X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for the Cold Season

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/47/33.cfmthese pressure points
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Tips for the Cold Season

I often make a sage tea with lemon and honey (lovingly referred to as "my ooky tea" from the development days when its flavor was more... interesting) when I feel myself getting sick. Seems to sometimes ward off the cold on account of being made of antibacterial substances.

It's not herbal but it bears mentioning: diligent handwashing, covering your coughs, and resting at home if you feel under the weather go a long way!

Comment

in my experience, zinc and vitamin c don't do anything for a cold; yeah if you're deficient in them you're more likely to be infected, but raising the amount in your system won't do jack to help it or prevent it. it's all about having a general stable healthy diet and getting enough sleep in my opinion, but there's no fully preventing a cold. you're a biological creature, you're gonna get sick sometime. (in before the superhuman cases of people who've never been sick or slept in their entire life)

don't skimp out on the sleep. that's what kills it there. I got sick the day after I started work at a 24/7 isolated summer camp, and I was sick the entire time. I don't get sick often, but having to be active 16-17hours a day, not getting full rest, also not getting much vegetables(that's a different story) I was sick for literally 2 months. It was torture ;_;

Comment

[quote author=Hoho link=topic=55.msg1596#msg1596 date=1286876959]
        in my experience, zinc and vitamin c don't do anything for a cold; yeah if you're deficient in them you're more likely to be infected, but raising the amount in your system won't do jack to help it or prevent it.
        [/quote]

the fourm ate the rest of my post, lol...which I think might be fixed (whether or not it stays that way ??? )

There are clinical studies that do show that the proper use of zinc, in nasal gel form, at the earliest onset of a cold reduce the duration of the cold.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

I do a similar chicken soup, but I also add fresh chili peppers when I have them (and dried ones when I don't). Chili has anti-inflammatory properties, plus the spice helps clear your sinuses!

Comment

For nausea: Cut up and slice a chunk of ginger root. Bring it to a boil in a pot of water, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Strain. Add honey if desired. I don't know about anyone else, but it typically takes me about 20oz. of this infusion before my nausea settles, but it works fantastic - and since I'm sensitive to Gravol, I think it's way better.

I also use Oil of Oregano regularly when I'm ill to boost my immune system.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=DanieMarie link=topic=55.msg1661#msg1661 date=1286895356]
              I do a similar chicken soup, but I also add fresh chili peppers when I have them (and dried ones when I don't). Chili has anti-inflammatory properties, plus the spice helps clear your sinuses!
              [/quote]

When its for me, I add cayenne...when its for kids, I leave it out
              sigpic

Comment

I swear by elder flower tea at the onset of a cold. It smells and tastes like cat's urine (please.... don't ask me how I know :-[) but it really does the trick! You can get it as a tincture in teh UK which is much more palatable.

Mr Penry swears by copious amounts of whiskey. Even if it doesn't work, he feels happier about having a cold.... ???
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Echinacea is usually more effective if you start using it about two weeks before your local cold/flu season starts to boost your immune system. If you start it at the onset of your symptoms, you've already got the cold or flu and drinking echinacea isn't going to do much of anything except up your immune response, which will make you more miserable (more sniffling/blowing/hacking/coughing, etc).

Echinacea also isn't meant for long-term therapeutic use. It's best to use in bursts of about 2 weeks before you know you might need it & then avoid it for about a month - like take it a couple of weeks before school starts, or before traveling, or the Yule/Christmas shopping season when you're going to be exposed to large amounts of people in poorly ventilated, overheated spaces that encourage the spread of bacteria and viruses.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=55.msg1666#msg1666 date=1286895576]
                    For nausea: Cut up and slice a chunk of ginger root. Bring it to a boil in a pot of water, and let simmer for 10 minutes. Strain. Add honey if desired. I don't know about anyone else, but it typically takes me about 20oz. of this infusion before my nausea settles, but it works fantastic - and since I'm sensitive to Gravol, I think it's way better.
                    [/quote]

I just use a strong mint tea (or, in a pinch, a good breathmint). Works like a charm.

Comment

i am a nurse that works on a medical/pulmonary unit and we always push people into getting their vaccines (the pneumonia and influenza, which now includes H1N1). But beyond that my biggest suggestion is wash your hands, avoid sick people, get plenty of sleep, and drink green tea =)
                      sigpic

Comment

For a stuffed up nose - 2 handfuls of ivy leaves boiled in 0.5 l vinegar until it remains about 50 gr. One drop per nostril is enough. It smells like old dirty socks but it does help.
                        When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Comment

Just do not try to go to work when it's -40C dry outside, you'll start to freeze in 30 seconds and also, it's likely your car battery is frozen solid! Where I live that can happen in January... local record low temperature -45C where I am now.

Comment

Good lord, man, where do you live?
                            Stay warm!

Comment

"By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Working...
                              X