This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rider-Waite Tarot Deck Is 110 Years Old

Hey everybody. I don't know if anyone noticed but the Rider-Waite Tarot Deck is 110 years old. I was released in 1909 and it's been a very popular tarot deck. So just wanted to let you know that information.

Comment

Re: Tarot Q&A and Discussion

How does Tarot work, exactly? Why does it work? How much of it is the cards, and how much of it is the person using the cards? I heard that in ancient times, regular old playing cards were used for divinatory purposes; the more artistic Tarot decks are a more modern invention if I understand correctly. I know extremely little about Tarot, but it intrigues me, and I would like to learn more about it, but I'm entirely unsure of where to even begin researching the subject; how is one supposed to know if the sources they're learning from are legitimate? Hope to hear from any Tarot experts, and thank you very much for your time. :^^:

PS: My apologies if someone already asked these questions before in this thread; I didn't read all of the last fifteen pages. Full disclosure haha.

--Sollomyn
      Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019, 10:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Sollomyn View Post
        How does Tarot work, exactly? Why does it work? How much of it is the cards, and how much of it is the person using the cards? I heard that in ancient times, regular old playing cards were used for divinatory purposes; the more artistic Tarot decks are a more modern invention if I understand correctly. I know extremely little about Tarot, but it intrigues me, and I would like to learn more about it, but I'm entirely unsure of where to even begin researching the subject; how is one supposed to know if the sources they're learning from are legitimate? Hope to hear from any Tarot experts, and thank you very much for your time. :^^:

PS: My apologies if someone already asked these questions before in this thread; I didn't read all of the last fifteen pages. Full disclosure haha.

--Sollomyn
        If you want to learn tarot there are so many tarot books and websites to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
          there are so many tarot books and websites to choose from.
          That is precisely my dilemma. :XD laugh:
          Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019, 18:47.

Comment

That is precisely my dilemma. :XD laugh:
            Well, there a tarot website called Biddy Tarot. It's very well detailed and gives you all you need to know about tarot.

Comment

Well, there a tarot website called Biddy Tarot. It's very well detailed and gives you all you need to know about tarot.
              I'm more into ancient manuscripts and forgotten grimoires; websites can be so hard for me to trust, especially when they seem like they're trying to sell me something. I'd rather buy something much older and closer to the source of it all; learn the old ways from the old peoples themselves.

Comment

I'm more into ancient manuscripts and forgotten grimoires; websites can be so hard for me to trust, especially when they seem like they're trying to sell me something. I'd rather buy something much older and closer to the source of it all; learn the old ways from the old peoples themselves.
                Well, I'm sure there's a website for that. Is that what you're looking for. All you have to do is Google it.

Comment

Well, I'm sure there's a website for that. Is that what you're looking for. All you have to do is Google it.
                  I'm sure there is, too. No; I'm not looking for a site like that. I'm looking for an adept individual in the art of tarotology and cartomancy who can help point out the legitimate source material, from the material which is made-up, mutilated, new-age takes on ancient art forms which have strayed far and away from their original roots. I have been googling it; google seems to only be providing 20th or 21st century resources; I'm looking for something closer to the 14th or 15th century, preferably older, but just a preliminary search seems to reveal tarotology didn't exist before that time; it probably did, and was just a tradition that got passed down from one family member to another; back then it might have been more commonly referred to as cartomancy.

For now, this work from the year 1909 seems to be my best bet: https://archive.org/details/manualof...0gran/page/n14
                  Last edited by Sollomyn; 19 Mar 2019, 20:06.

Comment

I doubt any of us can provide that. If you'll read through this thread, you'll note most of us learned through websites, modern knowledge, and intuition.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      I doubt any of us can provide that. If you'll read through this thread, you'll note most of us learned through websites, modern knowledge, and intuition.
                      Indeed; I started seeing that around page five or so.

I found some ancient grimoires for sale on Amazon, but they're thousands of dollars and extremely delicate; thinking those are mostly for historians to look at, but a fellow magick worker would also be highly interested in examining those manuscripts. Not sure if there's anything in them on cartomancy, but they'd be interesting to read nonetheless.
                      Last edited by Sollomyn; 20 Mar 2019, 08:25.

Comment

Is there such thing as a tarot witch? You know a tarot reader that cast spells using tarot cards.

Comment

Is there such thing as a tarot witch? You know a tarot reader that cast spells using tarot cards.
                          I've used tarot cards to represent specific intentions during spellwork, so yeah, definitely.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Who's your favourite Tarot court card?

Comment

For me, my favorite tarot card is Death. It represents change and I just love the different representations on each card set that I have. They are very beautiful.
                              Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
                                For me, my favorite tarot card is Death. It represents change and I just love the different representations on each card set that I have. They are very beautiful.
                                My favourite tarot court card is the Queen of Cups.

Comment

Working...
                                X