This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: About Tarot...?

just on the general topic-- for me, I find that I might be drawn to the images on a deck but find the deck may not "speak" to me when I'm doing readings.

I feel a relationship, of sorts, to different decks, but I won't know what this is, if any, until I do readings with it.

Comment

Re: Tarot Card Question

you could probably choose to view all aspects of divination as psychosomatic anyway, so why not go with your intuition on this one?

I don't personally believe in any particular "essence" embodied within the physical decks themselves, although I once did. Therefore, I don't personally believe that a deck can be contaminated (that's probably because I'm too much an athiest in my old age to believe in such things anymore). But I do find that different decks speak different languages, so to speak, and might tell you vastly different things about the same question. I think this has a lot to do with the images and at least partly to do with the artist/creator. As I change and grow (or decline :-\) as a person, the things that speak to me change also.

Comment

Re: Learning Tarot, Looking for Sources

Geeze. There is so much written and hallucinated about the Tarot, its hard to know where to begin.

I think the general advice to not rely too much on "canned" meanings is good advice, yet think it is also helpful to have an understanding of specific symbols, allegory and their history, but without being too tied down by it.

I used to keep a tarot diary, and that was very very helpful for me in developing a deeper understanding of specific cards.

Also, there are two basic traditions in interpretation of traditional tarot iconography. With the Marseilles, there is the pre-occultist tradition. And then there is the occult tradition, best embodied by rider-waite. These two traditions have very divergent systems of interpretation. Most modern decks derive to some degree to the occult tradition, but some are idiosyncratic or syncretic.

If you don't know the different traditions, then different sources can be very confusing. Just as a for instance . . . the hermit holding a lantern can mean something very different than the god of time holding an hourglass.

Anyway, the Aeclectic tarot site mentioned above is quite good and comprehensive. I also highly recommend Mary Greer's blog: Mary K. Greer's Tarot Blog She covers topics from history to reading and everything in between. Very smart, that one.

Comment

Thanks for the blog link! Added it to my Google Reader.

Comment

Any particular deck you had in mind? That would probably narrow down the search.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

This is my tarot deck that I have no skill with and no use for. I would be willing to send it to who ever wants it. Just send me a PM and I will mail it to you.

(sorry about the off-topicness)

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Caelia link=topic=493.msg18169#msg18169 date=1290998105]
                Any particular deck you had in mind? That would probably narrow down the search.
                [/quote]

Me? If you mean the ones I'm currently working with, I listed them above (Classic Rider-Waite and Pagan Tarot), and those are the two I'll probably stay with.

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=493.msg7227#msg7227 date=1288185991]
                  I use different types of divination fairly often but the thing with which I don't feel comfortable yet with the cards is process of laying them out. For instance, I mostly use runes and bones and other things which usually involve throwing and analyzing. With the cards, I'm never sure of which spread to use, how (or whether) to interpret different positions, and that kind of thing.
                  [/quote]

I used to do these long, detailed spreads involving half a pack of cards (or more), but I like the shorter, simpler ones. You can always deal out more cards to clarify another card if it's too vague or doesn't seem to be indicating the right solution.

I usually do layouts like 'Past/Present/Future' or ones based on the elements/directions. I try to do layouts that fit with the question, too, like a 'Idea or Goal/Work Needed/Help Needed/Possible Problems/Unexpected Windfalls/Outcome' for a business plan, or a 'Pros & Cons' for difficult decisions.

You don't even have to assign specific things to cards in a layout - you could throw down a few & view them as one story. It just depends on what you're most comfy with.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I haven't had this happen with a tarot deck, but I've had it happen with lots of other magical items. Normally due to outgrowing them, or they themselves have been worn out magically speaking. At least thats what it seems like.

Comment

I agree that you should just put them away and get yourself a new deck. You may want them again one day, or you may not.
                      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Put it away. I have a Goddess deck and a Tarot deck and sometimes I want one and the other feels wrong, and sometimes the other.
                        "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I've had it with other forms of divination. Sometimes it just happens where you and your tools "outgrow" each other, for the lack of a better term.
                          my etsy store
                          My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                          surrounded by plush, downy things,
                          ill prepared, but willing,
                          to descend."

Comment

Thanks guys. I didn't toss them - I've just put them away for a while.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=886.msg15343#msg15343 date=1290285266]
                              Do you ever feel like you've "used up" your tarot cards? I've had the same deck since I was a teen, and it's always been good to me - but for the last few months, I've wanted nothing to do with it. It feels...dirty. Not like "Oh, I can do a cleansing and all will be well", but more like I don't ever want to touch it again.

Does this mean it's time for a new deck? Or is it totally psychosomatic and I'm just being crazy?
                              [/quote]

I had this same reaction to my Art Nouveau mini deck. It had served me well. It was travel size and utterly beautiful. Then one day I just stopped FEELING them. When I bought my new deck, I felt the rejuvenation that I knew I couldn't revive with my old deck. Of course, maybe it was because this deck was more ME and more serious than the other one, which seemed to be mostly for aesthetic appeal.

Its like friends growing apart. Just happens! Get yerself a new deck after a bit of looking around.
                              No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I have my own book regarding my particular deck, and I love it, but I feel like sometimes I could use more information on the Minor Arcana.

So when I simply cannot get it, I go here http://www.ata-tarot.com/resource/cards/. I think this is the best resource I've ever stumbled across.
                                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Working...
                                X