Thread: Tips for the Cold Season

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Tips for the Cold Season

Colds, Cough and Congestion

The common cold is an upper respiratory infection can be caused by over 200 different viruses and generally lasts 7-10 days. The only thing that will get rid of a cold is letting it run its course, thought there are options that may lessen the duration or severity of cold symptoms.

*Some studies suggest that Echinacea may reduce the severity and duration of colds if taken in large amounts at the onset of symptoms.
    *Try incorporating probiotics into your diet. Some studies indicate that live lactobacillus cultures have been linked to less respiratory infections, including some forms of the common cold in both adults and children.
    *Vitamins & minerals–both zinc and vitamin C have long been recommended for a cold. Studies indicate that individuals deficient in zinc and/or vitamin C are more prone to infections and supplements of these can reduce the number and severity of infections. Zinc, in lozenge form, may reduce the intensity of the symptoms associated with a cold, particularly a cough. Additionally nasal zinc gel (but not zinc nasal spray) and zinc lozenges seem to shorten the duration of a cold. Conversely, while a few studies have indicated that vitamin C, taken in large does at the onset of a cold may lessen the severity and shorten the duration of a cold, literature reviews of vitamin C studies indicate that it more than likely has little to no effect in preventing or treating infection….but then again, some studies do show that Vitamin C can help.
    *Eucalyptus, is an expectorant that is useful in treating both chest and sinus congestion. For chest congestion, in both adults and children, the topical application of Eucalyptus oil in a chest rub (either oil, or salve) can be of great benefit (as can steam inhalations). Eucalyptus leaf tea can also be taken, as the leaf is believed to have additional antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. To make an infusion from Eucalyptus leaf, take 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoonful per cup hot water and steep for 10 – 15 minutes. Drink up to 3 cups a day.

Chest Rub:
    20 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil
    15 drops of lavender essential oil
    10 drops of Camphor
    10 drops of Peppermint essential oil
    1/2 cup carrier oil

Mix together. Rub on chest for congestion. To make salve, add beeswax to melt until cooled mixture is at preferred consistency.

*Medicated lip balms such as Carmex or Blistex can be applied to the skin under the nose, as well as on, around and just inside the nostril to help relieve rawness from blowing the nose. Additionally, as most are medicated with menthol, eucalyptus or some combination, which is also useful as an inhalant.
    *Marshmallow, particularly the root, and Slippery elm are both effective mucilage agents and help to relieve sore throat and ease coughs, especially if they are dry and unproductive. Marshmallow root (and valerian root) is most effectively made as a maceration (cold water infusion). To prepare, pour 2 cups of cold water over 25 g (volume depends on consistency) of Marshmallow root and allow to sit, covered, overnight. To prepare Slippery Elm root, pour 2 cups boiling water over 4 grams (roughly 2 tablespoons) of powdered bark and then steeping 3 to 5 minutes. Both of these you can used as a gargle, throat rinse or “tea” up to 3 times a day.

Garlic-Ginger Syrup with Slippery Elm and Marshmallow Root

Fresh ginger root
    2 cloves garlic
    Marshmallow root (this recipe assumes a shredded consistency…by weight it is about 12 g)
    Powered Slippery elm bark
    2 c honey

Peel and finely slice 2-3 thumb sized chunks of ginger and 2 cloves of garlic. Cover with 2 cups honey and allow to “steep” overnight (you do not have to remove the garlic and ginger). Simultaneously, pour 1 cup of boiling water over 1 tablespoon powdered slippery elm bark. Allow to cool. Once cooled, pour this mixture over 2-3 tablespoons marshmallow root. Sit covered, overnight. Separate the mucilage and combine with the honey. Mix. Store in refrigerator. Take 1-2 tablespoon 3-4 times a day to help with cough.

Ginger and Chicken Noodle Soup

*you will need a pressure cooker*

pressure cook together the following (about 10 minutes once pressure has been met):

whole chicken
    2 cans chicken broth
    several cups water (enough to cover chicken)
    1-2 cups baby carrots
    1 cup celery, chopped
    1 yellow or vidalia onion coarsly chopped
    1 pinch ground black pepper

then, remove chicken and debone…put chicken chunks back in liquid and simmer…

sautee and add:

1/3 cup sliced fresh garlic
    1/3 cup fresh ginger root sliced
    optional…a pinch of curry

also add:

1-2 cups egg noodles (depends on amt of liquid you have)
    bring to boil til noodles done

salt or add soy sauce to taste…optional—add a drizzle of honey to the bowl when serving…adds a bit of sweet to the spicy and salty
    *Other herbs that are useful to combat colds and cold symptoms are licorice, peppermint (and other mint family members), garlic, and ginger.

*For more remedies, try http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/47/33.cfm

Sinus/Nasal Congestion

*Drink lots of water. This should help thin secretions and prevent dehydration.
    *Steam inhalation is your friend. Hot showers, tenting your head with a towel over a pan of steamy water, or a steam vaporizer (not a cool mist humidifier) are all easy ways to relieve sinus congestion.
    *Add eucalyptus and/or menthol based essential oils and lavender and/or rosemary essential oils to the steam inhalation reduce the symptoms of nasal congestion.
    *Irrigate your sinuses. A bulb syringe, neti pot, or one of these bottles. Use ¼ tsp salt and ¼ tsp baking soda or ¼ tsp salt for 8 oz of WARM distilled or filtered water.

*Saline mist, especially if you can’t stand the idea of irrigating your sinuses (plus it is great for the kiddos)–FAR better than a conventional nose spray, is a newer OTC product that can be found at drugstores…I’ve only ever seen it in the childrens/infant section, sold under a couple of different brands.
    *Try using these pressure points to relieve sinus congestion…
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    eclectic, leaning Dianic Wiccan (ask me what this DOESN'T mean about my views on transgendered women's rights!)

Re: Tips for the Cold Season

I often make a sage tea with lemon and honey (lovingly referred to as "my ooky tea" from the development days when its flavor was more... interesting) when I feel myself getting sick. Seems to sometimes ward off the cold on account of being made of antibacterial substances.

It's not herbal but it bears mentioning: diligent handwashing, covering your coughs, and resting at home if you feel under the weather go a long way!
    “If it’s a good idea and it gets you excited, try it, and if it bursts into flames, that’s going to be exciting too. People always ask, ‘What is your greatest failure?’ I always have the same answer — We’re working on it right now, it’s gonna be awesome!”- Jim Coudal

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Left-handed Path; LHP

in my experience, zinc and vitamin c don't do anything for a cold; yeah if you're deficient in them you're more likely to be infected, but raising the amount in your system won't do jack to help it or prevent it. it's all about having a general stable healthy diet and getting enough sleep in my opinion, but there's no fully preventing a cold. you're a biological creature, you're gonna get sick sometime. (in before the superhuman cases of people who've never been sick or slept in their entire life)

don't skimp out on the sleep. that's what kills it there. I got sick the day after I started work at a 24/7 isolated summer camp, and I was sick the entire time. I don't get sick often, but having to be active 16-17hours a day, not getting full rest, also not getting much vegetables(that's a different story) I was sick for literally 2 months. It was torture ;_;

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

[quote author=Hoho link=topic=55.msg1596#msg1596 date=1286876959]
    in my experience, zinc and vitamin c don't do anything for a cold; yeah if you're deficient in them you're more likely to be infected, but raising the amount in your system won't do jack to help it or prevent it.
    [/quote]

the fourm ate the rest of my post, lol...which I think might be fixed (whether or not it stays that way ??? )

There are clinical studies that do show that the proper use of zinc, in nasal gel form, at the earliest onset of a cold reduce the duration of the cold.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Oct 2009
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan

I do a similar chicken soup, but I also add fresh chili peppers when I have them (and dried ones when I don't). Chili has anti-inflammatory properties, plus the spice helps clear your sinuses!

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

For nausea: Cut up and slice a chunk of ginger root. Bring it to a boil in a pot of water, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Strain. Add honey if desired. I don't know about anyone else, but it typically takes me about 20oz. of this infusion before my nausea settles, but it works fantastic - and since I'm sensitive to Gravol, I think it's way better.

I also use Oil of Oregano regularly when I'm ill to boost my immune system.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Phrase

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=55.msg1661#msg1661 date=1286895356]
    I do a similar chicken soup, but I also add fresh chili peppers when I have them (and dried ones when I don't). Chili has anti-inflammatory properties, plus the spice helps clear your sinuses!
    [/quote]

When its for me, I add cayenne...when its for kids, I leave it out

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

I swear by elder flower tea at the onset of a cold. It smells and tastes like cat's urine (please.... don't ask me how I know :-[) but it really does the trick! You can get it as a tincture in teh UK which is much more palatable.

Mr Penry swears by copious amounts of whiskey. Even if it doesn't work, he feels happier about having a cold.... ???
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

Echinacea is usually more effective if you start using it about two weeks before your local cold/flu season starts to boost your immune system. If you start it at the onset of your symptoms, you've already got the cold or flu and drinking echinacea isn't going to do much of anything except up your immune response, which will make you more miserable (more sniffling/blowing/hacking/coughing, etc).

Echinacea also isn't meant for long-term therapeutic use. It's best to use in bursts of about 2 weeks before you know you might need it & then avoid it for about a month - like take it a couple of weeks before school starts, or before traveling, or the Yule/Christmas shopping season when you're going to be exposed to large amounts of people in poorly ventilated, overheated spaces that encourage the spread of bacteria and viruses.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    eclectic, leaning Dianic Wiccan (ask me what this DOESN'T mean about my views on transgendered women's rights!)

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=55.msg1666#msg1666 date=1286895576]
    For nausea: Cut up and slice a chunk of ginger root. Bring it to a boil in a pot of water, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Strain. Add honey if desired. I don't know about anyone else, but it typically takes me about 20oz. of this infusion before my nausea settles, but it works fantastic - and since I'm sensitive to Gravol, I think it's way better.
    [/quote]

I just use a strong mint tea (or, in a pinch, a good breathmint). Works like a charm.
    “If it’s a good idea and it gets you excited, try it, and if it bursts into flames, that’s going to be exciting too. People always ask, ‘What is your greatest failure?’ I always have the same answer — We’re working on it right now, it’s gonna be awesome!”- Jim Coudal