Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The voices in our heads might be friendly

Well looky here!

It turns out that those of us who hear the voices in our heads may not be as whacked out as we've been made out to be.

According to this article from Psychology Today, only one out of three "voice hearers" require psychiatric help. The other two don't have a problem with them, and may even find them beneficial.

If anybody is interested, here's a Wikki article with some additional information.

LMAO - it turns out that we even have our own movement...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: The voices in our heads might be friendly

The voices in my head are always friendly...

to me.

The rest of you, I make no promises. Palpatine is a touch amoral and Inquisitors of the Order Malleus aren't exactly known for their loving, tolerant nature.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

LOL - yes, well, The Lord Supreme High Commander of the Universe and of True Reality can get into a snit on occasion as well.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have a question,and though it doesn't concern the voices thing,it is something I want to know. How do you make a word become a link,as the word wikki in this post. I have searched in the help,but have found nothing to answer this question.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          I have a question,and though it doesn't concern the voices thing,it is something I want to know. How do you make a word become a link,as the word wikki in this post. I have searched in the help,but have found nothing to answer this question.
          Select the words you want to be the link, then hit the link button. Very easy.

At least, that's what the voice is saying...

Comment

Thank you Corbin,very helpful.

Just testing funny

It worked,thanks again Corbin.
            Last edited by anunitu; 12 Apr 2012, 07:49.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

That made me smile. Thanks for posting this. When I had my breakdown at uni (the one in which I believed I was Gollum), I had something like 3 sessions with a therapist (it was meant to be more, but I have a habit of thinking a can fix things on my own as soon as I feel even a little better). I expected her to freak out when I spoke about the voices, my imaginary friends and the dreamworld I spent over an hour a day in! She advised that I needed to create a stronger boundary between 'this world' and 'that world', because I'd clearly lost sight of what was real and imagined, but otherwise, she told me I was very lucky to have the gift of imagination and that I should always nurture it. That was 9 years ago, so I guess some professionals have considered the voices positive for a while now!
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I go off into my own little world from time to time,but I do know where reality is. its that place where real dangers can come along,and you have to always be aware of your situation. My away place has none of those problems,and I think it is good to have a secret place of peace to go to sometimes. Dreams are kinda a natural one,but having your own controlled place is even better.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I've always thought that the voices people hear are an external thing than an internal problem. Spirit guides, angels, demons, whatever you want to call them
                  Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                    I've always thought that the voices people hear are an external thing than an internal problem. Spirit guides, angels, demons, whatever you want to call them
                    That seems to be one of the points that this "movement" is making - interpreting the "voices" as symptoms of mental illness is a cultural issue. Other cultures don't seem to have a big problem with them because they are integrated into the surrounding culture.

Comment

One in three doesn't seem like great odds, does it? It's like, if you're in a group of three people who hear voices, and two of them seem fine, it's probably you that's actually crazy.

The thing about a traumatic event triggering the voices, that's what's interesting to me. I have always heard voices, since I was little, and since I was in an occult-influenced home, it seemed perfectly normal. It was ghosts, spirits, guides, fetches, whatever. I had support, though - my sisters & parents all heard voices, and I was taught how to filter out more negative voices.

The ghostly voices were usually helpful and protective. But when I got hit by a car and died and came back - that's when the voices changed. They were more likely to encourage me to engage in self-destructive actions. I had also lost my support system - my mother was dead, my family was split up, and I was living with an abusive relative. I couldn't talk to anyone about the voices any more. Even now, when I go through therapy binges, I don't talk about the voices because I don't want to end up on anti-psychotic drugs. If it's true that it's more normal to hear various voices, the next time I go to a therapist, I may bring it up. Is it weird to feel that I'd hate to lose the ability to hear the other voices? They have given me some insights and help, right along w/the ones who make more, uh, interesting suggestions.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                        One in three doesn't seem like great odds, does it? It's like, if you're in a group of three people who hear voices, and two of them seem fine, it's probably you that's actually crazy.
                        Why do I never think like this? It's so true ^^ Considering your typical pub moot is jammed full of people who hear voices... oh it explains so much!
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                          Why do I never think like this? It's so true ^^ Considering your typical pub moot is jammed full of people who hear voices... oh it explains so much!
                          I'm not from Vegas, so I'm likely wrong, but isn't that 2:1 odds in favor of sane?

I'd bet on those odds in my own case...

... but maybe not for a babysitter.

Comment

I'm insane so does that leave two other people on thread sane...
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              I'm insane so does that leave two other people on thread sane...
                              See, I wasn't sure which side of the line I was on, but you have reassured me.

Comment

Working...
                              X