Celebrating Beltane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Celebrating Beltane

Hello everyone, I'm a bit new here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot. I'm looking for a bit of help, and this looked like a good place to start.

I'm looking for a good way to celebrate the upcoming Beltane. Normally I wouldn't have any problems coming up with a way to celebrate, but this year, my husband is stationed overseas. The tricky part lies in the fact that I'm not going to be alone either. I have a friend who promised me that I "won't have to spend another holiday alone" and is going to spend the night with me, and make sure we do something special.

We already plan on having a small fire in the fire pit I own (so that's one tradition) and we haven't decided if we're going to go out to eat, or just stay home and have a nice dinner. However the problem comes with the rather most prominent tradition that we obviously can't quite partake in. There's some parts of me that say it would be fine to just leave it at that, and be happy that I'm at least not going to have to be alone, but there's also a part of me that at least wants something else that we could do that would be a bit more special.

Any ideas would be really helpful. Anyone I've talked to already doesn't have any ideas that quite work, as they range towards the realm of asking my husband if he minds if I go ahead and celebrate in the more traditional way....A conversation I'd rather just avoid for kind of obvious reasons.

Many thanks in advance
    ~Yorin
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Re: Celebrating Beltane

I've always had a picnic on May 1st. Even if the weather was bad, we'd just stay at the covenstead and have a picnic indoors, or even put up a tent and sit outside in the rain! I've no idea if this tradition was unique to our coven or if it came from a book, but we'd typically make or bring red and white food for the picnic. Strawberries and cream were popular as were jam tarts, jammy dodgers and so on.. it was basically like high tea served outside.

We also observed the tradition of rinsing our faces with the morning dew. I dunno, something has kept us all looking a little younger than our chronological ages, so we're all too scared NOT to do it, even though we all agree there is not really anything magical about the first May dew.

Beltane was a sleep over for those who were single, and a 'meet back tomorrow' event for those who had a lover.

The sleep over girls would write poems or stories, play silly party games and have a girly pampering session.

We did what we called our 'May's eve rite' early in the evening before, but as some would leave, we didn't drink and feast as we usually would. Usually, we'd start the feasting and dancing in the afternoon the next day, or evening if people had work that day. Though this year, I'm having the picnic the day before, as we're traveling home on May 1st.

I once hosted the ritual and as I had no lawn or anything, we did the Maypole inside. It was a broom handle with ribbons nailed to the top. This was then stood in a large plant pot filled with potting soil. We then covered the surface of the pot with red and white carnations. An apple tree was later planted in that pot and it's still there at my mum's place today. It's currently in blossom.

Ah yes... Finally, I like to decorate everything with fake blossom (real blossom just wilts too quickly). This started AFTER I left the coven and was stolen from Japanese hanami celebrations. I was going to take my yukata to Ripon, but my boyfriend managed to plead with me enough not to.

Good luck with your plans!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Damn. I'm no help, here. My only plans, for this Beltane, is to try my damnedest to not kill anybody. Though I might do up another bonfire, since my stepson's birthday is May 2nd. But then again, I'm just a firebug/firebaby or wtf ever it's called, these days... I'm a pyro. I LOVE bonfires!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

We celebrate Beltane in a pretty secular old school May Day fashion...and we have small children, so extracurricular activities are exactly that. And we really don't equate Beltane with that seasonally anyhow (falls a bit earlier here, more of an ostara thing) ...so its not a problem in our house, lol. Last year, when the kids and I were staying at my moms, getting ready to move to where my husband was working, we made May Baskets for the neighbors and family friends, flower cupcakes and some other stuff. This year, we are going to the ritual at our UU congregation and possibly the local Beltane festival that weekend.

Why not see what is going on in your area? If there isn't a Pagan group or festival within driving distance, is there a local picnic (growing up, my town actually had a May Pole dance at the elementary school in conjunction with field day)...heck, even a farmers market? You could make a point to make a meal entirely from the market/local-owned shops/foraged foods or something (May Day has historically been associated as another Labor Day)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I second Thals advice. It was an annual Beltane bash at Thornborough henge that introduced me to my current Patron Goddess: Brigantia. My life has changed considerably since she entered my life. That's why I am heading to Thornborough henge this weekend. It was my boyfriend's idea, but I wish to visit her sacred site, thank her, and more formally accept her into my life. However, May bank holiday is't until the following Monday, so the pagans who organize the event have moved it to the Sunday AFTER Beltane. So I'll have the henge almost to myself (probably be some purists celebrating on the 'right' day), and unfortunately, my pagan friends, who I hardly ever see, won't be there until the following week. These events are definitely worth a visit though.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I wish there were events around me, but as I live around a lot of small towns that are overly christian/catholic, there's really not room for us to organize any events, minus within a few of ourselves from what I've found. Thanks for some ideas that my friend and I could do. I may have to modify them a little bit because I don't get out of classes til 7:30 at night, and we're both in them all day :/

I've been looking around online and I found a few good recipes for Beltaine stuff so I think we're probably gunna stay at my house and cook and see if there's any way we can incorporate the picnic idea that a lot of you've suggested.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas. Would anyone like me to post the recipes that I found?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
              Damn. I'm no help, here. My only plans, for this Beltane, is to try my damnedest to not kill anybody. Though I might do up another bonfire, since my stepson's birthday is May 2nd. But then again, I'm just a firebug/firebaby or wtf ever it's called, these days... I'm a pyro. I LOVE bonfires!
              Of topic, but I don't care :P My birthday is May the 2nd! I'll be 20! x
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                Thanks a bunch for the ideas. Would anyone like me to post the recipes that I found?
                heck yeah! we are always up for recipes around there...
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Fried Honeycakes

These cakes were left in the garden to please Faery visitors. If you plan to leave an offering to the Faery, double the recipe to keep some for your family. They're scrumptious.

1/2 cup sweet white wine
                  2 tablespoons sugar
                  1 egg
                  1 cup honey
                  2/3 cup flour
                  1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
                  1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
                  Oil for frying
                  1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat the wine & egg in a medium bowl. Combine the flour, cinnamon, salt & sugar in a small bowl. Stir into the egg mixture. Let stand 30 minutes. Combine the honey & nutmeg in a small bowl.

Heat 1/2-inch of the oil in a frying pan until hot, but not smoking. Drop the batter into the oil 1 tablespoon at a time; fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dip into the honey.

Yield: 1 1/2 Dozen.

Marigold Custard

2 cups milk
                  1 cup organic marigold petals
                  pinch salt
                  3 tablespoons sugar
                  1 vanilla pod
                  3 egg yolks slightly beaten
                  cinnamon & nutmeg according to taste
                  1/2 teaspoon rose water
                  whipped cream

Using a clean pestle and mortar (or a spoon will suffice) crush the marigold petals. Mix the salt, sugar and spices together. gently heat (do not boil!) the milk with the marigolds and the vanilla pod to let the flavours infuse.

Remove the vanilla pod and add the slightly beaten yolks and dry ingredients. Cook on low heat until it thickens. When the mixture coats the spoon, add rose water and cool.
                  Top with whipped cream, garnish with fresh marigold petals.
                  sigpic

Comment

Thanks for posting recipes. I'm going to try the first one for starters. It sound fairly easy for me since I'm a bit challenged when it comes to cooking.

Comment

I'll bet my kiddos would love the fried honey cakes!
                      sigpic

Comment

Glad you guys enjoyed the recipes. I have to make them early cause my dance teacher wants me to bring her some on Tuesday night, so I'll let you know how they go <3
                        sigpic

Comment

Yorin, those fried honeycakes sound excellent! I copied the recipe.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

[/hoping to not be interrupting the thread]

I'm in a bit of a pickle. Since, as I've said before, I'm new to all of this, this'll be my first time celebrating Beltane, and the first time, in fact, that I'll be celebrating a Pagan holiday of any sort (that I can now recognize as Pagan, that is). Reading this thread has given me ideas on how to celebrate it, however, I can't use them. Due to my own inattention, I'll be celebrating Beltane alone. I didn't realize that it was going to be so soon.

Except for my mom, my family doesn't know that I'm Pagan, so celebrating with them is out of the question. Planning something with my friends is pointless since it'd be so short-notice. What's more, there's no kind of hawthorn growing anywhere around here, and my parents haven't exactly given me the OK to use matches, let alone have candles in my room, so I can't do any sort of bonfire. And considering my family and friends aren't involved, a maypole isn't ideal anymore.

So does anyone have any ideas for this amateur Druidess? I don't want to miss out on this.

Comment

Doing anything that would celebrate life would be ideal in your situation. Fire was used as a blessing, so its a nice addition if you're able to have one, but I guess not necessarily all that "OMGMUSTHAVE".....If you can, as Beltane is a fertility holiday, maybe plant a flower or two nearby or at your house, thats one thing I used to do on my own. Like with my situation, since I can't really celebrate with my husband, our way or creating something is we're going out of our way to make something completely new cooking wise. So maybe try cooking something for yourself and maybe your family (you don't really have to tell them your reasonings behind it) or just creating something and giving back to whichever gods or goddesses you choose to pay patronage to.

Those would be my best bets from personal experience of celebrating alone and in a family that's not all that welcoming of alternate religious choices. Other choices would be just go spend sometime in any nature around you, like a park, or down by a river if you have one near you.

Best of luck Berry <3
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X