The Greek Muses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Greek Muses

Since I have yet to develop quality researching skills, I was wondering if any of you out there could answer my question. Is there any way that I could recognize the Greek muses as deities?

Re: The Greek Muses

I'm not a Greek Pagan, but I don't see why not. They're considered to be (in most popular views) the daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne.

Theoi.com
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

I'm fairly sure the muses were actively worshiped in ancient times.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by BerrySpice View Post
        Since I have yet to develop quality researching skills, I was wondering if any of you out there could answer my question. Is there any way that I could recognize the Greek muses as deities?
        The Muses *are* goddesses. Whatever gave you the idea that they weren't?
        Memories of Pain and Light: http://painandlight.wordpress.com

"Hey love, I am a constant satellite of your blazing sun; my love, I obey your law of gravity, this is the fate you've carved on me, the law of gravity..." -Vienna Teng, Gravity

Comment

Originally posted by PainAndLight View Post
          Whatever gave you the idea that they weren't?
          The fact that the sources I've checked never referred to them as such.

Comment

Greece had a sizable number of divinities beyond the 12 Olympians. The Muses are among them.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Absolutely--the Muses were deities of Greece. And even if they weren't, you could still recognize them as such if you chose to.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BerrySpice View Post
                Are you asking for a how-to, or asking if it's even possible? The Moisai absolutely were regarded as goddesses in antiquity. I can help you with any how-to after I get off the BlackBerry and go upstairs.
                Of Thespiae

Comment

While they certainly are deities, in my opinion, I definitely think it is a matter of opinion and it's something you ought to choose depending on what makes you feel comfortable.

Comment

Working...
                  X