Lucid Dreaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid Dreaming

There are so many articles about it on the web, and i figure there must be people here on the forum that have successfully induced lucid dreaming....care to give any techniques? I know i have been asking a lot of questions lately and asking for different material, so i do kind of feel bad for asking so much...but there are so many articles online it is really hard for me to sort through it all and organize successful techniques from fakes.

One thing i can offer though, is that if anyone wants a tarot reading, just feel free to send me a personal message or reply here with the question..

Re: Lucid Dreaming

All the techniques for learning lucid dreaming that I know of involve something which will cause mild sensory stimulus to the experimenter - not enough to keep him/her from falling asleep, but enough so that it will be slightly noticable to the dreamer. Usually some kind of head gear, like a headband, or something wrapped around the arm or wrist is common. There is a commercial product with little flashing lights inside a blindfold which serves the same purpose...

...which is to get you to notice when in a dream that you are dreaming. The stimulus usually translates in the dream into something else, but sometimes you (the "you" in the dream) will be jared by the odd dream interpretation and remember the stimulus, which will tell you that you are dreaming.

At least, that's the theory.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I've successfully practiced lucid dreaming since childhood. It's actually relatively simple. I recently picked it up again. However, I think your goals for lucid dreaming are important. When I was a kid, I wanted to be able to control anything anytime. Recently, I picked up lucid dreaming to give myself an escape from recurring nightmares which were plaguing me.

I think the latter is a good first step, because it doesn't necessarily require that you be aware of dreaming initially, but I've found that it is actually a signal that you are dreaming, and full lucid dreaming can be achieved through that. Let me explain.

So, for instance, in this nightmare, I was pursued by a malevolent group of men, and I could jump super high, into treetops, but I would always fall or run out of places to jump to. To help this, I visualized myself flying with huge angel wings before sleep every night. After about three weeks, I was in my nightmare, suddenly stopped running, and said, "Of course!" and promptly took off from the ground, soaring upward. As soon as I did, I thought, "Oh right, this is a dream. I finally did it; I'm flying."

So you see, the action manifested (rather abruptly and thoughtlessly), then I was able to realize that my waking intention worked, and I knew instantly that it was a dream. I could enter full blown lucid dreaming at this point, but I could also not and just enjoy my one intention of flying.

Full lucid dreaming, in my opinion, is much harder to attain and can take much longer. The first obstacle is to know that you are dreaming. That can be done using the above technique, in my experience, and can also happen various other ways. For instance, I have lots of recurring dreams. If I realize I've been somewhere before, I can realize it's a dream. I also know that I can influence the contents of my dream fairly easily by immersing myself in media--a video game, movie, or book can set the stage for me. As a kid I read the Harry Potter books to assist me in lucid dreaming, because if I read them over and over again, my dreams would take place in that world, and I could tell whether or not I was dreaming OR just enjoy the setting. I don't know how susceptible other people are to this. Another way is to just be super conscious about any discrepancies your dreams may have with reality, such as willing yourself to look at a clock or watch in your dream. Such detailed objects are usually all kinds of wonky in dreams, and then you'd know.

The real trouble for me is twofold. 1) How to stay asleep once you know you're dreaming and 2) How to begin taking control.

1) I usually do this as gingerly as possible. In my nightmare flight, I intentionally let go of the vivid thought that I was dreaming, because I risked either waking myself up or falling as my reality-minded self came into play and decided gravity was a law of physics. The best way I've found to not wake myself up is a) practice! And b) not thinking about it too much, or thinking about it very vaguely intermittently. It's rather difficult to describe, but when the thought comes that you are dreaming, try pushing it to the background of your thought. It's like looking at something indirectly. In my experience, if I think too hard about being asleep, my mind rushes to my physical body in bed.

2) I like to think about lucid dreaming as breaking the Matrix. You know the whole "Everyone falls the first time" thing? That's true in my experience of lucid dreaming. When I first was able to be aware of dreaming without waking up, I only wanted to fly. So I'd jump, then fall like in real life, because conceiving of flight intentionally is *hard*. Instead, I like starting with telekinesis or pyrokinesis. The first thing I was able to lift with my will in a dream was a frisbee. Lighting things on fire is easier these days than anything else, though often it first is just an ability to char something. You see, your imagination needs to build strength, or mine does at least. Once I can lift one thing, I try a heavier object. If I can char something, then I try to set it on fire.

With practice, you keep gaining further awareness and control. Personally, it's damned near impossible for me to fly unless I have a prop (usually wings or a broom--oddly, leather wings are easiest for me) or I've practiced a ton of levitating external objects and then concentrate on lifting myself the same way. I just think flying without a prop is exhausting, and it often is labored, like swimming.

I'm sure you can go further and further. Erect a castle, conjure a dragon, whatever. But that seems like a lot of work to me.

Have fun! I hope this was helpful.

Comment

Michael, I twice typed an incredibly long response to this. One was erased. I assume the other was eaten by a spam filter for some reason. Because it hasn't appeared yet, perhaps I should send you a PM? I've been lucid dreaming since I was a child and love sharing techniques, as I often drop it for years at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
          Michael, I twice typed an incredibly long response to this. One was erased. I assume the other was eaten by a spam filter for some reason. Because it hasn't appeared yet, perhaps I should send you a PM? I've been lucid dreaming since I was a child and love sharing techniques, as I often drop it for years at a time.
          For some reason your post was considered spam. I approved your post so everyone can read it now. I'll mention this to the staff so we can figure out what is going on here.
          [4:82]

Comment

Thanks a whole lot! I really appreciate it.

My theory was that because I kept putting quotation marks around things, maybe part of the spam filter is catching proselytization, like excessive scripture quotes etc. Just a theory. It seems like if I don't use quotations my posts go through fine.

Yay for not re-typing!

Comment

You can also use Binaural Beats. Theta signal works best as it puts you on REM sleep in short time after you fall asleep. Usually it takes about 4-6 hours to attain REM sleep, but with Theta Binaural Beats this SHOULD happen in 10-15 minutes, giving you stupidly long dreams, that, if you are lucky enough, you'll remember. I do not know, though, if you need to keep repeating the loop or just once and that's it. I think you only need to play it once, because if it starts to loop endlessly, I don't know if you can snap out of REM.

I am about to try this tonight. I'll update with my experience. PM me if you'd like for the links to the youtube videos of the sound. They last 10 and 15 minutes. You can download them with J-Downloader or something.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I've tried them, but they haven't worked out for me in lucid dreaming, though I find them useful for hypnotic trance.

Comment

I dream when I'm falling asleep and I find this is the best time for lucid dreaming for me. If I'm woken up ten to fifteen minutes after I start drifting off I can tell you my dreams. Occasionally, I keep playing video games when I go to sleep, I even move my fingers, and if my fiance asks me what I'm doing, I'll tell him like I'm awake, but I'm in a half state. The only other time I come close to lucid dreaming is nightmares where I wake up. I'll be awake, know where I'm at and that I'm dreaming, but the dream keeps going.

I don't know how I do this, but I did develop something similar through meditation and creating a "new" world in my meditations. It's a pretty detailed world that includes three countries, two castles, a town, about five main people I contacted, an ocean, and a variety of species of people, animals, terrains. When I went to this place, it was like dreaming but I was in complete control. I have wondered over the years if I was doing some kind of astral projection, because it's been difficult for me to fall into this state since I quit practicing, but a rational side says it was all in my head.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

hey im been lucid dreaming too and the trick i found was
                    when your ready to go to bed when your about to fall asleep keep in mind what is the last thing you remember
                    with that pratice when you gonna be sleeping mostly you will know your dreaming and you will be able to control your dream

it come with pratice thought

hope it will help you
                    one out of many
                    difference does'nt make everybody happy but does make a person unique!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X