Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 165

Thread: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

  1. #151
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,963
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Rider-Waite Tarot Deck Is 110 Years Old

    Hey everybody. I don't know if anyone noticed but the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck is 110 years old. I was released in 1909 and it's been a very popular tarot deck. So just wanted to let you know that information.

  2. #152

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    How does Tarot work, exactly? Why does it work? How much of it is the cards, and how much of it is the person using the cards? I heard that in ancient times, regular old playing cards were used for divinatory purposes; the more artistic Tarot decks are a more modern invention if I understand correctly. I know extremely little about Tarot, but it intrigues me, and I would like to learn more about it, but I'm entirely unsure of where to even begin researching the subject; how is one supposed to know if the sources they're learning from are legitimate? Hope to hear from any Tarot experts, and thank you very much for your time.

    PS: My apologies if someone already asked these questions before in this thread; I didn't read all of the last fifteen pages. Full disclosure haha.

    --Sollomyn
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019 at 10:37.

  3. #153
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,963
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    How does Tarot work, exactly? Why does it work? How much of it is the cards, and how much of it is the person using the cards? I heard that in ancient times, regular old playing cards were used for divinatory purposes; the more artistic Tarot decks are a more modern invention if I understand correctly. I know extremely little about Tarot, but it intrigues me, and I would like to learn more about it, but I'm entirely unsure of where to even begin researching the subject; how is one supposed to know if the sources they're learning from are legitimate? Hope to hear from any Tarot experts, and thank you very much for your time.

    PS: My apologies if someone already asked these questions before in this thread; I didn't read all of the last fifteen pages. Full disclosure haha.

    --Sollomyn
    If you want to learn tarot there are so many tarot books and websites to choose from.

  4. #154

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    there are so many tarot books and websites to choose from.
    That is precisely my dilemma.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019 at 18:47.

  5. #155
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,963
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    That is precisely my dilemma.
    Well, there a tarot website called Biddy Tarot. It's very well detailed and gives you all you need to know about tarot.

  6. #156

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, there a tarot website called Biddy Tarot. It's very well detailed and gives you all you need to know about tarot.
    I'm more into ancient manuscripts and forgotten grimoires; websites can be so hard for me to trust, especially when they seem like they're trying to sell me something. I'd rather buy something much older and closer to the source of it all; learn the old ways from the old peoples themselves.

  7. #157
    Bronze Member Bartmanhomer's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,963
    Religion
    Christian
    Location
    New York, NY USA

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollomyn View Post
    I'm more into ancient manuscripts and forgotten grimoires; websites can be so hard for me to trust, especially when they seem like they're trying to sell me something. I'd rather buy something much older and closer to the source of it all; learn the old ways from the old peoples themselves.
    Well, I'm sure there's a website for that. Is that what you're looking for. All you have to do is Google it.

  8. #158

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, I'm sure there's a website for that. Is that what you're looking for. All you have to do is Google it.
    I'm sure there is, too. No; I'm not looking for a site like that. I'm looking for an adept individual in the art of tarotology and cartomancy who can help point out the legitimate source material, from the material which is made-up, mutilated, new-age takes on ancient art forms which have strayed far and away from their original roots. I have been googling it; google seems to only be providing 20th or 21st century resources; I'm looking for something closer to the 14th or 15th century, preferably older, but just a preliminary search seems to reveal tarotology didn't exist before that time; it probably did, and was just a tradition that got passed down from one family member to another; back then it might have been more commonly referred to as cartomancy.

    For now, this work from the year 1909 seems to be my best bet: https://archive.org/details/manualof...0gran/page/n14
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019 at 20:06.

  9. #159
    bibliophibian volcaniclastic's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,038
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Location
    Canada
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    I doubt any of us can provide that. If you'll read through this thread, you'll note most of us learned through websites, modern knowledge, and intuition.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

    Mostly art.

  10. #160

    Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by volcaniclastic View Post
    I doubt any of us can provide that. If you'll read through this thread, you'll note most of us learned through websites, modern knowledge, and intuition.
    Indeed; I started seeing that around page five or so.

    I found some ancient grimoires for sale on Amazon, but they're thousands of dollars and extremely delicate; thinking those are mostly for historians to look at, but a fellow magick worker would also be highly interested in examining those manuscripts. Not sure if there's anything in them on cartomancy, but they'd be interesting to read nonetheless.
    Last edited by Sollomyn; 20 Mar 2019 at 08:25.

Similar Threads

  1. the Reincarnation Discussion
    By Nightingale in forum Religion and Spirituality Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02 Sep 2015, 12:31
  2. Which witch is which? (a discussion)
    By Bjorn in forum Pagan Traditions & Discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 17 Dec 2013, 04:45
  3. First chat discussion?
    By volcaniclastic in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16 Sep 2013, 20:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •