This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Learning Tarot, Looking for Sources

I agree with you on that. I have the Witch's Tarot that Ellen Dugan brought out and I'm sort of getting the meanings of the cards. But it's taking a lot of practice and focus.

Comment

Re: Tarot Q&A

A tarot reader once taught me this technique for getting to know your deck. It takes months but it is a journey of personal enlightenment as well as tarot familiarity.

Starting with the first card of major arcana in your deck (obviously the Fool) and working towards the last card (to be done two nights consecutively taking the 7th day in a week for a rest), 30 minutes before you go to bed, get yourself into a meditative receptive state and study the card. Pay attention to the images. What do they make you think of? What does this card seem to be saying to you? Go to bed. When you wake up, write down your dream(s). Then do some freewriting until you can write no more. Repeat this the next night and repeat this for every card until you've gone through the entire major arcana. This will help you become intimately acquainted with your cards.

Comment

Thanks feathered, I really like that idea. Happens that I got two new decks in the last two days.

I ordered the rabbit tarot online because I have rabbits and collect rabbit things, then today I had to hit the local pagan shop for some candles and they had sample decks of about 20 different decks...and started browsing...

I have 6 decks now. And I am still getting familiar with the Golden Tarot deck I got about this time last year.

I actually first got into tarot when I got into substance abuse recovery. My mind was mush and I needed something to focus on for meditation/journaling...and I decided to try tarot. A friend had told me years before about using them to meditate (contemplate is probably more accurate for what I was actually doing).

That helped me so much during that process and got me started understanding how the cards work etc and I've kept at it slow and steady ever since.

For the first few years I rarely got swords other than the nine of swords. But lately they are everywhere.

Comment

Has anybody got the IJJ deck? I am wanting to collect old-style Tarot decks and was wondering if anyone has used this particular deck. It's in the book I am currently reading about tarot and its design is apparently from the 16-17th century, so it caught my interest.
          sigpic

Comment

Maybe it's just me but has anyone else here heard Kenny Rogers The Gambler's chorus and thought "That makes me think of what to do with the information obtained from a tarot reading"? I am not joking at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
              Maybe it's just me but has anyone else here heard Kenny Rogers The Gambler's chorus and thought "That makes me think of what to do with the information obtained from a tarot reading"? I am not joking at all.
              Loooooooooooooool I will now haha
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Uh so here's a question that's probably a little weird. Does anyone ever feel like their deck has a gender (including feeling like your deck doesn't have a gender or flips between genders)?

Comment

Originally posted by miss_mc View Post
                  Uh so here's a question that's probably a little weird. Does anyone ever feel like their deck has a gender (including feeling like your deck doesn't have a gender or flips between genders)?
                  I've never really thought about it... it's possible. Maybe I'll check mine out next time I use them.
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

See, my deck definitely feels female. I don't know what, but I've been calling it "she/her" in my head and i honestly cringe when typing "it". I'm just hoping thats not weird. Then again people will call all sorts of things by gendered pronouns...

Comment

I originally used the standard Rider-Waite deck for quite some time when first starting to learn the Tarot. Unfortunately, these cards never really spoke to me, and I put my learning on hold for quite some time.

A few months back, I decided to really learn the Tarot, but to first find a deck that really spoke to me. I searched stores as well as online, and finally came to find the Shadowscapes Tarot, which is based on the Rider-Waite system. I feel much more connected to this deck, and find it easier to use my intuition to read the cards rather than always using my books (although when I'm feeling completely stumped, I do LOVE having the books handy). I also always make sure to journal about all of the information gained in my learning, and I always make note of my spreads, so I can look back on those days to see how my progression is.

Some of the books I've been rather attached to lately are:
                      Tarot: Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis
                      Tarot for Beginners: A Practical Guide to Reading the Cards by Barbara Moore

I've made note of the above mentioned books, but if there are any others that you wonderful folk like to use, please let me know! (my reading list is ages long, and I love adding to it)

Comment

Hello
                        I'm new to the forum, and also new to Tarot, at least having my own sets. I admittedly, have much to learn. Exploring Tarot is one of the main reasons I joined this site.

Comment

I have the Gilded Tarot deck, and I have for about a month and a half now. It's amazing! I really love doing readings for myself, and some for others. I'm still learning all the cards, I think I know the meanings of about a third of them so far, which I have really just picked up subconsciously from doing readings and using the book over and over. I do use the book, somethings I get an intuition, but not always. Not only are they useful and interesting, they are also just fun sometimes, and I love the mystery of putting the cards facedown.

Comment

Re: Learning Tarot, Looking for Sources

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            I received an email from an unregistered person whom saw the link to aeclectic.net and said this may also be a useful link to get Tarot Card meanings:
                            Did you know that the Tarot deck is over 500 years old? It is a divination system that uses a set of cards to gain insight and achieve greater control over issues involving relationships, opportunities, and life changes. As popular as it is today, the history of Tarot symbolism remains shrouded in mystery. Some Tarot
                            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                            Sneak Attack
                            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I've been wondering about something since I've been looking for a deck to get. Right now I have the small Lenormand & the Marseilles Tarot deck. I heard that Marseilles is kind of not so much for beginners but since I want to start somewhere & it's probably going to take a while until I find a deck that I want to buy next... I've been taking baby steps the last few days.

The writing on the deck is Russian and the book lays out the basic symbolism, some quotes (among others by Carl Jung) and mentions both the Marseilles and Rider-Waite cards. (Sort of in comparison) It said that the instructions could be used for a beginner & recommended to start getting to know the Major Arcanas first, & by taking a daily card and learning its symbolism, checking out how it plays out in your daily life and comparing the two.

Anywho! In the Druidcraft deck the Devil is Cernunnos, and the theory is that Christians demonised Cernunnoss, the Devil. Maybe I'll go check in the mean time what this card means in the Druidcraft deck and then things will clear up and this message will be unnecessary but - Surely there's a difference in perspective whether you view him as the (Christian) Devil or as Cernunnos? The first is an all evil booo and the other is 'the male aspect of the divine', playfulness, virility, and similar(I think)?

And when you're using a deck that says the card is the Devil, (or Cernunnos) do you have to stick with it or no?

Well, of course you don't 'have to' do anything but is it the way it's supposed to go

Ps - I guess it doesn't make MUCH difference because the Christian Devil hasn't had TOO much of a negative meaning to me either. I mean... In a play I studied at school, the Devil seduces a woman with the offer to teach her the 7 'sciences - filosofia geometria etc. I mean yes, in exchange for her soul but... I dunno. He didn't come off as doing any more harm than giving a gal some knowledge, independance and (maaaybe a little wicked but meh) freedom.

- - - Updated - - -

Well... and directing her towards 'eternal damnation' by them standards but. Still.

Also - the book says the card (devil?)shows only four fingers. The fifth 'big finger' that symbolizes the power of the will is missing. I see five...and on both hands the thumbs?
                              Last edited by kazumi; 27 Jan 2015, 07:59.

Comment

How do you choose a Tarot deck?

I have used the Celtic Cross layout for myself a couple of times using an inspirational deck (not Tarot) I own http://www.mandalaeartheditions.com/.../dp/1601090315. I got very good results from both readings, even though they weren't Tarot cards.

I don't think I would do readings very often, just when I am over-thinking and over-complicating a problem or am really lacking in foresight.

Are all Tarot decks the same? Meaning do they have the same characters and different representations for each character or are there Tarot decks that serve differently?

Comment

Working...
                                X