This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Arabic Language Learning Thread

Psst. Actually, I would almost consider it cheating because you can then use the cursor to identify the beginning and end of each letter - it helps tremendously, I mean. Even though the text becomes TINY. For instance, the Sh you showed us? It becomes obvious that it's a different letter than what we're working on.

تأهل منتخب الشباب المصري إلى نهائيات كأس الأمم الأفريقية

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=455.msg6650#msg6650 date=1288031645]
      Psst. Actually, I would almost consider it cheating because you can then use the cursor to identify the beginning and end of each letter - it helps tremendously, I mean. Even though the text becomes TINY. For instance, the Sh you showed us? It becomes obvious that it's a different letter than what we're working on.

تأهل منتخب الشباب المصري إلى نهائيات كأس الأمم الأفريقية
      [/quote]

Oh, then I should really provide both options next time. The image and the actual text. Even if it becomes tiny in your reply box, you could still highlight the Arabic text in my posts here in the thread. Which I would make larger.

It's not cheating because this isn't a test! If you can use the highlight option it will REALLY help seeing where letters begin and end, like you said.

I'm also gonna post a link to the answers to the exercises I give you in the same post. I guess this is a learning exercise for both of us. I'm sure we will both get better in time!
      [4:82]

Comment

I'll say it again. This is awesome!

And yeah, "almost" cheating. It's a benefit that seems like a large one.

There's a question to be made, there, too, D. Is the size of the text normally that small? Or is that just a quirk of interwebz translation?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I'm thinking it might be a forum software thing, Chain. Usually, the text is larger than that.

Comment

I agree....highlighting the text is extremely helpful! I love the idea that there are letters for sounds like Th and Sh....makes things easy....my problem I think will be with no use of vowels. I know context definitely helps, but....I feel like I will need to see a few examples to figure it out in my head. :P

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

yeah, sorry teacher. I can't look at this text too long. Unless it's really BIG BIG I have a big problem here. I can see what the letts T, Th and B should look like. I just can't go through and highlight etc and copy and paste. It all ends up small. So I'll just say..I get what the letters look like. No homework to turn in. My...cat ate it. Sorry.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

This is tres cool.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=455.msg6766#msg6766 date=1288048214]
                  I agree....highlighting the text is extremely helpful! I love the idea that there are letters for sounds like Th and Sh....makes things easy....my problem I think will be with no use of vowels. I know context definitely helps, but....I feel like I will need to see a few examples to figure it out in my head. :P

[/quote]

I'm glad the highlight text option is helpful!

I can understand how it would be hard for you to understand the short vowel thing, but there are signs we use on letters so you know what vowel to use, I'm gonna teach you about those later. I was just pointing out that for us it's easy to read without those signs. Like newspapers and most books don't use them.

hmmm do you undrstnd ths sntnce? :P

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=455.msg6772#msg6772 date=1288048431]
                  yeah, sorry teacher. I can't look at this text too long. Unless it's really BIG BIG I have a big problem here. I can see what the letts T, Th and B should look like. I just can't go through and highlight etc and copy and paste. It all ends up small. So I'll just say..I get what the letters look like. No homework to turn in. My...cat ate it. Sorry.
                  [/quote]

It's OK, the homework is just there so you can test yourself, no extra grades from me
                  You can still look at the big pictures I post, I use big font there.

Oh and here are the answers: Click me fool!

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=455.msg6779#msg6779 date=1288048914]
                  This is tres cool.
                  [/quote]

You are tres cool!
                  (Thanks)

AND TO EVERYONE ELSE, HERE ARE THE CORRECT ANSWERS!

I've also posted the answer below the original lesson after the questions.

Comment

Can we learn conversational phrases? So far I've taught the other waitresses how to say my love girl rabbit. And my rabbit penis.

Comment

Ana ismi (my name is)
                      Ana stands for I or me. This is very important in case you are in a foreign Arab land and you need to refer to yourself. So when you point to yourself and say anaana __ (I am __) or say ana ismi __ (my name is __). The S in ismiismii sound to a noun it means this thing is yours. So ismiiee or even y to make that sound. So to learn that rule I want you to remember one of those two phrases:

If it belongs to I, add an i
                      or
                      If it belongs to me, add an ee

Examples:

kitab (book) ---> kitabi (my book)
                      deen (religion) ---> deeni (my religion)
                      kitt (male cat) ---> kitti (my cat)

The exception to that rule is words that end with a letter that sounds like ai because it would make an ai sound. So we add a ti or teeana ismiismi

Comment

Michael:

Bonus score, Chain:

Comment

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=455.msg6983#msg6983 date=1288112026]
                          Michael:
                          [/quote]

مايكل

Bonus score, Chain:
                          تشاين

I added pics of your name with 'English' letters below.

Comment

do me!

Comment

[quote author=Medusa link=topic=455.msg7021#msg7021 date=1288116240]
                              do me!
                              [/quote]

I'd love to. Let's get a room

Jodee:

جودي

Medusa:

ميدوسا

Comment

I think I'm in love with your language.

Katee, and I'd like to see Katee-Leigh.