Clear All

Re: The Arabic Language Learning Thread

I'm getting special lesson.
    tee hee. :-*

yay! new smilies. No more crack babies!
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=455.msg7029#msg7029 date=1288117991]
      I think I'm in love with your language.

Katee, and I'd like to see Katee-Leigh.
      [/quote]

Katee:

كايتي

Oh and does Leigh sound like Lee?

[4:82]

Comment

Eww grammatical cases ;_; Is this an all around genetive, or only limited to nouns + mine?

Comment

[quote author=Hoho link=topic=455.msg7038#msg7038 date=1288120391]
          Eww grammatical cases ;_; Is this an all around genetive, or only limited to nouns + mine?
          [/quote]

You mean the i sound? In that case, yes, it's used to indicate "noun is mine".

At least that's what i understood from your question :P

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=455.msg7034#msg7034 date=1288119515]
            Katee:

كايتي

Oh and does Leigh sound like Lee?
            [/quote]

Cool! And yes, Leigh sounds like Lee.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=455.msg7063#msg7063 date=1288126535]
              Cool! And yes, Leigh sounds like Lee.
              [/quote]

Ah, OK. Here you go:

Leigh:

لي

Comment

Amber

I'd be interested in my screen name too, if you don't mind.

Edited to add: I think I'm completely ruining the pronunciation... I have my Russian classes pronunciations running through my head
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=455.msg7099#msg7099 date=1288135841]
                  Amber

I'd be interested in my screen name too, if you don't mind.

Edited to add: I think I'm completely ruining the pronunciation... I have my Russian classes pronunciations running through my head
                  [/quote]

No problem

Amber:

امبر

Shahaku:

شاهاكو

Your screen name looks cool in Arabic!

Comment

Hey! I just realized there's a B in my name. We know that letter, yay.
                    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Letters S and Sh

This lesson is sponsored by (Medusa's friend) ...[glow=red,2,300] TEH DEVIL!!!!!666!![/glow]

The reason this lesson is sponsored by the devil is because of two things. Because of how the letters look like, and because of what they sound like. As for the sound, the devil likes the letter S because it stands for Satan. And as for the letter Sh, the Arabic word for devil is Shaytan. Satan and Shaytanسكر SUKKAR (Sugar)
                      سلام SALAM (Peace)
                      سر SIRR (Secret)

Middle (Those words are brought to you by the anti devil squad):
                      مسلم MUSLIM (one who submits)
                      عيسى
                      مسيح MASEEH (Christ)
                      موسى MUSA (Moses)

End:
                      ناس NAS (People)
                      ماس MAS (Diamond)
                      أمسletters B, T and T )

Opening credits to Al-Haddaf (Arabic dubbed football Anime)

أنا هداف (Ana Haddaf - I am a goalscorer)

أنا هداف أنا هداف
                      يلمع مثل النجم الساطع
                      أهدافي أحلى الأهداف
                      وفريقي كالأمل الساطع

أنا هداف أنا هداف
                      أنا هداف أنا هداف

من يتدرب باستمرار
                      سوف يهز المرمى هز
                      من يتسلح بالاصرار
                      سوف يحقق أروع فوز
                      سوف يحقق أروع فوز

أنا هداف أنا هداف

اهتف اهتف يا جمهور
                      شدوا العزم وشدوا الهمة
                      اهتف لفريق منصور
                      يسعى قدما نحو القمة
                      يسعى قدما نحو القمة

أنا هداف أنا هداف

نحن فريق عقد العزم
                      ألا يهزم ألا يغلب
                      حتى يصبح منذ اليوم
                      نجم الكرة ونجم الملعب
                      نجم الكرة ونجم الملعب

أنا هداف أنا هداف
                      أنا هداف
                      أنا هداف

Click me for Answers: Red = S , Blue = Sh

Comment

Anta Jameel/Anti Jameela (You are beautiful)
                        Anta jameel/anti jameela(anta) and a female form (anti).

Secondly, adding a certain letter which sounds like an a to the end of adjectives and some words, transforms a word into the female form of that word.

Think of Queen Latifah. Latifah is an Arabic word meaning someone who is nice or kind. If she was a man her name would have been King Latif. (I removed the last letter, which sounds like an aجميلة

ـةaa. Think of Queen Latifah, Lady Gaga and Madonnaa (Salma is brave)
                        Umar taweel (Umar is tall) - Salma taweela (Salma is tall)
                        Umar ameen (Umar is trustworthy) - Salma ameena (Salma is trustworthy)
                        Mudaris (male teacher) - Mudarisa (female teacher)
                        Ibn (son) - Ibna (daughter)
                        kitt (male cat) - kitta (female cat)
                        kalb (male dog) - kalbawaladbintabumana jameel/jameela

Comment

Okay, google is giving me twenty translations for the word short.. and it's all in arabic letters I pretty much don't know yet so... whats the word for short as in height?

Comment

Sorry to double post, but I was wondering if you could post the letter a as an image like you've done with the other letters. I have a simplified word document I'm putting together and getting that letter into it is proving difficult. I've finally just given up and drawn it in, but it looks weird.

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=455.msg9606#msg9606 date=1288796027]
                              Okay, google is giving me twenty translations for the word short.. and it's all in arabic letters I pretty much don't know yet so... whats the word for short as in height?
                              [/quote]

It's the effort that counts!

"Short" in Arabic is kaseer, and since you are female you'd add an a sound at the end.

Anti kaseera = You are short
                              Ana kaseera = I am short

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=455.msg9616#msg9616 date=1288798123]
                              Sorry to double post, but I was wondering if you could post the letter a as an image like you've done with the other letters. I have a simplified word document I'm putting together and getting that letter into it is proving difficult. I've finally just given up and drawn it in, but it looks weird.
                              [/quote]

Oh sure, no problem. Just remember this isn't the actual letter a but another one that is added to the end of some feminine words.

Comment

Thanks Dumuzi...this is great!
                                What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                                X