The Positive Impact of...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Positive Impact of...?

In your opinion, which one of the areas listed below has the greatest POSITIVE impact on an individual's personal well being?

His/her:

Religion
    Education
    Politics
    Economic system
    Gender Identity
    Lifestyle choices
    Religion
    0%
    Education
    0%
    Politics
    0%
    Economic system
    0%
    Gender identity
    0%
    Lifestyle choices
    0%
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: The Positive Impact of...?

I am the lone vote so far, hahaha.

It's all about the choices you make with what you have that make you who you are.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Well, you set the precedent, then.

But I'm going with "education" because a person with a good education (we're talking a REAL education in real things) is aware of more options, has more options open to him/her, and is better able to understand the consequences of his/her choices, both positive and negative.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        Well, you set the precedent, then.

But I'm going with "education" because a person with a good education (we're talking a REAL education in real things) is aware of more options, has more options open to him/her, and is better able to understand the consequences of his/her choices, both positive and negative.
        I also went for education, for pretty much the same reason. Education provides us with the knowledge about a lot of the other things in that list - such as religion and lifestyle choices.

Comment

Choices, education is vital but it's difficult at best to coerce learning and the wrong choices can render your odds of succesfully learning to be near nill.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I wanted to say 'education' but then, you know me, I had to try and define "personal well being". That brought me back to the initial question "what HAS the Greatest POSITIVE impact..." Well, damn.

"What has..." Not "can" but that it actually possesses, currently...
            Considering the fluid nature of human development.
            "The greatest..." Best or most?
            "Positive..."

Oh, hell with it!! I voted 'education' and skipped past the in-depth analysis that I was about to embark on.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Lifestyle choices. Nothing else really matters.

Mostly art.

Comment

I think education can have a huge, huge impact. Countries with strong education systems also statistically face lower inequality and that jazz.

Economic background (which isn't on the list) is also a strong influence. If you're well off, life can have its own challenges, but you do face a lot of advantages that other people just don't have. You can afford university, you often already have connections for jobs, etc.

Social systems like health care, welfare, etc also don't impact all people, but I think they make a huge difference to some people, and have a positive impact on society as a whole.

Comment

I went for education also,for my insight it means it gives me a better idea of what my other choices are,and that also concerns lifestyle. Without education,you may not be accepted because of your lifestyle,but education gives you value to business,and they might over look your lifestyle. I have long hair,and it used to be that would keep you from a job,but I had value to my employers that allowed me to keep my hair long.(bottom line for them was getting things done,on time,and kept downtime to a minimum.)
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think education can also strongly influence the other things on that list. Lifestyle choices, for example, will often be influenced by education. Not always, but there are a lot of cases where that's true.

Comment

I just know many people who are relatively uneducated, drop-outs, that kind of thing, who do amazingly well - and do amazing things. An education in life experiences can be worth so much more than what any school (especially American public schools) can teach.

I also know a lot of professional students who have done absolutely nothing and just walk around feeling resentful & entitled because they 'have an education and should expect people to treat them better on the merits of their degrees'.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Education tells you about options but it doesn't actually make decisions for you. I think that's my largest issue with putting it ahead of choices. Knowledge and understanding don't matter till they translate to action and actions have to be chosen. If I'm using an overly expansive definition for choices then that changes things but right now I'm stuck at the point of education doesn't do anything on its own. You have to apply what you know and action requires decision.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                          I just know many people who are relatively uneducated, drop-outs, that kind of thing, who do amazingly well - and do amazing things. An education in life experiences can be worth so much more than what any school (especially American public schools) can teach.

I also know a lot of professional students who have done absolutely nothing and just walk around feeling resentful & entitled because they 'have an education and should expect people to treat them better on the merits of their degrees'.
                          I don't know about everyone else who answered education, but I wasn't talking about post-secondary....I actually think primary education is the most influential in a person's life. I don't think many people in developed countries are 3rd grade dropouts!

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                            I don't know about everyone else who answered education, but I wasn't talking about post-secondary....I actually think primary education is the most influential in a person's life. I don't think many people in developed countries are 3rd grade dropouts!
                            Didn't used to be true. But in the US, we won't have public education any more pretty soon.

Comment

I chose Religion. If properly followed, any path and connection to diety (and in most cases tradition and community) will give you a set of rules to live by that say things like "better your self" "eat healty" "don't be a dick" ...

Comment

Working...
                              X