Ways to dispose of purpose made ritual items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to dispose of purpose made ritual items

I have a specific reason that caused me to think of this but I'll get to that later.
    I'm not really talking about things like candles or cords used in ritual.
    For those of you that have, for lack of a better term "used up" a ritual item. How do you dispose of it? Say you have a boline that you've sharpened so many times that it no longer takes an edge. Maybe you have a wooden wand that got wet and isn't really in great shape anymore. Perhaps you accidentally burned or stained an altar cloth so badly that it's not useful for it's intended purpose.
    Does anyone have any rituals or ways that you dispose of these items? I guess I don't really mean retiring an item that's functional either. But something you have no use for and it doesn't really have sentimental value.

What started me thinking about this was a while back a "friend" found out I made a couple of wands and she asked for one. One with specific designs and so on. So I made this wand with her requests. It's stained the color she wants, it has a dragon wood burned into it. Well, after it was completed but before I could get it to her she moved. I guess she ran off with some guy. She didn't pay me anything and I wasn't going to ask for any payment. I made it for her just because. But now she's gone and I have no way to get it to her. I don't even know where she is or if she's coming back. She's been gone a while.
    So I have this wand I don't want and have no use for sitting around. I thought about just tossing it but it was made with intent and for a purpose. I was wondering if I should just stash it in case she ever shows up again or if I should find some honorable way to dispose of it.

Any thoughts?

Re: Ways to dispose of purpose made ritual items

Well, it depend on the item. In your case, you might see if there is a pagan shop in the area that might buy it to resell, trade, or take it to sell of commission. If so, I'd just cleanse it first (most people that buy something will also cleanse it later). Or maybe someone else might be interested. Another option is to cleanse it and dispose of it. You could burn it, depending on the materials use or you could compost it, toss in in a body of running water, etc (these are pretty standard ways of getting rid of magical items).
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Bury or burn, to destroy. But you might consider just leaving it somewhere, like a park bench where some random stranger will pick it up, on the theory that whoever finds it is the one "meant" to find it.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I kind of like the idea of leaving it somewhere for someone to find. Someone might appreciate and get some use out of it. There are public rituals around here every once in a while. Maybe I'll leave it on a table or bench with a note attached saying, "Wand to a good home."

Comment

i return those things to the earth that won't harm it- metal objects, well, i have never needed to get rid of one, but i suppose if i had t i would either re-purpose the metal, or throw it in a river, as an offering. i know at first glance that sounds like giving the gods your trash, but think of the love and energy you have put into the tool. now think about the pain you will feel as that old familiar thing isnt there anymore. that makes it a worthy offering, in my eyes. I wouldnt leave it laying about though. your tools are connected to you, and whoever finds the thing , well, their energies could become attached to you.

Comment

Were it one of my personal tools I would certainly dispose of it. Since it's a wooden wand, (also what I use) I would just burn it or bury it. But it was never my tool. I've never used it. I did make it for someone that I can no longer give it to, but I've never put energy into it other than the fact that I made it.

Comment

hmm.. maybe holding onto it is the correct answer- but someone had said leaving it out at a pagan gathering or the like where someone could find it- perhaps with a note that it was happy to have met the finder so they didnt try to locate the owner- sounds like a great way for it to find someone who needs it.

Comment

Working...
              X