Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Is this to much,at my age I won't be going to college or taking a government job,or even having a facebook page,ever. But I really think this is invasion of privacy.

What next,access to your private journals,your secret thoughts???
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Govt. agencies, colleges demand applicants' Facebook passwords

Only positions that I'm tolerant of this idiocy come with federal security clearances high enough that the FBI is already planning to go through your life with a fine toothed comb. Corrections has a better case than some but I'm not willing to grant them a pass just yet. Schools can go f*** themselves.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Most of the time, people are ignorant enough about privacy settings that no agency should have to ask for a password to access a person's facebook, myspace, gaia online, whatever.

Social media is one of the first places investigators would look - people incriminate themselves with videos & photos of crimes, stolen items & outright confessions all the time.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Why I do not have facebook,or myspace and I like my online handle. But even that can reveal your true name and address if one knows how to properly datamine.

I read that password1 is the most common password in business...
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I read that password1 is the most common password in business...
          'newuser' is pretty common, as is the person's user name... and I've personally been told to set high-level IT user passwords as 'Administrator' so no one would forget them & everyone in the office would have access.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

gahhh no way would I do this.

My facebook is private. I make a LOT of stuff public on the internet and if someone wants to dig they can find out all my hobbies, interests, thoughts, background story, etc. I volunteer it freely and knowingly on my blog, twitter, pinterest, goodreads, etc. But facebook is the little world I can go to to whine to my friends about a rainy day, German culture, and other stuff that I don't mind broadcasting but I don't really think is 'positive' enough to make public (not that it's all whining...I just don't censor myself on there). It's kind of like a journal that I share with 500 people I've allowed to see it (as opposed to the limitless amount who can access everything else). I'm not willing to share it. If a potential job asked that of me, I'd refuse, even if it meant not getting the job. If an employer has that little respect for me, I don't want to work for them. I guess I'm well off enough that I have this luxury...it sucks that a lot of people probably don't. That's a very clear abuse of power.

Friending doesn't bother me so much...I friend loads of people I work with, family, former teachers and stuff. If there's something I don't want to see, it's easy enough to add them to groups and hide posts from them. I don't really have anything to hide...I just don't like my facebook being public because I don't want my negative moments to be super public. I wouldn't let a potential employer access it out of principle (it's something I've chosen to leave private and out of all the info I make public I feel that should be respected). I -would- add a supervisor who I got along with though, and hide certain posts from them. I wouldn't want to be forced to do it though.
            Last edited by DanieMarie; 07 Mar 2012, 00:44.

Comment

I agree with you Danie about the principal. My fb is private and everything on it can only be viewed by those I have accepted as a friend. I also have a relatively small friends list of about 80 people, which does include mangers from where I work.

It is not that I have anything to hide, I am just a private person. In RL I am very choosy about what I share with others, and I don't see why my online life should be any different.
              http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

My facebook is private as well. I would never let anyone have my password to anything--email, twitter, here, anything. If someone like the FBI needed to get into it for some reason, they wouldn't need my password to access it anyway.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

While in college I had a campus job. When I went to collect my first paycheck the administration refused to turn it over unless I "voluntarily" signed an oath of allegience to the flag, the government, mom, baseball, and apple pie and was willing to swear with uplifted hand and voice that I had no communist connections and was not intending to overthrow the US government. Being 18, in need of rent money, and femininely unassertive, I gave into blackmail and signed the damn thing to get my money. With the support of a braver co-worker, I then lodged an official objection to the policy.

Now I am 56, object to bureaucratic blackmail, and can stand up for myself. You want my passwords before you'll give me a job? Pound sand- you're obviously rude, inquisitive, voyeuristic, invasive, disrespectful, controlling, probably sadistic, and not head of any company I want to work for.

Comment

Working...
                  X