X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trauma and the ability to "see"

Originally posted by Dez View Post
    Something to think about, and I don't know if this holds true for everyone. For me, personally, though, and for those I've met who "see" or "hear" things from time to time, instead of just feeling...I've noticed that everyone I've met or talked to with those sorts of experiences had a really rough childhood. I personally wonder whether something got "kicked loose". Not that people who have those sorts of experiences are unstable(usually not the case, even if some are more unorthodox), but if certain experiences, such as experience with dissociative states due to trauma, make it easier for someone to have that style of experience. While good in some ways, also much more exhausting, overwhelming, and potentially disruptive of normal life, combined with a constant worry that you might have just gone over the edge into nuts.

Just my two cents, though.
    This is split off from Poison Tears' thread.

Dez's quote above has made me think about why some of us might "see" or "hear" things from our deities and others of us might not necessarily receive messages or information in this way.

Do you think trauma (from childhood or otherwise) could have a bearing on these experiences? Why or why not?
    Do you think there may be some other reason that some have these things happen and others do not?

Re: Trauma and the ability to "see"

I will definitely have to agree here,as I had started to say in my original thread, it was severe trauma that kind of "reset" me.
    I relate it to a "shamanistic awakening" i once read about. The trauma was so psychologically severe that my waking mind literally shut down for a few days. It simply could not handle it. Now I don't know what physical effects this overload of negative brain chemicals (or however it might work) but I do know, I just shut down, completely devoid of emotion and feeling. I think during this time, my brain chemistry changed. Quite literally.
    Over the course of a week or two I slowly and with much difficulty came out of it. But I found that my whole view on the world had changed. I had COMPLETELY lost all faith at that point. My earnest prayers had been answered with anguish and hardship that no one else could possibly understand. My parents begged me to pray and a outright told them (in anger) that I had and felt betrayed by it. I felt so abandoned and lost, and somehow, I don't really remember how, I began to get drawn to the pagan ideals. And the more I looked into it the more I realized that what i was reading was describing how I felt inside and what I wanted in life. I began to be more aware of "changes" and Coincidences around me. (Thats when I finally made the connection with Thor, not a physical one or such. i just somehow KNEW. I still cant explain it)
    I think some people ( like my sister) are just born with the ability to perceive the spirit world. And then I think there are others like myself that have alot of barriers in out way for one reason or another. I still have a LONG journey ahead of me, but as for this OP, I KNOW that my trauma changed me in ways that have effected me spiritually and my connection to the spirit world.

Comment

I had what might be called a rough childhood, but not traumatic - no serious illnesses, deaths in the family, things like that.

So that's not it for me. I think that some people are just attached more loosely to their bodies than are other people. I have to watch out because if I get bored, or let up on my mental grip a bit, I wonder off and start talking to the things that visit me in my head.

I didn't realize that it was not normal until I got much older, and I honestly still don't quite understand why everybody doesn't do it... It seems so easy to me.

I see it in my daughter too. It's very funny to watch.

And no, I'm not especially crazy....
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I don't know about that. I have dreams that happen and I had a fantastic childhood...I can sometimes also see my own aura (or life force or whatever).

I mean maybe? When I think about it while I had a really happy childhood, I did have some really stressful times (most of which I don't remember really but my mom told me about). I was born with a hole in my heart and was in and out of hospitals as a baby. I contracted an infection shortly after birth and got really sick and had to be pumped full of antibiotics. I had asthma (probably due to allergies) and serious food allergies and spent some time in the emergency room. I've almost died a number of times between my teens and now (thanks allergies!) I don't know if that's why though. My mom sometimes has uncanny things happen as well (like she'll think she sees someone but then realises it's not them, then a few minutes later she'll see the person she thought it was for real).
        Last edited by DanieMarie; 09 Mar 2012, 13:27.

Comment

I'm actually the least abused of my immediate siblings, but probably have the most active spiritual life.

My oldest sister has PTSD, neurological problems from drug abuse & back injuries, and gets dissociative events regularly. Even though she's a Wiccan, she doesn't get the full spectrum of 'visions'. Of the three of us, my oldest sister probably got the worst of the mental/emotional abuse. My middle sister is an atheist & has psychic dreams but won't admit to it - she's probably gotten the worst physical & sexual abuse throughout her life from our mother, her dad & her boyfriends/pimps/drug suppliers.

I don't think abuse or trauma makes people spiritual or have spiritual experiences, but I think experiencing abuse and trauma makes people seek deeper spiritual experiences. Most trauma victims want to believe that the experiences they've had 'mean something', or happened as part of the design for some greater tapestry. It's horrible to believe that everything you've gone through is just bad stuff happening for no apparent reason. Your abusers (or your body's betrayal of you in cases of severe illness) are just coincidental to your existence. That type of thinking can make the strongest of survivors crumble.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

To clarify my original post: my personal theory is that experiencing Gods and spirits as visions, voices, etc., might have something to with trauma, yes, but more specifically with whether as a result of said trauma someone is prone to dissociation as a coping mechanism. That is not the case for everyone.
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
              To clarify my original post: my personal theory is that experiencing Gods and spirits as visions, voices, etc., might have something to with trauma, yes, but more specifically with whether as a result of said trauma someone is prone to dissociation as a coping mechanism. That is not the case for everyone.
              I think that's the right theory, Dez. What I described as "loosely attached to their body" is a reasonable rough description of dissociation. Some people are normally more prone to it than others, in some, it is triggered by trama.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

yeah, I dont kow if i am dissociative, but i did crack my skull in highschool- partial amnesia, but no brain damage and nothing htat showed up on scans. that is when i started becoming more sensitive, though

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  I had what might be called a rough childhood, but not traumatic - no serious illnesses, deaths in the family, things like that.

So that's not it for me. I think that some people are just attached more loosely to their bodies than are other people. I have to watch out because if I get bored, or let up on my mental grip a bit, I wonder off and start talking to the things that visit me in my head.

I didn't realize that it was not normal until I got much older, and I honestly still don't quite understand why everybody doesn't do it... It seems so easy to me.

I see it in my daughter too. It's very funny to watch.

And no, I'm not especially crazy....
                  This is spot on for me, too. Communicating with things has been ridiculously easy for me. The things i talk to say that it's because i'm able to 'slide' easily. I guess i have had a kinda scary childhood, night-terrors and all...
                  "The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame."
                  -The table at the cafe

Comment

I realize I'm very new here, so forgive me for butting in, but this is something I've been thinking about for a long time myself.

I suffer from PTSD. I have a support community of other sufferers, and one topic that cropped up for a while is whether or not people with PTSD have psychic ability. An overwhelming number of sufferers attested that after trauma, they've experienced hyperperceptivity in one form or another.

I've wondered recently if it is merely my trauma and the resulting brain chemistry damage that has led me to believe in magik. Since my trauma a) occurred when my brain was still in its critical stage of formation during my trauma and b) I experienced a long line of recurrent trauma for most of my life, I don't think I'll ever personally find answers to the possible connection between my brain's altered state, my severe DID, and magik. What I do know is that during my trauma, I was supported and listened to ONLY by my spirit guide, familiar, or whatever you want to call my dear old dream-wolf friend, and I am wholly appreciative.

Comment

There is Hyper vigilance,and I do that,I always know exactly what and who is around me.A shrink said it came from my growing up in an inner city that could be dangerous. In my meditation I am able to be completely open to energy around me,and do get visions and such. If I am in a "Shady" place in the city,my street self comes out without even trying,and I think I project "I am crazy,stay out of my way" vibe because people tend to not confront me at all.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

The conclusion most sufferers came to on this topic was that hypervigilance is known to take on almost precogniscent (sp?) qualities, hence the psychic power people seem to experience more readily than their security-assured counterparts.

Aside from this, I do believe I've maybe attained a more powerful and easy connection to my higher self/Animus/demon/genius through my traumatic experiences. Something not quite myself has certainly acted as a guiding force in times of peril.

Dissociation also made me more creative, I think. Feeling outside yourself, looking out the window and watching yourself float out of it and away, is certainly a creative way of escaping the physical.

Comment

Working...
                        X