WHO: Antibiotic overuse so prevalent scraped knee could be deadly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHO: Antibiotic overuse so prevalent scraped knee could be deadly

This is an issue that has been building for a long time,the over use of Antibiotic's and the resistance to them by Bacterium. I think perhaps stem cells might be our only path to use against the resistant strains.
    What do you think about this trend?

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: WHO: Antibiotic overuse so prevalent scraped knee could be deadly

I think this is a HUGE and important issue.

I see people on forums who talk about taking antibiotics for colds. I also had a friend who lived part time here and in the US whose doctor would prescribe them at request for colds and she thought she needed them to cure a cold (totally ineffective). What kind of doctor does this? I know that both here and back home in Canada, they wont. If you go to the doc with a cold, they'll tell you to get some rest and take some Nyquil (Canada) or drink tea (Germany) because a cold is a virus.

Use of antibiotics is also banned in the EU for livestock and very limited in Canada, for the same reason.

North Americans also use WAYYYYYYYYYYYY too many disinfectant products for everyday purposes, which not only kills good bacteria but also helps further this problem. You don't see Europeans using antibacterial everything (hand gel, wipes, sprays, etc) except in places like hospitals, and people aren't any sicker over here.

Comment

I read somewhere(can't remember the source) that we have beneficial bacteria on our skin that protects us,and the antibiotic soaps can also kill these good germs,and leave us open even more to infection.

here is something about our good germs.

"As an adult human, you have three to four pounds of beneficial bacteria and yeast living within your intestines. These microbes compete for nutrients from the food you eat. Usually, the strength in numbers beneficial bacteria enjoy both keeps the ever-present yeasts in check and causes them to produce nutrients such as the B vitamins."

This is a bit more on the scientific side.

Last edited by anunitu; 18 Mar 2012, 07:54.
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Yep it's totally true.

You also have to be cautious with taking antibiotics because there is also good bacteria inside your body (especially in your digestive tract. You should only take antibiotics when you have an actual, stubborn bacterial infection, because antibiotics also kill the good bacteria. You can even slow your healing process this way, because the good bacteria strengthen your immune system. So, if you take antibiotics when you don't have a bacterial infection, all you're doing is killing the good stuff in your body when there isn't anything harmful there at all!

It's shocking how many people don't even know the difference between a virus and bacteria, and that antibiotics only kill bacteria.

PS here are a few sources on some of the stuff I've been saying!
        Antibiotics are everywhere -- from the dry cleaners to your soap dispenser -- killing off the bacteria that threaten to make you sick. But a sterile, antiseptic world might do more harm than good, and the onslaught of antibiotics might undermine their very purpose.

A new study shows that the DNA of so-called "good bacteria" that normally live in the intestines may help defend the body against infection.
        Last edited by DanieMarie; 18 Mar 2012, 08:31.

Comment

One of the things I learned in Microbiology is that natural microorganisms on and in our body are actually part of the immune system, because they take up space and keep other bacteria or fungi from moving in- in other words they keep the habitat occupied.

Here in the US we are pretty free and easy with antibiotics, and we pump them into all of our livestock so that we can raise them in conditions that would normally have them all dying of disease. I've heard that banning of antibiotic abuse in livestock lead to a drop in antibiotic resistant bacteria in other countries, so our course of action should be clear... but as always in this country, it's never that simple.

One neat idea that has taken hold in Europe is the use of bacteriophage- viruses that infect bacteria. By spraying them on certain things, you can actually kill the bacteria with viruses!
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

It's kind of funny - people around me always seem to find these doctors who hand out antibiotics & pain-killers like candy. Articles & the news always complain about over-prescribing doctors here in the US. Mine just argue with me.

When I had my hysterectomy, I was given Ciprofloxacin. On the first day, I had a reaction to it & when I called the doc, he told me unless the lapro sites looked/felt infected, I should be fine. I recovered the rest of the way without infection or antibiotics. When I had my knee surgery, I wasn't given any antibiotics. The only time I've been given antibiotics as an adult has been for sinus infections (not colds, flus, whatever), a kidney infection, a case of actual strep throat and a case of pneumonia. Of course, I'm not the kind of person who would go to a doctor for every little thing. The last sinus infection I got I dicked around for so long before even making an appointment that it cleared up on its own.

Where exactly are these over-prescribing docs and why can't I ever hit the jackpot?
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I'm currently on antibiotics right now. I have what seems to be a common cold. But that's not what they are for. It's for the infection in my throat. I'm used to taking an antibiotic where you consume like 4 pills a day for like 2 weeks. This time it was so strong I was given 6 pills. 2 on the first day and then one daily for an additional 4 days. I feel my kidneys are in pain mode. I'm trying to really drink up lots of water. I feel like I'm on some steroid cycle.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                It's kind of funny - people around me always seem to find these doctors who hand out antibiotics & pain-killers like candy. Articles & the news always complain about over-prescribing doctors here in the US. Mine just argue with me.

When I had my hysterectomy, I was given Ciprofloxacin. On the first day, I had a reaction to it & when I called the doc, he told me unless the lapro sites looked/felt infected, I should be fine. I recovered the rest of the way without infection or antibiotics. When I had my knee surgery, I wasn't given any antibiotics. The only time I've been given antibiotics as an adult has been for sinus infections (not colds, flus, whatever), a kidney infection, a case of actual strep throat and a case of pneumonia. Of course, I'm not the kind of person who would go to a doctor for every little thing. The last sinus infection I got I dicked around for so long before even making an appointment that it cleared up on its own.

Where exactly are these over-prescribing docs and why can't I ever hit the jackpot?
                Sounds like you have an awesome doctor! You don't want to be taking antibiotics when you don't really need them.

Comment

In my part of the world Doctors will avoid prescribing anti-biotics if at all possible. Bloody annoying to have to suffer and then be told that Anti-biotics are becoming less effective because someone else is getting them....
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    In my part of the world Doctors will avoid prescribing anti-biotics if at all possible. Bloody annoying to have to suffer and then be told that Anti-biotics are becoming less effective because someone else is getting them....
                    I know, right? It's even worse being treated like some pill-popping pain med junkie because everyone else abuses the privilege!
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

See, the only time I'm ever prescribed is with painkillers. I'm usually given a crazy high dosage of antibiotics, but it's only for bacterial infections and the fact I have a crummy immune system. I'm with perz where are these doctors that keep over prescribing? The one who over prescribed the painkillers was a dentist, so I guess we can start looking there?
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                      surrounded by plush, downy things,
                      ill prepared, but willing,
                      to descend."

Comment

Working...
                      X