 hours of that sermon was painful!) Their opinion is moot to me though. My friends are all fine with my paganism, my roommates even celebrate Sabbats with me.

The only place I'm in the closet is at work. I work with very Catholic people. I mean, the only reason I have the job is because I listed my previous job working with the catechism at my old church. I don't think I'd be fired, but I think it would make working here uncomfortable, so I just keep my mouth shut.
                          It does not do to dwell in dreams and forget to live - Albus Dumbledore

Comment

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=49.msg29446#msg29446 date=1295362611]
                            but I'm not sure I'm ready for it yet :S I'm having dinner with them on Thursday. So nervous!
                            [/quote]

You'll be fine, Good luck x
                            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Talked to my mom and had a deeper discussion about what I believe in. Then through out the discussion she found out that maybe she needs to do some research because she thought that just because she believed in God that made her Christian. She doesn't believe in Christ or the Bible. Just that there is a higher power then us. She actually said by the end of the discussion "maybe I am kind of pagan too..."
                              sigpic

Comment

lol i figured it was time to update... i'm pretty much out of the closet except for the "parents' EVERYONE else knows. and i talk freely to everyone.. but i still watch what i say to the parents (minus my father who is athiest/agnostic... something i dont even know) he was the first i told ^.^

haha and my step mom saw my pentacle a while ago and said it was "pretty! what is it?" i replied "i dunno jsut a star i liked the look" HA she thought it looked like the star of david LOL and what makes the really funny is cause our old church had a bible study where they gave us a paper on all the "devils signs" and the penticle was on it... along with the goats head and things lol she OBVIOUSLY doesnt remember... or chooses not to acknowlage it so she can stay in her little bubble... cause i was the "only child' (out of a total of 5) she has that ever went to church of my own free will even after i left home... lol she'd be so distraught if she ever found out..
                                "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

Working...
                                X