Researchers find new, hidden layer of genetic code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researchers find new, hidden layer of genetic code

This is very interesting,might lead to some serious knowledge.

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Re: Researchers find new, hidden layer of genetic code

I could just be reading the article wrong...but...this doesn't really sound like anything all that new, having taken several genetics and developmental biology classes. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what they are talking about, but scientists have known for quite some time that the redundant areas (as well as the nonsense ones) of the genome actually have a myriad of purposes (and in some cases, what some of those purposes are).
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Sounds a little old hat to me too Thal. I'm wondering if this is another case of journalists not understanding what they've read before trying to put it into their own words? Maybe there was something amazing uncovered but this article missed the point. I've read some funny articles in the past, like one claiming that the HIV virus is blue! New images had been released but the journalist didn't grasp the concept of dying cells to make them show up better on images. I could mention others but my brain is characteristically sluggish this evening (not even out of bed yet!).
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I had not heard of this before,so why I posted it.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I hadn't heard of this either. If it helps speed up the process of making biofuels I'd be very interested in reading more about it, but genetics is waaay over my head.

Comment

I hadn't heard it either...cool stuff!
            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
              I had not heard of this before,so why I posted it.
              I didn't mean anything bad by it...I think Jembru is likely right, there is a big disconnect between how (and what) science is reported and how (and what) scientists are actually doing.

I'm not sure who might remember this, but a while back there was a news report of a "NASA report" on hypothetical alien invasion scenarios (I blogged about it and I think it was even a thread here, which is where I got the idea to blog about it). It went just a wee bit viral...but the story was totally bogus. It was *not* a "NASA report", it was a paper written by a couple of post-docs during their free time, one of whom happened to be working at NASA, in a somewhat obscure and off-beat journal, that got picked up and misreported by The Guardian and then other news outlets played telephone with the story.

The problem is (and I was listening to a piece on...maybe NPR, but maybe something on TV...but it could be something I was reading) that most scientists just don't know how to represent their work to the public (oh yeah! It was a documentary on Netflix--Flock of Dodos, which was on the whole intelligent design thing) in a way that is meaningful and that *people* (The Public) groks. The other problem, as I asserted in my blog post is that journalists that report on science often know diddly-squat about it. And the third and fourth problems are that the public in general is increasingly less scientifically aware and science is increasingly technical and specialized, which are a sort of compounding issue--as science becomes more technical and specialized, scientific literacy gets even worse. All those things together pretty much marginalize the usefulness of new information to the public.

Its a vicious cycle, and in the end, the right hand ends up not knowing (and more often not trusting when they do know) what the left hand is doing, and the left hand ends up with some sort of elitism, and so does the right (but of a different sort).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

That I grok (stranger in a strange land) I do try and keep up with science,but there is so much to follow,and sadly the internet can not always be trusted to be accurate.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

That does sound familiar. The article does seem to exaggerate, because there are many, many such layers to genetics. For instance, tandem repeats of the same sequence can cause all sorts of unique traits in canines.
                  If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X