How do gods come to be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do gods come to be?

How do they come to be? Who are they created by? Are they based on people that have existed?

Re: How do gods come to be?

No idea. Over to you. What do you think?
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Depends on the god. I'd say some were born, other created, some just began existing. Theres probably more ways than that too. Theres really no way for us to know the answer
      Circe

Comment

People invent them.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

They came to be because we needed them. For me at least, Corbin's choice of the word "invented" seems too conscious...too aware.

I think gods fill a niche, a need created by a particular society or represent needs and values. Often in modern times, what is being worshiped in that fashion isn't always recognized as a god either.
          Last edited by Dez; 26 May 2012, 08:40.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
            They came to be because we needed them. For me at least, Corbin's choice of the word "invented" seems too conscious...too aware.
            LOL - yes, I should have said "created." invention is one of the later stages of creation.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I think God's are mans way of personifying the energy that is out there. Or the personifying of the many different aspects of one cosmic power that be. By personifying either of these, it becomes more tangible, more bendable, easier to work with. We can gain better focus through this as personified things are things the human mind can understand.

Comment

Originally posted by greenhead View Post
                How do they come to be? Who are they created by? Are they based on people that have existed?
                If gods were created by something then they aren't really gods to begin with. Why would the created be more worthy of worship than the creator?
                [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                  If gods were created by something then they aren't really gods to begin with. Why would the created be more worthy of worship than the creator?
                  I agree. I believe everything has a creator. Which means....even God. Which goes against the very idea of God. Which means...something is very false.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                    I both agree and disagree with you here, Dumuzi. I do agree that the archetypical idea of god as omnipotent and omnipresent is a requirement for a lot of people's idea of what a god is, and I think a lot of that sentiment arises from the idea of god as creator.

However, as someone who believes that the source of life is not an entity not sentient in the way often insisted by those believing in a creator god, I think god, as an idea, is actually a construction of the psyche, the same way a "broken heart" is a way for us to frame the literal heartache that results from love lost, for instance, and that such constructs can be given power or not given power, the same way that the economy is an idea given power by those who participate in it daily. Or, maybe even better, the way that math is a philosophical concept of logic that works perfectly because it was designed to work within its own limits. Math is highly applicable, but it is not "real." It is a construction of thought and logic that is also a tool in our existence.

Therefore, gods can be applicable tools in daily life just as math is while remaining a construction of ideas rather than a bonafied entity who created the Earth.

But also, the creation and not the creator is so often worshipped in human society it's not even funny. Today, many people will passionately argue that art and invention belongs to humanity, not its original creator, and on the other side as well, where the creator has every right to appropriate, alter, or restrict their creation/invention.

Do not mistake me. Ideas move mountains, topple regimes, and can alter our everyday perception of the world. And, of course, they cannot be slain. They are, for all intents and purposes, invulnerable, all-powerful, and can very well save your soul. That sounds like godliness to me.

Comment

The Gods are what we make of them. Powerful, or powerless.

Mostly art.

Comment

I recently read some shamanism books and felt I have finally answered this for myself. Sometimes it's hard to get the science and magic to work together in my head. The shamans in the books talked about Midgard not being Earth but an Earth like place they used to jump to other lands in that system. What if all god and their realms were places like Earth on different planes that for whatever reason we can interact with those beings and vice versa. Asgard, Olympus and Heaven are all real places somewhere that for whatever reason beings there can visit Earth. I sounds like alien theory and I guess it is but not in the sense of coming here on space ships. To me the gods are all legit beings but that's all UPG.

Comment

Gods were created by man to give them some sort of archetypal role model and to be cast in in their various mythologies.

As for The Great Spirit, there was no beginning and there is no end. Even before time there was mystery, animus, vitalism, aether, whatever. That is the Great One's realm, and there can be no creation or destruction of that energy, only transference and interference.
                          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Often I think God was created by man to control other men and gain social advancement...

But I do truly believe there is some divinity watching over us, influencing us. I do not know where it came from, I am just glad that it is there.
                            Last edited by LiadanWillows; 29 May 2012, 07:52. Reason: first post created in anger :P
                            sigpic

Comment

Deities were created with the rest of the Universe when the Universe came into being. But their existence is dependent on belief and/or the sheer existence of what they *are*. The names and faces we give them are purely cultural and are a reflection of us.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X