Approaches to Rituals: a Few Questions from a Novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approaches to Rituals: a Few Questions from a Novice

I have looked through several old posts for various answers to my many beginner questions, but I feel I now have a specific set of rather particular questions and would love any tips, opinions, or other wisdom.

I am a beginner to Paganism, though I've always interacted with many different Pagan communities and have always been voraciously curious. Now I am beginning to think it is the path for me.

But about paths, I don't think any one tradition/pantheon fits me well. I've been led to Paganism through studying the Church of Satan, where ritual (Greater Magic) is psychodrama, fulfilling emotional and spiritual needs, and when performing Greater Magic, you enter a state of "objective subjectivism," a state of willfully suspended belief. The magic produced is real, but there is no great pressure of faith, deification, or literal personification/interpretation. I like this.

Now, bear with me, because I'm getting to the practice/application part. I really believe in the animus/demon/genius aspect. It is very helpful for me, and it fits to describe my experience of reality. I truly believe that my demon guides me in 70% of the creative writing I do, about 95% of my poetry, and likely near or at 100% of the writing I did before age 15. If I feel extraordinarily faithful toward a magical concept, it is that my demon exists and has always been a palpable force in my creative life in particular.

Now, although I may find it helpful to associate a force in nature with a mythological deity or deities, I find it hard to detach my academic mind from most of these figures. They could be powerful invocations in the sense that I can visualize them, name them, etc., but I can't seem to give myself over to them wholly, even in objective subjectivism.

So, my first question is:
    -What do you think about the potential efficacy of believing in a self-created Pantheon I believe to be inspired by my demon?

Background:
    When I began writing, I was a little girl possessed. I was always fixated on creating new lore and mythology (my first dictated story, aged 4, was about how dragons created phoenixes). When I began writing in earnest, I would describe it as blacking out, then awakening to what was written. I wrote a single novel with a collection of short stories surrounding a single universe for almost three years every spare second of my days. In this universe, I had a very carefully honed mythology and Pantheon. I was totally connected to it. I even tried praying to one of the gods when I was 13 and found great comfort in it.

Point is, I think my demon wrote this. If you'd like to specifically know why, we can talk about it. But it is rich, and it enthralls me to this day and has never once ceased to inspire reverence in me.

If I feel so intimately connected with this Pantheon, do you think I can use them in ritual effectively?

The next question is pretty related.

-Can ritual occur in imagination/writing alone?

I think that my relationship to this universe became increasingly ritualistic as I became older. It was critical that I visit this place in writing frequently, or I would become much more depressed and hopeless, very frustrated and moody. I think, really, that this was my way of worshipping something, and of connecting to magic, releasing emotion, and gaining tranquility.

If this is how I feel I most viscerally experience magic ("automatic writing"/contact with my demon and expressing myself in imagination through vivid writing), is it possible that I could perform a ritual or spell inside of this medium? I mean, write me, however I decide to manifest as an individual, in a specific location, with all my props in line, and perform magic and ceremony in this way?

To quickly clarify (for I've written a lot!), I experience this world--moreso than anything I've written, even other long-term projects--as vividly as reality, or a lifelike dream. I experience every second as a breathing, sweating, carnal creature living in a reality. This is why I am considering this option of practice.

Re: Approaches to Rituals: a Few Questions from a Novice

Who says you need a pantheon? While there's nothing against creating your own it sounds almost as if you just don't view the powers that be in that light. I think you view them more as energy and what you write is more of a thoughtform, if that makes sense. Again, this is all good if you ask me.

Otherwise I think the best way to approach these rituals is to have some sort of purification ceremony for yourself.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

The thing is, I believe in personification of various otherly forces. I just simply have trouble feeling real connection to gods who existed for a culture a long, long time ago. Religion is often linked to cultural issues, political issues, and social issues (enter Zeus, patriarch who stole the right of conception out of female power with Athena; enter the patriarchal trinity!). In this light, I cannot connect, except historically/academically. I love mythology, but I see one god, evaluate it, then think of who s/he is represented by in other Pantheons, then the discrepancies, then the cultural and social reasoning behind these alterations... You get the idea.

I like the Satanic idea of being god of one's own universe, that's great, except I feel I have seen the divine and I know that it is wholly greater than I. So, that idea is out for me.

The amorphous idea of thought form, energy... It lends me something, but it's not enough for me. I need the connection that comes with naming and the intimacy of interaction with personalities. But I'd like to do that without thinking, "Ho hum, I lifted this god from a culture I couldn't possibly reflect or understand." This is why I have chosen to explore the possibility of actually just having my own.

I guess what I really want to know, from practicing Pagans, is where is the "why not" here? Is the concept of attaching yourself to personified divinity of your own making entirely new as a practice? If the Celts regionalized deities/spirits down to the tribe, home, doorway, etc., is it radical to think I can appeal to my own set of gods?

Particularly, and I guess this is important, because I have never felt real ownership over these personalities, their names, or any detail of their behavior. All these things came to me spontaneously and without knowing at all what I would write in my next breath. I told my mother as a child that "I don't name my characters. I hover my hands over the keys and wait for it to come letter by letter." This form of creating is only explicable/understandable to me by saying that these writings were given to me by my genius, my demon. If I'd intentionally sat down and planned a Pantheon, first off it would be a trainwreck addled with academic forethought, and secondly, no, I don't think I could have faith in something I carefully, craftily contrived.

I guess, if I were looking at this as "a demon attendant of Satan follows and inspires me" or "An angel from God inspires me and guides me" and I credited these explicitly external beings with writing up this deep Pantheon, I would feel as any prophet, and say of course I should follow what I have been told are the divine, by the divine. But I believe in the Animus, the demon that is internal and the Other of You. But I respect the level of insight nonetheless.

Take Corvus (the member) for example. I'm really interested in his descriptions of necromancy. The idea of death in the living, and levels of "death energy/essence" is something I connect to highly. But it is a concept I conceived independently, and this is how/maybe why I connect to it. The Spirit of Death, for me, is the only representation of Time that makes sense. As she is, everything decays. She is unstoppable, indescriminating, and always taking the past to bed in death. Everything is always dying: people, the Sun, moments past. So if I pause for a minute to feel this effect of "death energy," I feel her, the Spirit of Death, and her influence in reality is palpable to me, but I cannot feel it another way without forcing myself to.

So you see, I think I do see divinity this way, and all natural forces. But it's not established religion. It's just how I've related to the world for the majority of my life.

Moving on from that, you'll have to excuse me for not understanding the purification idea. Is that because you are mistaking my demon for something I think is evil, or for another purpose?

I hope my sincerity is obvious. I am totally earnest in wanting to know if this seems viable to other, more wise practitioners. I really appreciate any and all feedback. Also, sorry for making an example of you, Corvus, but it applied so well for me.

Comment

Purification is a way of just preparing oneself in order to approach the Divine. Historically most purification ceremonies are pretty much a way of making oneself presentable to the Divine. You see this in Ancient Egypt, Shinto, Wicca, Lakota beliefs, and many more. Since I worship the gods of Ancient Egypt I'm going to cite that as an example of what I mean. Their purification consisted of natron (a salt compound used much like soap is today), water, and--depending on if you are a priest or not--perfuming and annointing. This was all to make oneself separated from everyday life and enter the house of the god.

My reason for saying I'm not sure you really view the Divine in the way you think you do is because of how you manipulate these beings in your writing. At the very core of magic it's just energy and intent. Also, you talk about your experiences with that experience as feelings rather than feelings of (insert deity here). Like I said you're free to make up your own pantheon (and we have a thread somewhere discussing such practices) but I think if you played with the idea of just looking at certain energies you'd be a bit surprised.

As an example I'm going to give you a writing assignment. I want you to write:
        a) 150 words about how you experience the word "ki"(don't worry about what the word means);
        b) then I want you to write 150 words about part a.
        my etsy store
        My blog

to descend."

Comment

A) "Ki." A force both inherent and separate to all of life's workings. An internal phenomenon becoming external through use, intention, manipulation, or mere awareness. A force that pulls, pushes, grounds, uplifts, creates, and destroys. One of nature's grandest and most mysterious components. That which produces the sense of the soul, particularly the idea of the eternal soul, and an individual's inextricable connection to all other pieces of reality. An amorphous characterization of multiple phenomenon found in hard and soft sciences, such as a conscience, the Law of Transference, and the notable results of willpower/positive thinking. Also, possibly a contributor in placebo effect: ritualistic medical attention being as effective as Lithium in tests reveals a bit of the power behind the intention to heal and the idea of being healed. Tangentially, ki could be used to describe the awesome power of the brain to create change through belief alone, such as someone being able to lose or gain weight just by convincing themselves it's happening and people having severely allergic reactions to something they never came into contact with, just because they expected to react.

B) The power of thought and intention as magic. The eternal self as a piece of the divine. The mind as a god seated within mortals. Something constantly recycled through the Universe, as energy, bestowing ancient power unto fertile, new life. The collective unconscious and the personal unconscious. The harbinger of passionate inspiration, divine intervention, karmic reaction, homeostasis and entropy. Loki's game; the dynamic unknown, the spontaneous, the wild, and the fluid. The Mother and the Home. The Journey and the Destination. "Urge and urge and urge, always the procreant urge of the world."

They're not exactly 150 words. But this is what I got. I wholly appreciate the assignment. My mother would probably enjoy reading this. She is a devoted Reiki master.

---------- Post added at 12:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

I have to throw this in for B, because I am just so eternally grateful. That which delivered one of my most special companions, my dog, safely into my arms forever.

Comment

Well, I do have a Creative Writing degree and I am a Reiki master too...

That said, do you notice the difference in your writing between the two? Which one feels more affective to you?
            my etsy store
            My blog

to descend."

Comment

Most decidedly the latter. The ways I have paid homage to this force in the past is very odd, sometimes only halfway fulfilling. I really need to figure out how to willfully disintegrate my ego in ritual and to effectively feed my hunger for intimate interaction with this permeating power. Perhaps this is what I should be focusing on, rather than creating relationship through personification. Or perhaps the personification can be literal, real, and simple, such as choosing a tree to pay tribute to as representing that life force. There are certainly trees, one in particular, that I connect inexorably to the divine because of experiences I've had with them.

Comment

BINGO! That's what I was trying to illustrate
                my etsy store
                My blog

to descend."

Comment

*Rings bell of enlightenment*

Okay... I realize there is literature, and I am seeking and devouring such literature as often and broadly as possible, but in an effort to find help without wading through another 3,000 resources...

Do you have any suggestions for beginning spellcrafting when approaching the divine as such a pervasive and disembodied yet holistically present entity? Or, just meditate a lot and open my mind and stop thinking about manipulating something I've yet to access at the depth I seem to need or yearn for?

Comment

The latter is what I feel would work for you.
                    my etsy store
                    My blog

to descend."

Comment

Thanks for your diligent support and guidance, Caelia.

Comment

You're welcome
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
                        X