View Poll Results: Where do you think divination answers come from?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • primarily from without (deities/the cosmos/spirits/etc)

7 9.09%
  • primarily from within (subconscious)

17 22.08%
  • half and half

51 66.23%
  • its BS all around

2 2.60%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Divination POV's

Oct 2010

Re: Divination POV's

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=460.msg6308#msg6308 date=1287922555]
    oh! I'm sorry about that!
    [/quote]

It's okay, I should have gotten that without an explanation. I was just making it too complicating in my mind ("is this some sort of Jung-type of shared subconscious or what.." ).

Nov 2005
    Religion
    Pagan Polytheist, primarily Dionysian

I mainly use runes; I never fully explored Tarot enough to be comfortable with it. Runes came far more naturally to me.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

I think I've *tried* just about everything. But, considering that I think that divination comes almost exclusively from within, with some room for cosmic synchronicity, I've found quite a few forms of divination to be superfluous...or that they don't speak to me enough to be worth the time and effort to be fluent in their use.

While I have used runes, I've never been overly interested in them enough to do more than a cursory study...I painfully waded my way thru a couple of books by Edred Thorsson (one our roomies was Heathen...we had community bookshelves), and then put them down as not useful enough FOR ME (before someone gets mad) to devote that kind of time and effort to. I prefer tarot cards...but not the Rider Waite style deck. I have a couple of different random decks that appeal to me for different reasons, though I only *use* one of them (and not all that often).

“You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

I picked "subconscious" - IMHO, whatever technique one uses acts as a sort of hook for your mind to hang things on. That's why I think some people have a distinct preference for one method over another.

I like the I Ching. Using it involves a little ritual that puts me in the right frame of mind, and it pretty much always provides me with something I can use. I like tarot cards, and have a couple of decks, but I don't use them for their intended purpose. I just like to look at the pictures.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Celtic Pagan
    Phrase
    That was fun. Lets never do that again.

I picked half and half, because sometimes we need a little guidance to get the the right solution
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Nov 2010
    Religion
    contemplative animism
    Phrase
    Not dead but dreaming . . .

When I'm pessimistic I feel it all comes from within.

But usually, I feel and believe that every turn of the card and every fall of the dice and every thought and every meaningful event is tied to kamma (from Buddhism) / Tao (Taoism) / Synchronicity (Carl Jung). kamma/tao/synchronicity is not exactly causal nor is it non-causal. It is not fate in a predetermined sense yet transcends the restrictions of time and normal action-reaction. It is not strictly internal or external, but both.

So, I could not answer your poll, because you did not include my answer!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Panentheist Druid
    Phrase
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

From within, for me.....however, some experiences I've had with Ouija, I do question if that is really the case......and if not, then my choice would have been "I don't friggin' know.".
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

I'm not really sure. Perhaps 50/50. Just wondering how much personal interpretation is involved in Divination. Is it gut feeling and can two people get very different readings from the same cards/runes

Jun 2005
    Religion
    Kemetic
    Phrase
    Ferocious as a furby

I also feel it's 50/50. For me it's part of the idea that when one is connected to the Divine/God/Etc. in addition to your subconscious. I don't know if that makes it clear as mud or what. Maybe I should go to bed lol.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

May 2005
    Religion
    Muslim

I think it doesn't do anything. But calling it BS is just impolite, so I didn't vote!
    Do they not, then, ponder about the Qur‘an? Had it been from someone other than Allah, they would have found in it much discrepancy. [4:82]