Imagination Block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imagination Block

Wasn't exactly sure where this belonged.

Any ideas for getting past imagination block? I used to be able to daydream a day away and l've always loved writing and storytelling. But since leaving high school this has been fading away. I know a lot of this is due to maturity, but I actually miss it. I now have a job that's rather tedious at times and would like to be able to daydream the time away, but I've found it almost impossible, like I'm closed off from my imagination.

Anyone know any exercises, etc, that might help me recover this ability?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Imagination Block

I actually found I daydreamed more when I was bored at work. Nothing like boredom to help the mind wander. Maybe you can tap into that a bit?

I don't know if everyone loses the ability when they grow up...otherwise we wouldn't have any novels!

Comment

Yea. That's kind of the problem. I'm bored at work, I want to let my mind wander a bit, but then I just can't. I just want my mind to be able to come up with something distracting and fun like I used to be able to and it's not working.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Play.

That's the secret - just play.

Don't try to "do" something, just get some paper out and start putting words or pictures down. Avoid taking yourself seriously.

IMHO if people do lose the ability to use their imagination as they age, it's because as they grow and get jobs and take on adult responsibilities, they forget how to play.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

^ Agreed.

Sometimes my best day dreams come from me laughing at something that I find silly and making a whole story about it in my head. Also I like to people watch, when I come across someone interesting I often try to imagine their whole life story. You can be as normal or abnormal as you like.

One time I saw this older man with a long gray beard wearing jean cut off shorts and a white tank top on a purple motorcycle and I suddenly remembered how in Harry Potter when the wizards pretended to be muggles they ended up dressing rather odd so I pretended he was Dumbledore revived by the resurrection stone haha. (okay maybe I am just crazy :P)
          sigpic

Comment

lol yea. I can definitely understand the need for play. And I've definitely let that go for quite a while now.

Comment

Working...
            X