Sugar-free, gluten-free goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar-free, gluten-free goodies

I really like dietary restrictions. For someone who loves food, and loves to cook, sometimes things make me sick, and I've never been able to pinpoint what or why. So I play around with dietary restrictions all the time. I'm always dairy-free, being lactose-intolerant, but I like to play around with other things. Currently, I'm sugar-free and wheat-free (for the most part). But I love making gluten-free goodies, and until Lent is over, sugar is a massive no-no for me. So I've been going crazy trying to find things I can eat, and...I've been making some pretty tasty treats that I thought I'd share.

Currently, I'm in the middle of making these two recipes:

Salt and Vinegar Roasted Chickpeasfrom source

Ingredients (2 cups)
    2 cups canned chickpeas
    3-4 cups white vinegar
    1 tsp Coarse sea salt
    2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

InstructionsEndurance Crackers from source

Yield: 22 large crackers

Ingredients:

---------- Post added at 12:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

...and this was lunch today.

Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie adapted from source

Ingredients
    1 cup almond milk <--- unsweetened plain has no sugar
    1/3 cups oats (GF oats could be used, I used slow-cook oats)
    1 frozen banana
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla <--- omitted because my vanilla extract contains sugar
    1 tbsp carob powder/flour (see note below)
    1 tbsp cashew butter <--- I used almond butter
    1 tbsp chocolate chips <-- omitted and replaced with 1tbsp dark dutch cocoa
    2 ice cubes

Instructions

Mostly art.

Re: Sugar-free, gluten-free goodies

Definitely trying the last two (the first is out due to allergies!) I can second the part about subbing carob for cocoa...I'm allergic to carob so I do it all the time...works great!

Comment

This is awesome. I'm fairly sure I have somewhat of an intolerance for gluten though I've never really done anything about it until I started my diet a few months ago. Currently im 95% gluten free and sugar free as a result of the diet. But I hate cooking so I have no recipes of my own to share

Not yet anyway.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I'll have to dig through mine, but I may want to look to see how many are sugar-free or can be easily adapted.
        my etsy store
        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
        surrounded by plush, downy things,
        ill prepared, but willing,
        to descend."

Comment

Thanks so much for posting these. Chickpeas are my main source of protein (along with nuts and cottage cheese). I buy them in bulk dried because it saves me a fotune! I'd love to try out the salt and vinegar chickpeas when I'm off at the weekend.

I'm not much of a cook, but I have a few vegan and low calorie cook books, so I'll flick through for anything that might be sugar and gluten free.

Really great thread!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well, the chickpeas are a total success. They're freaking delicious. The crackers are currently in the oven, and I added some poppy seeds and some flax seed to them, because I think I added too much water initially (not a fault of the recipe, a fault of my own)

I'm also a really big fan of cooking with spelt flour (though, I recognize it's not GF - but it's not proper modern wheat, either, which is what I've been trying to limit in my diet). I have loads of spelt recipes, but I didn't exactly call the thread "the mostly GF goodies" thread, either. :P

Mostly art.

Comment

I wouldn't mind experimenting with different flowers actually. I seem to be okay with wheat. It is QUITE limited in my diet, but I've never totally excluded it so I wouldn't know for sure if I'd feel better without it. I do seem to get an upset stomach when I drink strong coffee, so maybe I have an intollerance to caffein? Really, I am not sure what to be looking out for. I always look unhealthy, with brittle nails and dry hair, no matter what I eat. I suspect I maybe don't absorb nutrients very well. I started taking supplements and when that did nothing, I doubled the dose. This made some difference, but not a great deal and I'm scared to go any higher in case I overdose on something.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                I wouldn't mind experimenting with different flowers actually. I seem to be okay with wheat. It is QUITE limited in my diet, but I've never totally excluded it so I wouldn't know for sure if I'd feel better without it. I do seem to get an upset stomach when I drink strong coffee, so maybe I have an intollerance to caffein? Really, I am not sure what to be looking out for. I always look unhealthy, with brittle nails and dry hair, no matter what I eat. I suspect I maybe don't absorb nutrients very well. I started taking supplements and when that did nothing, I doubled the dose. This made some difference, but not a great deal and I'm scared to go any higher in case I overdose on something.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  I'm also a really big fan of cooking with spelt flour (though, I recognize it's not GF - but it's not proper modern wheat, either, which is what I've been trying to limit in my diet). I have loads of spelt recipes, but I didn't exactly call the thread "the mostly GF goodies" thread, either. :P
                  I pretty much only cook with spelt. A lot of the gluten free flours here are either super expensive (because you have to get a collection of all the different kinds and mix it yourself) or I'm allergic to them (pretty much all the pre-mixed ones have soy or pea flour in them). We even have all purpose spelt flour here so you can use it in anything you'd make with wheat...you just have to know how to work with it, and I've been using it for so long that I'm used to it. We also have spelt pasta, spelt cream of wheat, spelt cookies....you can get almost everything made of spelt!

I thought I was intolerant to and then allergic to wheat for years, so I avoided it. I found out I'm neither, but now I just don't like it and I still swear it makes me feel gross. I don't care if it's psychological even...it make me feel that way and I don't want to eat much of it (I'm ok if I have it every once and a while).

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  Yeah you want to watch that. I was anemic for years and took a ton of iron. Now I have too much iron in my blood :/

Comment

I can't recall if you're avoiding honey or not, but this is a wonderful fall-winter dish. A former friend gave me the recipe, but I feel it's one that should be passed around.

Zippy Beets

2 tbsp olive oil
                    1/4 tsp ground cloves
                    2 c fresh diced beets
                    4 tbsp honey
                    dash of cayenne
                    3 tbsp millet flour
                    1/2 c water
                    1/4 tsp salt (I usually leave out the salt)
                    1/4 c cider vinegar (I've used white vinegar and got the same results)

Warm the olive oil in a pot. Mix in the honey, flour, salt, cloves, and cayenne. Stir in the water and vinegar. Cook, stirring until the sauce thickens. Boil for one minute. Add beets; warm thoroughly. Serve.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

to descend."

Comment

Caelia, that sounds delicious. Yeah, honey's a go - but only because the thought of going two months without honey is completely unreasonable to me (I have 7 jars of varying flavours sitting in my cupboard right now, and two of them are from France!) ...and they are all either homemade by friends, or purchased from bee farms.

I'm currently mowing down on what I consider to be a staple 'sweet' these days. With the lack of sugar and the relative lack of wheat in my diet right now, I'm sorely lacking in the carbohydrate category (which I don't consider to be a bad thing...) Anyhow, I've snagged the idea from Bliss Balls

Basically, it's a spoon of all natural PB, a spoon of either pumpkin seed butter, almond butter, or tahini (whatever I feel like at the moment), a bit of dark cocoa, a bit of cinnamon. Mush it all together with said spoon. Eat by the spoon. I need to keep my fat content high since I've started this no sugar thing, otherwise I feel like I'm lacking food at all times. It's freaking delicious. I put too much cocoa in this time though, so I added a bit of thistle honey just to make it not so astringent.

It might sound weird, but it's delicious. You should try it.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'll have to try this. It does sound delicious
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Dooooo it.
                          Last edited by volcaniclastic; 08 Mar 2012, 17:02. Reason: Stupid double post

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Dooooo it.
                            You make a convincing argument. When I have the ingredients I shall try them.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

to descend."

Comment

Last night's tasty treats: vegan polenta pizza, and raw vegan brownies. The brownies were seriously divine. I put it one heaping tsp of honey instead of what it calls for, and I found it almost too sweet. I used Medjool dates.

Raw Vegan Brownies taken from source

Ingredients:
                              1 cup pecans (you can use walnuts in a pinch, but pecans are much better!)
                              1 cup dates
                              5 tablespoons raw cacao (cocoa) powder
                              4 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
                              2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar
                              1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Directions
                              1. Place pecans alone in your food processor and process until the pecans become small and crumbly.

2. Add dates to the raw brownie recipe and process again until the mixture sticks together and the dates are well processed.

3. Add the remaining ingredients to this raw brownie recipe and process again until the mixture turns a lovely dark chocolatey brown. Stop processing before it gets too buttery. (There should still be air between the small bits so that you will be able to press them down into your brownie pan.)

4. Dump the mixture into a brownie dish or small cake pan and press down firmly using your clean hands.

5. Refrigerate this raw brownie recipe for a couple of hours. You do not have to refrigerate it, but it is much easier to slice when chilled. By the way, this is actually a raw brownie recipe that keeps its shape! So it can be good for serving to non-raw fooders because the presentation of this raw brownie recipe is good when chilled.

Vegan Polenta Pizza adapted from source

IngredientsDirections

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                              X