Blackberry jam YUM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackberry jam YUM!

Every year I've made a bit of jam or jelly but I usually take all year to eat the few pints I put up. Now that I have a jelly guzzling toddler, I've decided to put up more so I don't have to buy as much! We buy from the farmers market and that stuff is EXPENSIVE!

So our blackberry bushes are DRIPPING right now and we've got tons and tons to process. Time for some blackberry jam!

Gather 4.5 lbs of blackberries, 6.75 cups of sugar and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice:

Dust off the canning equipment (been since last year!). I forget to add the wide mouth funnel. It's a MUST!

Mush the berries in a 2 gallon stainless steel pot. The farm is somehow missing a potato masher so I used a pastry cutter. Worked like a charm!

Add in the sugar and lemon juice and bring to a boil.

Cook for about 15 minutes or until a drop forms a mound on a cool plate. The recipe really warned about over-cooking so after 20 minutes and still no mounding, I went ahead and just called it done. I've not much practice with jams/jellies with no pectin so I figure this is a learning process! Worst case, it's blackberry syrup for pancakes and ice cream. I think I can live with that!

I filled sterilized half pint jars using the much-important wide mouth funnel:

Then loaded up the canner and processed for 10 minutes!

I had to race to town right after taking them out of the bath though, so I haven't even gotten to see the results! Of course, I did taste it before canning. YUM! But looking at all that sugar that went in...no wonder jam is so tasty!
    The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Re: Blackberry jam YUM!

I'm in gastronomic ecstasy. What do I have to do to get on your Christmas list?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Great tutorial madness!!! Hard to believe you have blackberries this early in the year. When I was living in Utah we didn't get them until almost fall!
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Corbin, with all the great things you've given me in the past, you ARE on my Christmas list! I still have something I want to make for you. One day, one day...

Dez, there are few benefits to living in this climate, one of which is soft fruits early in the year to get your out of the winter blues. Nothing like breaking the monotony of kale, turnips and cabbage with some blackberry jam!

The jam appears to have not set very well. But the chunky fruit in it makes it fairly spreadable for toast. We use a lot of jam to flavor yogurt, so the thickness doesn't matter there. Still haven't opened a jar - going to try to wait a week to see if any gelling occurs!

Comment

That looks sooooo good
          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Tried out the "jam" this morning! I didn't wait the full week, but stuck a jar in the fridge. It's pretty dang thin, more like syrup. Oh well, it was GREAT on homemade scones with cream cheese!

Comment

Working...
            X